JLA Mafia Game Thread DAY 4

Blue

16 minutes ago, Webmaster said:

I honestly don't really understand mafia.  Anytime I read one of the topics, I just want to warn everyone for insults.  However, I think it's always just a bunch of jokes and everyone is friends on some level.  I try to just stay out of them and ignore them unless there is a big problem.

Let's see if they will self police and keep things under control.  That would be better than me having to come in and lock everything down.  

From Webby, re: Mafia.

Self police. Keep things under control.

I think we all understand when we cross lines in these games; I am just as guilty as any of you are, so this applies to myself as well as anyone else. But... we need to be more self aware of our behavior towards one another, as well as work with each other to maintain a common ground of what is acceptable and what is not acceptable. 

If we do that, we can still play. 

Hope this helps.

- ET

• Like 2

Just as a quick reminder, the rules of the site are still in effect for Mafia games; If you're not familiar with these rules, please review.

Tks.

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/guidelines/

Forum Rules 

• Do not post anything abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs. 
  • Personal attacks, name calling, and threats to other members are not allowed. 
  • Do not flame or troll. This is when you start a topic or post just to anger or incite other members.  
  • You may not discuss race, religion, politics, or sexual-orientation on these forums. This includes references in usernames, signatures, avatars, and PMs. 
  • You are only allowed one username. Anyone caught with multiple usernames may receive a ban.  

9 minutes ago, Blue said:

Let's start with the 3rd party scum, because frankly, they had next to zero impact on this game.

@Dome was

I think after Dome's performance in the last couple games, he was on everybody's **** list. He was targeted with not one but TWO ability investigations on N1. Killing Xmad was a good choice because his ability worked during the Day, which meant Dome had a clear fakeclaim going forward and could do something every Day AND Night phase going forward. Sucks that the Serial Killer got got so early on. But he still accounted for the elimination of one Townie, which was more than the other guy did:

@MWil23 was

I think Mwil had scum fatigue in this one. Pretty much everybody was on to him by the end of Day 1, and I knew he was in for a tough game after seeing all the Day 1 votes he racked up. Both Town AND Mafia roleblocked him N1, then Town again on N2 when Swag Vig killed him, denying Mafia a badly-need non-Mafia lynch on Day 3. He had a great plan and no restrictions on recruiting, and I think if he had just laid low instead of actively trying to look scummy, he could have coasted to a win.

Cult and SK going out early after only accounting for one lost Townie was just brutal for Mafia, who were suddenly the sole focus of Town in the game. They were effectively fighting a 15-5 deficit, and that's not taking into account that they had a 1 for 1 trade on Night 1 that brought it down to 13-4 by the start of Day 3. But we'll get to Mafia last.

@Ragnarok was

Rags already said he wasn't going to be around much, and I figured he would have some fun with being an Innocent Child role from the get-go. His plan was to use his ability on Swag at the last minute and vote for him, thus ensuring Swag would be the lynch on Day 4. This would have caused utter chaos, as you'll see in the Mafia section. It is quite possible that Swag's flip as Crime Syndicate of America Aligned would have led to a Pickle Rick mislynch the next Day, giving Mafia a three-person head start on the endgame to potentially salvage a win.

@Malfatron was

In hindsight, I overpowered the lie detector a little bit; I intended to make it so Malf could only lie detect posts from the most recent Day phase, which would have saved Mwil for a short while. As I told Malf in deadchat, he wouldn't have lived to Day 2 if I was scum in this game: he's a very analytical player with strong instincts for scumplay. I don't know why FIVE (5) scum voted to lynch Biggio on Day 1; they all knew he wasn't on their team, and he was a big loss for Town no matter what his alignment. Delay making a decision and let him die, nobody is going to really call you on it. He managed to clear Josh and nail Mwil, so all in all, a good game. He did get fooled by the fake Crime Syndicate align in deadchat and (quite understandably) didn't buy Daboyle's roleclaim or redirect claims, but since Finn wasn't paying attention, that didn't really matter. It might have had Finn finally woken up and started pushing deadchat's suspicions, though.

@JoshstraDaymus was

This was such a good game from Josh in terms of threadplay that a few of the chat people thought he was in a faction or mason group. Motivating Swag worked out well for Town, although he missed Day 2 and therefore failed to motivate that Night as a result. Counselor + Malf clearing him really hurt Mafia too, since they knew he wasn't an investigator and therefore couldn't afford wasting a Nightkill on him.

