Packfanfb's "The Packers Aren't Doing Anything So I'm Bored" Mock

packfanfb

Current Cap Space: $12,876,177 (according to Over the Cap) 

Resignings

Tramon Williams - 2 years, $6 million (2020 cap hit - $2.5m) -- Tramon is still a useful asset on the back-end, a leader on/off the field and actually had a damn good year last year. 

Trades

Pre-draft, Packers send Lane Taylor and 7th round 2021 pick (conditional to become 6th round pick) to Browns for TE David Njoku.  

Image result for david njoku

I've said before, this trade makes a lot of sense for both teams. Browns are looking to dump Njoku and right now guys are being traded left and right for little compensation in return. This is actually a good deal for the Browns who need OL help and it gives us a consolation prize to missing out on Hooper. Njoku is a better option than Delanie Walker and this gives him a chance to revive his career. 

Moving Taylor gives us about $4.1m in cap relief and the addition of Njoku for 2020 costs us about $3m. A net gain in cap space of about $1m. 

FA Signings

Taylor Gabriel - WR - 1 year, $3.5m

Image result for taylor gabriel

I have this feeling you're going to hear that the "Packers were never really 'in' on Robby Anderson." Instead, I think the Packers go the cheaper option and add Gabriel who has prior experience with LaFleur, gives us an experienced slot option in our offense and doesn't cost us a comp pick. WRs are starting to go for cheap and we may be able to get TG even cheaper than this, but I figure he'll be looking for a 1-year deal so he can try again next year absent a mid-year extension. 

Cap entering draft = around $7.5m-$8m 

Draft

Round 1 - Pick 30 - Ross Blacklock (IDL) - TCU

Image result for ross blacklock

Blacklock may not last this long, but I'm banking on a run of WRs in the mid-late first round and a gift gets pushed down to us at 30. At 6'4", 305, Blacklock is the prototypical IDL we're looking for to compliment Clark inside. By choosing to ignore the position in FA, getting Blacklock at 30 would help to immediately bolster our DL. 

Round 2 - Pick 62 - Michael Pittman Jr. (WR) - USC

Image result for michael pittman jr draft

Even with the short-term addition of Gabriel, Packers need a long-term No. 2 candidate at WR. After not going that route in round 1 with Blacklock sitting there, they grab Pittman in round 2. At 6'4", he has the size Gute likes at the position and could be the answer on the outside opposite Adams. 

Round 3 - Pick 94 - Ben Bartch (OT) - St. John

Image result for ben bartch

Bartch is a developmental OT prospect with good movement skills (former converted TE). Had a strong Senior Bowl week against D-1 competition on the other side. May not be ready day 1, but should be a quality backup option in his first year while we ride with Wagner at the starter at RT.

Round 4 - Pick 136 - Darrynton Evans (RB) - Appalachian St. 

Image result for darrynton evans

I really like Evans and don't know if he'll last this long after his combine (4.41 forty). One-cut, outside-zone RB who should fit in well in competing with a 2nd-year Dexter Williams for playing time behind Jones/Williams and potentially becomes a viable replacement for Jones if he walks after next year. 

Round 5 - Pick 175 - Jonathan Garvin (EDGE) - Miami FL

Image result for jonathan garvin miami

Had Garvin in my last mock because I think the guy is going to be a Packer. Read something recently that if we use Gary as the measuring stick for a "Pettine EDGE prospect" Garvin is the closest thing to it in the draft. We need EDGE depth with the loss of Fackrell and Gary being far from proven yet, plus you can never have too many pass rushers. 

Round 6 - Pick 192 - Willie Gay Jr. (ILB) - Miss. St. 

Image result for willie gay jr

Same pick from prior mock. Guy punched out his own teammate which is why he may still be available in the 6th round despite his workout, and also why I take a shot on him. Frankly, I want some more nasty added to the ILB room. Gay flies around the ball and could be a hidden gem or out of football in 2 years based on his character. Worth the risk in the 6th round. 

Round 6 - Pick 208 - Lavert Hill (CB) - Michigan 

Image result for lavert hill

Average size at 5'10", 190 but good at press man and shifty enough to play in the slot. Future slot guy who is experienced enough to play on the boundary. 

Round 6 - Pick 209 - Shaquille Quarterman (ILB) - Miami FL

Image result for shaquille quarterman

Basically the replacement-candidate for Goodson here. Even with the addition of Kirksey, GB doesn't have a down-hill thumper prospect on the team and that's exactly what Quarterman is...an old school thumper. Basically a two-down type player, which is why he's there in the 6th round. 

Round 7 - Pick 224 - Danny Pinter (IOL) - Ball State

Image result for danny pinter ball state

Same pick from prior mock. Converted TE who can move (9.62 RAS). Played tackle last year in college but probably better suited for guard in the NFL. 

Round 7 - Pick 242 - Carlos Davis (NT) - Nebraska

Image result for carlos davis nebraska

Same pick from prior mock. Another high RAS guy (9.61). Basically a big guy (315 Ibs) who can run fast for his size (4.82). 

