You’re Cincy: What would it take from Miami?

DirtyDez

On 3/23/2020 at 9:54 PM, .Buzz said:

You hang up the phone and don't listen, imo...

It's too hard to find franchise QBs. Trading down when you have one sitting right in front of you isn't an option.

Actually it is. When your team is so bad that your franchise QB gets sucked in then what's the point in getting one. They need foundation players to surround a franchise Qb and then drop one in a proven and talented surrounding cast. Otherwise you stay like the Browns. 

Edited by Calvert28

19 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

It would be so much that there’s no way Miami would do it. Cincy is taking Burrow. Fans are already all on the bandwagon. Burrow=butts in seats=$$$ for Mike Brown. If they pass on Burrow the city would burn. There would be sooooo many empty seats 

I think the only way it would work is if Cincinnati wasnt as high on Burrow as the rest of us are.  If you don't think Burrow is the guy, it'd make sense to capitalize on his value.  Miami has the most draft assets to work with, but I'd probably focus more on what you can get in 2021 than this year.  At the bare minimum, I'd want #5, #18, and at least one (if not two) first round picks in 2021.  The Dolphins' 2021 FRP being non-negotiable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Actually it is. When your team is so bad that your franchise QB gets sucked in then what's the point in getting one. They need foundation players to surround a franchise Qb and then drop one in a proven and talented surrounding cast. Otherwise you stay like the Browns. 

Then you don't start him right away and build up around him while he's there/in the fold and worry about that later?

Not to mention you have your first round pick in Jonah from last year coming in at LT, AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate, etc. for him to throw to as currently constructed. The cupboards are hardly barren.

You definitely don't pass up on one sitting right in front of you and build up elsewhere and hope you get lucky enough to be in this position again when tons of organizations in the NFL are where they are because they haven't had the opportunity of a can't miss prospect at the QB position/failing on a premium pick at the position and taking an obvious risk of s guy that has more questions than you'd like.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Then you don't start him right away and build up around him while he's there/in the fold and worry about that later?

Not to mention you have your first round pick in Jonah from last year coming in at LT, AJ Green, Tyler Boyd, Auden Tate, etc. for him to throw to as currently constructed. The cupboards are hardly barren.

This would be logical for a Bill Billicheck who has final say on pretty much anything. But take a look at what just happened with the Redskins this past year. 

An owner who wants to sell jerseys or a GM who's job is riding on the line may force the issue to make it look like they are getting stuff done. Having someone sit like Rodgers is rare especially for a top 10 selection to not tlsee the field all year is going to be getting hate mail.

Sure it sounds logical when you say it but public pressure is a b**** in the football world. 

Just now, Calvert28 said:

This would be logical for a Bill Billicheck who has final say on pretty much anything. But take a look at what just happened with the Redskins this past year. 

An owner who wants to sell jerseys or a GM who's job is riding on the line may force the issue to make it look like they are getting stuff done. Having someone sit like Rodgers is rare especially for a top 10 selection to not tlsee the field all year is going to be getting hate mail.

Sure it sounds logical when you say it but public pressure is a b**** in the football world. 

Again though, the cupboards are hardly barren even if they do (and should) toss him out there right away. This isn't a situation where he's playing with a team with no talent anywhere.

He has a a few very solid receiving threats, basically a second 1st round pick in Jonah Williams coming in at LT, and the rest of the draft to continue adding around him while some solid pieces on defense.

You don't pass up a franchise QB sitting there right in front of you when you don't have one. You just don't.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Again though, the cupboards are hardly barren even if they do (and should) toss him out there right away. This isn't a situation where he's playing with a team with no talent anywhere.

He has a a few very solid receiving threats, basically a second 1st round pick in Jonah Williams coming in at LT, and the rest of the draft to continue adding around him while some solid pieces on defense.

You don't pass up a franchise QB sitting there right in front of you when you don't have one. You just don't.

