It will be nice to see the draft in a small room

viper952

1 hour ago, THE DUKE said:

Given how starved for sports people are already, this is going to be the highest rated draft of all time even if the format they choose sucks.  They really should try to keep it as close to normal as possible, just without people next to each other.  Easy enough to split screen 2-4 guys talking with the draft info on the bottom.

NFL draft around the horn style??? I'm in.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Tugboat said:

The time for analysis is before the draft.

The draft itself...i love that it's a ridiculous overblown spectacle.  Day 1 at least.  It makes it feel special and exciting.  I like excitement, and drama, and controversy.

After that, nobody really cares anyway...the spectacle dies off, and it's just normal.  By Day 3...the coverage has basically become a joke.  Just loudmouths sitting there playing "games" and blabbing about other stuff while falling 10 picks behind in the actual order and occasionally spouting a random anecdote that has nothing to do with football.

It's really not going to be the same without the energy of a live audience.  It had to be done this way.  I'm glad they've been responsible about it.  There's zero reason for them to take those risks and jeopardize so much for what does amount to a pretty frivolous pageant.  I'm just not "excited" about the prospect of a pretty dry, flat NFL draft this year.  It's just one of a plethora of things that are going to be disappointing and weird as a result of this whole thing.

How old are you?  Don't you remember how the draft was when it was on for just one day?  It would start around noon on a Saturday on ESPN and all 7 rounds would be done in one day.

I grew up watching the draft in the early 2000s this way and it was fun to watch cause it was all about the football analysis.  There weren't as many shows dedicated to the draft before the draft back then.  So for most football fans who don't watch college football religiously the NFL draft was when you learned about these players.

I miss that way of doing things.  I know it won't come back.  But for one year it'll be nice to see something a little closer to the way it used to be. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, VanS said:

How old are you?  Don't you remember how the draft was when it was on for just one day?  It would start around noon on a Saturday on ESPN and all 7 rounds would be done in one day.

I grew up watching the draft in the early 2000s this way and it was fun to watch cause it was all about the football analysis.  There weren't as many shows dedicated to the draft before the draft back then.  So for most football fans who don't watch college football religiously the NFL draft was when you learned about these players.

I miss that way of doing things.  I know it won't come back.  But for one year it'll be nice to see something a little closer to the way it used to be. 

In the early 2000's, the draft was held over 2 days, not one.

• Like 3

It’s going to suck for the NFL and ESPN, but I will appreciate the fact it won’t be a circus.

I’m happy that I won’t need to worry about players on my team doing something stupid in the offseason. Just focus on football and not the outside noise.

4 hours ago, Forge said:

In the early 2000's, the draft was held over 2 days, not one.

When you're a lil kids, days seem to blend together.  But yeah you're right.  It was over 2 days.  Either way it was alot more fun to watch back then before it turned into a circus over the last 4-5 years.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Given how starved for sports people are already, this is going to be the highest rated draft of all time even if the format they choose sucks.  They really should try to keep it as close to normal as possible, just without people next to each other.  Easy enough to split screen 2-4 guys talking with the draft info on the bottom.

just have every gm live stream from wherever the picks 

8 hours ago, VanS said:

I don't think the draft has been a single day since...literally before i was born?  Certainly since before i was old enough to even follow it in any meaningful capacity.  It's been a 2-day event as long as i can actually remember really following it.  The 3-day evolution is...whatever, but that has obviously been very recent.

Idk...i'm not young.  But even if i was...what credence does that lend to anything if i'm old enough to remember a 1-day draft?  I enjoy what the draft has become.  It's fun.  It celebrates and makes a huge event of something that i thoroughly invest myself in every year in hobby scouting.  I think that's very cool, and fun.

As long as they can do it safely and find a way to make it a compelling product, I LOVE that the draft is moving forward as scheduled.

Normally I think the draft is kinda ridiculous and drawn out at this point (was better when it was just over the weekend), but with NOTHING else sports related to compete with, I think the NFL should take full advantage of this, and just lean all the way into spreading it out. Make it the better part of a week for all I care. Split up the first round into two nights maybe. Make it 5 nights: 1st half of first round, 2nd half of first round, 2nd round, 3rd/4th, 5th/6th/7th round. Really go deep into highlights, examining rosters, how the picks fit in, analysis, rumors, whatever.

Seriously, the stuff that would normally annoy me, I'd be totally okay with at this point, and it would be a friggin' coup for the NFL since they would have all eyeballs.

On 3/25/2020 at 5:56 AM, THE DUKE said:

I really think this is why Goodell is keeping it in place. It's going to be a ratings bonanza. 

On 3/23/2020 at 11:47 PM, Bearerofnews said:

They should have chat room, with all the rookies on there and the chat room is on the tv screen, like a split screen and we can see the players talking trash.

Tua: "wow they took herbert before me, what a joke"

Tua leaves chat..

Love: "im about to be picked before tua, watch"

Tua enters the chat..

Tua: if Love goes before me, im going back to Alabama.

Rodger Goodell: 😋

Marshawn Lynch pops up to announce the Seahawks’ pick. “I’m just here so I don’t get fined”

• Like 1

For pure football fans, this is going to be the best draft in years.

All the BS is removed... the lets talk about who designed your suit... the I see your whole family is here ... the what does mum have to say about her son ... the hat and jersey putting on ... the slow walk ... the bear hugs ... the sideline report with the college coach saying im so proud of my guys, like they are a cars salesman.

Its hopefully going to be raw .... big boards and team needs on the screen, with lots and lots of pure NFL commentary from 2-3 analysts