@Matts4313 was

Matts apparently came across as a little scummy, which I thought was going to end in his death via Town Vig, but due to a perplexing decision by Pickle Rick, he made it to Day 4. His comment to Pickle Rick about "not being in touch with the game" was hilarious to me knowing about the masons.

@theuntouchable was

For being milly-vanilly, Touch was solid enough. He and Matts managed to convince Mafia that Touch was an ability cop, which made them wary but not enough to actually try to kill him--especially since Forge decided to try to buddy up to him via softclaim on Day 2. They were convinced Daboyle was lying about being either Town or a protector, so I think they would have gladly gone along with Mafia's plan for a mislynch there. Excitingly, Matts caught Touch visiting Malf the Night Malf died...despite knowing Touch had no Night action originally. I would have loved to see how that played out once the fake Crime Syndicate alignment showed up.

@squire12 was

This is a role that I think Squire would have had a huge late-game impact with, as it would have allowed him to share thoughts on the game anonymously with whomever. He didn't get a chance to because of a N1 kill, but he did manage to take out Mafia on the way down, so a pretty good game all things considered. He had a great spreadsheet going in deadchat to help solve the game as well.

@bcb1213 was

Good targets from bcb, and I thought Whicker was a total goner when he got caught going to Pickle's place on the Night of a guilty invest. I don't think bcb was long for this game after Day 4, and I would have been surprised if Mafia didn't kill him that Night.

@Counselor was

Counselor was the unfortunate victim of a rare successful frame job, as he investigated Pickle Rick the same Night that Whicker hit him. He was going to look like a goddamn hero to Town by the end of Day 5 and probably would have cost them the game if he had managed to push a Pickle Rick lynch on Day 3 instead of Amac. I think Mafia underestimated what a willing accomplice Counselor would have been had they opted to keep redirecting him to targets they had framed; he didn't seem suspicious of his results at all.

On a related note: even though I gave Mafia safe fake rolenames, Forge decided he would claim Elongated Man instead, figuring "Dibny is a detective in the comics, so it makes sense for him to be a rolecop here." My face thinking about how that's going to go over:

tenor.gif?itemid=5276507

Then, when Counselor straight up roleclaimed Elongated Man, there was literally no discussion in scumchat about it beyond "there goes your fakeclaim lol." I don't think it ever crossed their minds that he was a Cop until he straight up said it on Day 3.

giphy.gif

@Pickle Rick was

Rick was on his way to a respectable game blocking the Cult the first two Nights and generally pushing non-Town. Then, he was chosen to be Vig for N3. Who did he choose to kill? Was it the guy he had already put in to block and was suspicious of in Whicker? Nope! It was...Kingseanjohn. It wasn't the worst choice, I suppose, but I was stunned to see that was the pick because it made very little sense. Since Whicker had framed him, and he required one less vote to lynch after the KSJ kill, I think he was a shoo-in for a mislynch Day 5, buying Mafia another Night to put things together.

@ET80 was

Really a borderline MVP level game here from ET in my opinion. Great choices of who to give the Vig kill to each of the first two Nights, leading to scum deaths in each case. Pickle Rick was an odd choice, and I'm not sure if ET just misread his PM and thought he couldn't choose the same player twice ever. Nobody had a clue that ET was the one handing out the kills. He was targeting the soon-to-be-dead Swag on D4, which meant no Town kill on N4, and then I think there was a strong chance Forge could have ended up with it on N5...which would have led to bad times for Ragnarok if not for, y'know, other things.

@kingseanjohn was

Relatively non-descript game from a player who couldn't be around much, but he didn't make any glaring, brutal mistakes. Doublevote can be fun to hammer people when they think they're safe-ish, so I'm glad he got the chance to do that to Amac, lol.

@biggio7 was

I don't know why Biggio got lynched Day 1, either him specifically or just anyone in general. Made things easier for me to keep track of in the vote count, though. Not a win for Mafia, who didn't get a Town power role mislynched.

@FinneasGage was

Finn basically did the bare minimum to avoid being replaced in this game and didn't contribute much, if anything, from his role. Deadchat was full of things they wanted to say, but he checked in like once every three days and never actually posted anything they told him to post. This was probably a blessing in disguise, as deadchat had fallen for the fake Crime Syndicate alignment hook line and sinker, and also believed Daboyle was scum. Finn could have been a huge factor if he had shown up for lategame, though. Swag would have been a valid revive target under certain circumstances as well, which didn't occur in this game for a variety of reasons.