Yea but that wasnt your statement. You said you cant pass on a franchise QB and I just threw out a situation where you should if you dont have the environment to let them grow. 

Besides franchise QBs are easier to find now more then ever. At the very least capable starters are there to draft with the game rules now giving them an easier time to adjust to the pro game. Just ask the guy in your avatar. 

7 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Yea but that wasnt your statement. You said you cant pass on a franchise QB and I just threw out a situation where you should if you dont have the environment to let them grow. 

Besides franchise QBs are easier to find now more then ever. At the very least capable starters are there to draft with the game rules now giving them an easier time to adjust to the pro game. Just ask the guy in your avatar. 

Although I love Minshew, even I don't think he's a franchise QB yet. There's hope there sure, but there's only a handful of legit franchise QBs that would cause a team to pass up a QB if there was one sitting in front of them.

Id still take a QB even if you didn't have the right makeup around them if they were there in the draft when I was picking. You don't pass up the chance of Burrow (heck, reverse it to the Jaguars 2013 roster and give us the 1st pick this year...go look at how terrible that roster was) regardless. There's too few of those level of QBs that he has the potential to be and you don't know if/when you'll have another opportunity.

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Correct. Also the cupboard is never anything close to bare in the NFL, not with a common draft and salary cap. There were threads here early last season ridiculing the Dolphins as certain to go 0-16 and become the worst team of all time. Meanwhile that team won 5 games and lost two others by 1 point apiece.

Draft sites invariably overrate the non-quarterbacks because so much time is spent evaluating everything. It becomes too much of a chess piece mentality. The quarterback position is deemed overrated when it's actually underrated. Position players move around when the contract is up. Elite quarterbacks don't move around. The examples of that are next to nothing. Once you have that golden guy you cherish him for a decade plus and hope that one year it's your turn. For the Chiefs it came early and nearly earlier still. 

It makes no sense whatsoever to fortify the team first while assuming you'll plug in the quarterback later. Oh sure, those guys are just sitting there. The Deshaun Watson and Patrick Mahomes examples are lending far to much faith in ability to pluck those guys in the middle of round one. Outliers should be recognized as outliers. Teams picking in those spots just a few years earlier ended up with guys like Eli Manuel and Christian Ponder. 

If you build the foundation with star players and then inject the quarterback let's say 2 years later, the window is tiny because those guys will soon need to be paid and your rookie quarterback is still learning the ropes. You've done everything bass ackwards. 

Cincinnati should never pass on Burrow unless -- as CWood21 posted -- somehow they don't have him rated as elite. If they did decide to deal you strangle Miami and keep strangling. That franchise has an owner into his 80s and desperate to win. Supposedly Stephen Ross loved Lamar Jackson but the Dolphins scouting department ignored him. Now there are reports that Ross loves Burrow. If that's true then I'm not going to assign any limit to how far he might be willing to go. It would be beyond anything that made sense from mock trades or a draft value chart. 

Just now, johndeere1707 said:

Why would the Bengals do a dead even trade? Miami has to overpay if they want the top pick. 

If I love Burrow, Miami has to overpay. I don't love Burrow, so Miami doesn't have to overpay. I'll take #5, #18, #39, and a starting LB. Then I sign Jameis for 1 year.

3 minutes ago, Jeezla said:

If I love Burrow, Miami has to overpay. I don't love Burrow, so Miami doesn't have to overpay. I'll take #5, #18, #39, and a starting LB. Then I sign Jameis for 1 year.

Then you would be a terrible owner. If you have the #1 pick you don’t give it up for an even trade. 

4 minutes ago, johndeere1707 said:

Then you would be a terrible owner. If you have the #1 pick you don’t give it up for an even trade. 

I'd rather have Jedrick Willis, one of Kristian Fulton/CJ Henderson, and one of Cesar Ruiz/Robert Hunt (Plus a starting LB) over just Chase Young. Maybe you'd be the terrible GM.

Edited by Jeezla
  • Like 1