Panthers releasing QB Cam Newton

.Buzz

Cam Newton, if he's healthy, can still play at a high level.  It's a shame injuries began to take their toll as soon as he got an offensive coordinator that wasn't Mike Shula.

Unfortunately I'm not sure a healthy Cam Newton is something anyone can expect anymore.  He injured his foot on what was usually a routine sack escape and had already began to look slower in previous years.  While Turner didn't ask him to run as much as Shula did, Newton was clearly hesitant to scramble when he had the opportunities to in 2018.  Maybe it was the shoulder, but I don't know.

I'm rooting for him though.  The hate he gets from posters on here and fans in general is pathetic, because he's legitimately an amazing person who has done a LOT for the Charlotte and Atlanta communities that doesn't get talked about enough because of some stupid narrative.  Whether he turns his career around or not, I'll never forget what he's done for this team and this city.  Such a fun person and player to have seen grow since his dominant Heisman campaign.

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 11

2 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Cam Newton, if he's healthy, can still play at a high level.  It's a shame injuries began to take their toll as soon as he got an offensive coordinator that wasn't Mike Shula.

Unfortunately I'm not sure a healthy Cam Newton is something anyone can expect anymore.  He injured his foot on what was usually a routine sack escape and had already began to look slower in previous years.  While Turner didn't ask him to run as much as Shula did, Newton was clearly hesitant to scramble when he had the opportunities to in 2018.  Maybe it was the shoulder, but I don't know.

I'm rooting for him though.  The hate he gets from posters on here and fans in general is pathetic, because he's legitimately an amazing person who has done a LOT for the Charlotte and Atlanta communities that doesn't get talked about enough because of some stupid narrative.  Whether he turns his career around or not, I'll never forget what he's done for this team and this city.  Such a fun person and player to have seen grow since his dominant Heisman campaign.

Cam was ahead of his time in Carolina and frankly deserved better from the FO and the national media as well.

16 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Why? Lock had a good 5 games. Still, it is a short amount of time and sample size. 

You don't bring in a vet wanting (and likely capable) of starting under a 2nd-year QB who is currently on track to become the next face of the franchise.  Lock played well for a rookie and you don't risk messing with his psyche having a QB like Cam behind him. 

Lock may not be a franchise QB but with what he's shown, you give him every opportunity to prove that he is.

• Like 8

I think this lends credence to comments by @N4L and others about the inability for other team docs to examine him -
and that wiped out any trade talks
He'll find work and I'm guessing that Hollywood Newton would love the chance to take his wardrobe to LA

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 3

Just now, RabidPanther89 said:

Cam was ahead of his time in Carolina and frankly deserved better from the FO and the national media as well.

Yep.

Another thing I'd like to add is at the end of the day, Cam Newton accomplished way more than anyone expected.  I remember being on this forum around the time he was drafted.  This was when I was really getting into the ins and outs of the NFL.  Damn near everyone was convinced Cam Newton was some huge project that was going to take awhile to pan out.  He didn't play in a Pro Style offense at Auburn (and this was before that became the norm for 90% of highly drafted QBs).  Everyone thought he was an egomaniac who wouldn't work hard or last in the NFL.  

Not only did he last, but he made the Panthers one of the best, most consistent teams in the NFL between 2013-2017.  Even in our down seasons, it always felt like we had a chance.  He did so much for us and surpassed so many people's expectations, from OROY to MVP to making it all the way to a Super Bowl.  He did more than the majority of first round QBs.

Probably my favorite NFL player of all-time.  It sucks to see him go and I hope he's able to have a good end to his career because he deserves it.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, Twizlers said:

You don't bring in a vet wanting (and likely capable) of starting under a 2nd-year QB who is currently on track to become the next face of the franchise.  Lock played well for a rookie and you don't risk messing with his psyche having a QB like Cam behind him. 

Lock may not be a franchise QB but with what he's shown, you give him every opportunity to prove that he is.

Maybe not face of franchise realm due to where he was drafted/needing to see growth, but this is pretty much the thing with Minshew in JAX.

Showed enough to see this out next year. If he fails, we get a guy next year.

6 minutes ago, EaglesPeteC said:

With their 4 million in cap space?

Lmao I didn’t know they were that bad off.

Thuneys new contract could be restructured, so could Hightower and Gilmore’s contacts, if they really wanted to make room. It’s possible but I don’t think you want to go all in like that for a Cam