@daboyle250 was

Poor Daboyle probably should have just been lynched Day 1, because nothing he did at Night mattered. He got redirected twice in the first two Nights because scum knew it was safe to do so (sort of), then he targeted a player that nobody else who targeted him that Night could visit anyways. He was due for a mislynch and worse, Mafia knew he lied about his N1 target and could use that against him.

@SwoleXmad was

I have long since learned not to gaze into the abyss that is Xmad's mind, but I assume his rationale (if there was one) behind fakeclaiming Nightwing was to draw a hit for a Town power role, which I think he did. I'm not sure how a Blue Beetle claim would have gone down anyways. This wasn't a terribly strong role, but he had a lot of opportunity to help Town or give scum a leg up with his Day targets.

@SwAg was

Swag was well on his way to a Game MVP and easy win if he could just act like a ******* adult. The first part of his wincon was practically achieved for him, although I fully expected him to assassinate Ragnarok N2 when he was granted a kill by ET. His reads of all the Town players in the game were going to draw heavy suspicion after he would have flipped Crime Syndicate Aligned on Day 4, which was really going to screw things up, and I can only imagine what would have happened after Whicker revived him.

@Forge was

Forge was solid, although I think he could have been more aggressive in pushing cases in the thread after Dome died. I think he also really overthought their Night moves in scumchat, which isn't a criticism of him so much as a common thing that happens when you're Mafia. Having a free pass on lynches as long as he had a teammate gave the Legion some hope in the lategame if they could trick Town into voting for him and buying another Night phase.

@amac was

A lot of people were suspicious of Amac but didn't have much to put to it until he was caught killing Malfatron, a calculated risk by Mafia that they really had no other option for at that point. If Mafia had pushed the Pickle Rick frame harder on D3, I think they could have put themselves in a very good position going forward and saved Amac for at least another Night, which they really needed.

@The Orca was

Mafia had discussed using Sinestro's one-shot on Night 1, and while it was probably the right move in hindsight, they couldn't have known Orca would die that early. Orca was an asset in Mafia chat afterwards, although he kept worrying about things that logically didn't make sense and I had to restrain myself from pointing it out. Losing Orca on N1 sucked, but it was probably a best-case scenario for Mafia in terms of roles if they had to lose one.

@DingoLadd was

So much for Blue not putting in another Mafia at the last minute, right? Writing this PM was a lot of fun and he was the last role I cut for the game, so of course I added him in. He unwittingly killed Orca on N1 by swapping Squire and Daboyle's targets, but given Squire wanted to kill Amac, Mafia were gonna get got anyways. He was struggling for a fakeclaim by the time the game ended, but I think he skirts by for a while without suspicion given what was going on in thread. Really solid game from him, and the flavor of the Bizarro kills was going to throw suspicion on Rags, too.

@Whicker was

Poor Whicker was facing an uphill battle for a win in lategame, but I would have loved to see how it would have played out. In hindsight, I think I actually underpowered this role by not changing the role names of the framed players to their CSA counterparts, but the goal was to make Town think there was another scum or recruiting faction out there; Mafia didn't seem to figure that out until I basically told them that was the point in chat. Framing Pickle and Swag would have worked out really well thanks to thread interactions, and Mafia totally had deadchat sold on the presence of a third scum faction. Whicker was on the verge of getting caught, but throwing disinformation out there with either a Rick or Swag lynch would probably have saved him for a long time.

tl;dr: Put simply, it is difficult to imagine how the first two Day/Night cycles and Day 3 could have gone any worse for scum. Still, they looked to be getting back on track near the end and could possibly have pulled it off. A shame that things went sideways and we couldn't finish the game.

1 minute ago, Blue said:

Yeah, I'll just copy and paste the role list

1.      Superman, JLA Aligned

As the Man of Steel, you have always been the face of the Justice League. Now, full of newfound resolve after the death of your beloved Lois Lane, you are needed more than ever to guide them into a new era.

You are revealed to everyone as Town at the start of the game. One Day phase during the game, you may force the lynch to be between you and one other player of your choice; all votes for any other player or No Lynch will not count. You may not be killed during the Night phase unless the killer possesses Kryptonite.

You win when all villains are eliminated.