Go.

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 6

I think the Njoku trade is the most realistic trade we can forge to send Taylor on his way. Not a fan of Blacklock because he's terrible in the run game as I've said before. Pittman is very interesting as it breaks the mold of the shorter, speedster, slot-esque receiver we all feel we need. The problem is that he's sluggish and should probably put on 15 lb.s and move to TE given that he's a physical receiver who blocks well. I think Bartch can be had Day 3, but he's the developmental prospect you want IMHO. The rest of it, with the exception of Hill, is great.

1 hour ago, Joe said:

Pittman is very interesting as it breaks the mold of the shorter, speedster, slot-esque receiver we all feel we need. The problem is that he's sluggish and should probably put on 15 lb.s and move to TE given that he's a physical receiver who blocks well. 

Im not trying to follow you around here.

4.5 is NOT sluggish. He plays up to that speed fine. 

Quit making tall thick WRs TE's. Lordt. <not directed at just you.

37 minutes ago, MaximusGluteus said:

A. CONS: Missed 2018 with an Achilles injury but was outstanding in 2017 and 2019. Has room to grow in terms of processing the run and reading blocks so that he can most effectively attack - as that develops it’s exciting to consider how much better he can get because the traits and physical tools are so outstanding. Will have a stylistic/technical transition at the next level after working from a four-point stance and executing all the stunts involved in the TCU defense. 

WORST TRAIT - Processing

NFL COMP - Gerald McCoy 

TDN - Crabbs

Summary - Ross Blacklock is a scheme diverse talent who has all the physical tools needed to be a disruptive presence up front on an NFL defensive line. Blacklock's length, hand power, lateral agility and first step quickness are all plus qualities and once he's able to polish his pad level/leverage and hand placement, Blacklock will have a chance to be an impact defender. His projection is best as a 3T in an even front, where his athleticism can shine through and allow penetration into the backfield. 

B. Flashes menacing disruptive qualities as a gap seeker, but is just ordinary when forced to sit and take on blocks. He's a hit-or-miss run defender, but he's a relentless pass rusher with elite lateral quickness and change of direction to exploit interior galoots and open pathways to the pocket. 

• Needs improved hand placement and angles for quicker shed
  • Knocked around by interior power
  • Ends up on the ground too often
  • Loses rush momentum to a stiff punch
  • Failed to convert pressures to sacks at a steady clip

C. With all the stunts and slants TCU’s defensive line throws at their opponents, properly evaluating their defensive linemen can be a chore. You simply don’t get as many true one-on-one interactions to see how a guy wins. 

I'm not dismissing what I've omitted from your rather lengthy post and I am NOT disagreeing with the fact that many of his technical issues are coachable. That has never been my argument and let's get that clear because you think he's a HOF'er. However, you forget that I'm actually from TX and follow TCU football closely as stated in another thread; which is why I'm high on Reagor and not on Mims.

Let's go through this line-by-line:

A. Processing skills are crucial when diagnosing power run schemes such as the two losses to the 49ers, the loss to San Diego, and when we couldn't contain Jordan Howard late in the Philly game. Your first reaction needs to be the right reaction and you need to telepath your move knowing what's coming. He's grossly deficient in this area which is backed up by what has been written. This is why you'll understand the argument that he needs to be in a 4-3 front similar to that of Minnesota's and NYG's due to the fact that he needs a true NT next to him to eat up blocks in order for him to get the 1-on-1's he needs in order to succeed - He will not get that in Pettine's scheme and will face double teams regularly. Therefore, this does NOT make him scheme diverse at the next level. Plus, they point out that he's NOT a plug-n-play. We need a plug-n-play guy.

B. What part of "hit-or-miss run defender" do you not understand. If he's hit-or-miss at the collegiate level, he will be PWNED at the pro level. This is insufficient and it's noted in the weaknesses, which you clearly failed to read even though you emboldened a couple for some reason. 

C. The emboldened part says everything you need to know. The TCU defensive scheme is so much different from everyone else's that it's incredibly difficult to project to the next level. Also: WE DO NOT STUNT OUR DE'S....EVER...HE NEEDS THAT TO SUCCEED AND THRIVE... 

Final thoughts:

I'm certainly not questioning his intelligence, but he has mental weaknesses that are not coachable; we saw this with Stephone Anthony at his respective position and we saw this with countless players over the years at other positions. There are things you can't coach: height, size, mentals. You can't do it. Physical things, like technique, are coachable. Molding a guy like Gary who has physical and mental traits, but wasn't coached up at the collegiate level, is another thing. Blacklock is not Gary and benefitted from a scheme that could mask his deficiencies. He's just not a fit in Pettine's scheme and if we draft him, he will be another bust; guaranteed. I know we've talked to him and I wonder why since he's likened to great 4-3 DT's who do not work well in an odd front. He's just not a good fit and he isn't ready for what will be thrown at him - not a 1st round pick.

Edited by Joe