What has been your favorite positional group as a fan?

pollino14

Kind of a fun little thread. It's been a rough week for us, so I think we need something fun/ light-hearted.

Today I was just thinking about some of my past favorite Packers and was thinking how lucky we've been throughout the years at certain positions, so I thought to ask what your guys' favorite groups are.

For me personally, CB, WR and OT have always had players I really enjoyed.

I'm 26, so I'm listing players from the early 2000s and beyond

1.  CB- It really started with Al Harris for me. I just loved his tough, gritty attitude. He may not have been the fastest, and his physicality sometimes got him in trouble (man, TO ate his lunch sometimes!)but the guy always battled. Chuck Woodson's tenure here was some of the most entertaining times as a Packer fan. With him you can tell how savvy he was, knowing where to be and baiting QBs, it truly was a treat. His DPOY year was one of the best years I've seen from a defensive player. Tramon and Sammy Shields were two in the same for me. I will never forget their clutch TOs during our SB run. Tramon's INT during the ATL game and the clincher vs Philly are two of my favorite plays. 

2. WR- Two of my favorite personalities on our team were Greg Jennings (while on our team) and Donald Driver. Both had infectious, fun loving personalities and were nothing but class while they were here. They were also are my favorite type of WRs, guys who were great after the catch. I loved when we used to run those slants and seeing them taking it to the house. Jennings had a few of my favorite plays, his double move in the SB beating Troy P, Favre's record tying and breaking TD pass, the game winning catch vs Den in OT. Jordy has been another class act. I love watching his breakaway speed and his chemistry with Aaron. Javon Walker had one of my favorite years for a WR. James Jones physical style was also fun to watch as he was a different WR than we've had recently. Cobb hasn't been my favorite, but I will always remember his reception vs Chicago giving us the division!

3. OT- It was very tough decision for me picking OT or OG, but I ultimately chose OT. I remember how good Wahle was, but Clifton and Tauscher were always my guys. They both represented consistency and toughness for a long period of time. I remember how Chad struggled run blocking towards the end, but still was tough as nails vs the pass lol. Bulaga reminds me a bit of the same, only I think he's a better run blocker than Chad and a better pass blocker than Tauscher. Very well rounded, gamer. I really enjoy the growth from Bahktiari, I didn't expect it. He was thrown to the wolves from the beginning, battled and battled. I just never thought he would be better than average, boy was I wrong! He certainly has become one of the better LTs in the game, and his best years are ahead. Very fun personality as well, dude is straight up hilarious!

What kind of positional groups have you enjoyed the most throughout the years?

14 hours ago, pollino14 said:

1.  CB- It really started with Al Harris for me. I just loved his tough, gritty attitude. He may not have been the fastest, and his physicality sometimes got him in trouble (man, TO ate his lunch sometimes!)but the guy always battled. Chuck Woodson's tenure here was some of the most entertaining times as a Packer fan. With him you can tell how savvy he was, knowing where to be and baiting QBs, it truly was a treat. His DPOY year was one of the best years I've seen from a defensive player. Tramon and Sammy Shields were two in the same for me. I will never forget their clutch TOs during our SB run. Tramon's INT during the ATL game and the clincher vs Philly are two of my favorite plays. 

Totally agree. Al Harris is probably my favorite Packer of all time. The original honey badger

Man, that's easy.  Huge Favre fan here.  Dude played QB when QB's could get hit.  And he played the game with more or less a linebacker's mentality.  Too many highlights to list.  Thing I remember about him from the early days...his appearance on There's Something About Mary.  Guy was 270 at that time.  Body was completely different than what it is now, or what it was at the end of his career.  He was built like a freakin' tank.  

Then you had his personality and his pranks.  Great stuff there.

Add in a little Detmer, a little Brunell, a little Hasselbeck and now a lot of Rodgers and it's been a great ride as a Packer fan.

Far cry from a beat up Dickey, Whitehurst, Rich Campbell, Randy Wright, Blair Keil, Dilweg, Chuck Fusina,(always though the headline should have read "Packers Chuck...Fusina" when he was cut), Majkowski.

7 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Man, that's easy.  Huge Favre fan here.  Dude played QB when QB's could get hit.  And he played the game with more or less a linebacker's mentality.  Too many highlights to list.  Thing I remember about him from the early days...his appearance on There's Something About Mary.  Guy was 270 at that time.  Body was completely different than what it is now, or what it was at the end of his career.  He was built like a freakin' tank.  

Then you had his personality and his pranks.  Great stuff there.

Add in a little Detmer, a little Brunell, a little Hasselbeck and now a lot of Rodgers and it's been a great ride as a Packer fan.

Far cry from a beat up Dickey, Whitehurst, Rich Campbell, Randy Wright, Blair Keil, Dilweg, Chuck Fusina,(always though the headline should have read "Packers Chuck...Fusina" when he was cut), Majkowski.

I wonder if guys in their early to mid 30s have a different view of Favre than people in their mid-late 20s. Favre had some great years, and I enjoyed watching him play, but I didn't get to see him in his prime elite years.

I think we do.  I'm 43.  I remember the horrible QB's from Dickey on to Majkowski.  So when Favre became good, it was huge to me and hooked me as a fan for life.

Don't get me wrong, I love Rodgers, but it's different than I felt about Favre.  Favre will always be the man to me.

I don't blame the organization for moving on from him, either.  Tough spot that Favre put them into.  Favre was no saint (and that's putting it lightly).  But still, he's the guy that I'll always remember the most.

Just remember this...whatever GB is now, or becomes in the future, it all started when Favre took the field against the Bengals.  He put GB on the track that it is running on today.  Think of what the stadium was versus what it is now.  Think of the revenue that GB receives, as a community, in part because of Favre's play.  Sure Wolf and Holmgren and even White had a lot to do with it, but let's face it, Favre was the engine that made it all happen.

Very happy to see that Rodgers is continuing the track that Favre put down...and expanding upon it.

Archived