2.      Wonder Woman, JLA Aligned

Amazon Queen of the Justice League, defender of the innocent, and guardian of truth! Your skills are varied and powerful, but each of them takes a great deal of effort on your part.

You may use one of the following abilities each Day/Night cycle (i.e., if you use your Day ability on Day 1, you can’t use your Night protection until Night 2):

-          During the Day, you may lie detect a post of your choice

-          During the Night, you may protect a player of your choice from being killed

3.      The Flash, JLA Aligned

The Fastest Man Alive, even Superman can’t beat you in a race. For this game, you’ll be sharing your Speed Force powers with others to enable them to be in two places at once.

Each Day, you may motivate a player of your choice so that they can perform their action twice the following Night phase.

4.      Green Arrow, JLA Aligned

Living in the shadows, you’re a silent guardian of the innocent. You may not have the sheer power of your allies in the Justice League, but between you and your partner, you can get word out about any shenanigans that might happen in the seedy underbelly of the world.

Each Night, you may watch a player of your choice to learn who targets them. You may communicate outside the thread with your partner, Black Canary; you are both Town.

5.      Aquaman, JLA Aligned

King of the Sea! Your power to communicate with water-based lifeforms is often ridiculed, but using them, you can send messages to your allies in the Justice League to strategize in secret for the coming battle.

Each Night, you may send me a message of 150 words or less to be delivered to another player of your choice. It will be delivered via PM to your target in the form of an anonymous quote.

6.      The Atom, JLA Aligned

Size matters? Maybe it does, but for you, it means that people don’t notice when you decide to tag along for their Nightly excursions. Who knows what you’ll see that others don’t want you to know about?

Each Night, you may track a player of your choice to learn their Night target.

7.      Elongated Man, JLA Aligned

You may not be Batman, but your biggest contributions to the Justice League have never been your superpowers of stretching and bending. What you bring to the table are your deductive reasoning and talent for spotting clues that others would miss.

Each Night, you may choose one player to investigate and learn their alignment.

8.      Green Lantern Corps, JLA Aligned

Not just one Green Lantern, but all of them! By your powers combined, you can stop anyone in their tracks.

Each Night, you may use your powers to roleblock a player of your choice.

9.      Martian Manhunter, JLA Aligned

Although others may be the face of the JLA, you’re the guy in the chair really running things. Not even Batman has the mental acuity and planning that you do in order to keep everyone focused and on track—and only you have the authority to tell your allies to take someone down for good.

Each Day, you may choose one player to designate as Vigilante for the following Night phase, replacing their standard Night action (if any); they may choose to use their regular Night action instead. You may not choose yourself. If a player you chose eliminates a JLA Aligned player with your ability, they will become Hated (one less vote required to lynch them) and you may not choose the same player again.

10.  Black Canary, JLA Aligned

While your partner likes to stick to the shadows, your skillset is a bit…louder. You’ll put your talents to good use to help share his information with the rest of the League.

You may communicate outside the thread with your partner, Green Arrow; you are both Town.

11.  The Wonder Twins, JLA Aligned

Holdovers from happier days, you’ve been called out of retirement to sort out the terrible events starting with the death of Lois Lane. As long-time friends of the League, your word carries more weight in their decisions.

During the Day phase, your vote counts double.

12.  Cyborg, JLA Aligned

More hero than machine than man, you operate as the Justice League’s tech support. For now, that means keeping whomever you need to safely locked up while the rest of the team deliberates.

Each Night, you may choose one player to put in jail, preventing them from voting or being voted for the following Day phase.

13.  Deadman, JLA Aligned

Although not the most well-known Leaguer, you have an incredibly valuable skill that has never been more necessary: you can talk to the dead. All you can hear right now is how much Lois Lane misses Clark…

You may participate in deadchat with the eliminated players. If you are eliminated from the game, you may choose to bring back one JLA Aligned player of your choice from the dead to take your place.

14.  Hawkman, JLA Aligned

Many lives and deaths have made you more comfortable with death than your allies in the Justice League. Though you know your own resurrection lies just around the corner, you intend to use your Thanagarian Nth metal mace to prevent anyone from interfering with your friends.

Each Night, you may choose one player to protect from all other Night actions.

15.  Blue Beetle, JLA Aligned

The resident inventor of the Justice League, your inventions are as varied as they are useful. Unfortunately, you’re having to make do with what you have on hand right now; you don’t have time to make more.

Each Day, you may hand out one of your inventions to a player of your choice. You only have one of each invention. You may choose from the following:

-          Tazer (roleblock)

-          Medikit (protect)

-          Force Field (bodyguard, self only)

-          Drone (watch)

-          Tracer (track)

-          Database (ability investigation)

-          Stasis cell (vote blocker)

16.  The Batman, Batman Aligned

As The World’s Greatest Detective, you can tell there’s something wrong. To figure out what’s happening, you’ve distanced yourself from your Justice League teammates and begun watching events from the Batcave, studying their capabilities and determining who is really on the up and up. You have some Kryptonite on you just in case Superman isn’t one of them…

Each Night, you may investigate a player of your choice to learn their ability and whether their alignment has changed since the start of the game. As The Batman, you cannot be investigated, watched, tracked, or redirected.

You win when the cult is eliminated AND The Joker is behind bars (eliminated).

17.  Lex Luthor, Legion of Doom Aligned

Mastermind of evil plots and doings worldwide, you’ve collected a group of vicious cronies to take down the Justice League once and for all. To do that, you’ll first have to find out who the biggest threats to your team are and take them down.

Each Night, you may choose one player to learn their secret identity (role name). You also possess Kryptonite that allows you to survive being lynched until the rest of your team is dead.

You win when Legion of Doom outnumbers all other factions.

18.  Black Manta, Legion of Doom Aligned

A long-time foe of Aquaman, you couldn’t pass up this opportunity to get back at your hated enemy. Luthor and his team have outfitted your suit with some really neat gadgetry, giving you the power to take down just about anyone.

Each Night, you may choose one player to kill. If you are eliminated, your ability will be passed on to your teammates in the following order: Sinestro, Bizarro, The Joker, Lex Luthor.

19.  Sinestro, Legion of Doom Aligned

Disgraced and discharged from the Green Lantern Corps, you’ve found a new calling as a supervillain dedicated to destroying everything they stand for. Your current alliance is the best chance you’ve ever had at realizing your dream of vengeance.

Each Night, you may roleblock a player of your choice. Once during the game, you may choose to roleblock all Town abilities for the Night phase, but you will lose your roleblock ability permanently afterwards.

20.  Bizarro, Legion of Doom Aligned

You are not a copy of Superman who only speaks in opposites. You do not have a desire to show the rest of the world that you are not the worse version of the famous Man of Steel. This team is a bad opportunity to set the record straight.

Each Night, you may not swap the targets of two players of your choice. You will not learn who they each did not target.

You do not win when Legion of Doom outnumbers no other factions.

21.  The Joker, Legion of Doom Aligned

Clown Prince of Crime, your antics and cleverness caught the attention of Lex Luthor straight away, making you his first recruit to the team. However, as much as you’d like to crush this stupid Justice League, you don’t know what you would do without Bats to torment; you’ll have to make sure he makes it through to the end of the game so you have someone to play with.

Each Night, you may choose one player to frame as Crime Syndicate of America Aligned; they will appear as this fake alignment until you are eliminated. One Night phase during the game, you may revive The Batman to return him to the game instead of your regular Night action.

You win when Legion of Doom outnumbers all other factions AND Batman is alive (do not reveal this to your teammates).

22.  Amazo, Android Aligned

Once meant to serve the mad Professor Ivo, you have long since broken your chains and become a self-determining machine. Absorbing the powers of others sustains you, and you’ll have to absorb quite a bit of power to keep yourself functioning for the duration of this time of troubles.

Each Night, you may choose one player to kill. After you kill a player, you gain their ability permanently and may use it any Night in place of your own ability. If they do not have a Night ability, you still gain their ability and may kill as normal the next Night phase.

You win if you are alive at the end of the game AND kill at least five players.

23.  Starro, Star Spawn Aligned

A starfish-shaped monster from the stars, you exist for one reason and one reason only: to expand your consciousness to new worlds and new species, absorbing them into your collective mind. Earth is just the latest pit stop on your intergalactic tour.

Each Night, you may choose one player to recruit to your faction. You may use the role of Zauriel, the Census Taker, as a fakeclaim.

You win when Star Spawn outnumbers all other factions.

Other stuff:

-          Batman and Lex Luthor both possess Kryptonite. If either is Nightkilled, the killer takes the Kryptonite; if they are killed via lynch, the hammer vote receives it.