Panthers releasing QB Cam Newton

.Buzz

I think New England is the obvious spot.

Chargers are just a weird franchise to play for imo being they're basically fanless in LA. (No offense to anyone here who is a fan.)

Cam would come into New England basically the most talent QB in the room(right now). Not sure how he'll work with the coaches, his injury, etc, Camsmore a flamboyant personality which is fine just not a New England thing really. Idk though they've brought in guys like Moss/Ocho so... who knows. Patriots could milk a season or two from Cam to find the replacement to Tom Brady as the franchise QB. It's not a bad transition move for that franchise and a good last chance for Cam Newton. (IMO).

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Well yeah, Carolina is doing a full rebuild. Tepper gave it a few years to get a lay of the land and decided to reset everything. I'm also much less bullish on Cam than many here. Those injuries are significant and his lack of running will really hamper his effectiveness as he was always at the lower end of accuracy as a passer.

11 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Chargers are just a weird franchise to play for imo being they're basically fanless in LA. (No offense to anyone here who is a fan.)

Cam would come into New England basically the most talent QB in the room(right now). Not sure how he'll work with the coaches, his injury, etc, Camsmore a flamboyant personality which is fine just not a New England thing really. Idk though they've brought in guys like Moss/Ocho so... who knows. Patriots could milk a season or two from Cam to find the replacement to Tom Brady as the franchise QB. It's not a bad transition move for that franchise and a good last chance for Cam Newton. (IMO).

how the hell do you know? And quit being so passive, sunny.

50 minutes ago, winitall said:

Extend Thuney and Hightower and cut/trade Sanu and one of Burkhead/White and they could easily free up 20 million for Cam and still have enough for draft picks. 

And if they did I would puke all over, have a heart attack and than kill myself.  Oh ya,  did I say I would find a new team to root for.

Cam Newton is done. His act won't fly in NE. BB is going with Stidman. Why make cap room any smart team would tell him prove it with a vet contract. His ego, he think he still a top tier money QB.  Everyone still thinks he a super star. People wake up he's a washed up has been.  What made him great was his size and running.  Without the running he a sitting duck.

Edited by m haynes

56 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Yep.

Another thing I'd like to add is at the end of the day, Cam Newton accomplished way more than anyone expected.  I remember being on this forum around the time he was drafted.  This was when I was really getting into the ins and outs of the NFL.  Damn near everyone was convinced Cam Newton was some huge project that was going to take awhile to pan out.  He didn't play in a Pro Style offense at Auburn (and this was before that became the norm for 90% of highly drafted QBs).  Everyone thought he was an egomaniac who wouldn't work hard or last in the NFL.  

Not only did he last, but he made the Panthers one of the best, most consistent teams in the NFL between 2013-2017.  Even in our down seasons, it always felt like we had a chance.  He did so much for us and surpassed so many people's expectations, from OROY to MVP to making it all the way to a Super Bowl.  He did more than the majority of first round QBs.

Probably my favorite NFL player of all-time.  It sucks to see him go and I hope he's able to have a good end to his career because he deserves it.

This is true. I was one of his huge doubters coming out. He certainly overachieved any projections I could've placed on him.

52 minutes ago, SimbaWho said:

Its a terrible move. He the biggest name in the room the old Cam is long gone. He has been ravaged by time and injuries. His ego alone would have me running. He step on the field and doesn't have it what than.  Stidman is the QB next year. There is not one reason to bring in a stop gap. Waste of time and money.

PS  I would love to know how many people saw Sidman play in preseason? Or are they making their assumption on his college career or the interception on his 1st pass in the NFL.

Edited by m haynes

12 minutes ago, m haynes said:

And if they did I would puke all over, have a heart attack and than kill myself.  Oh ya,  did I say I would find a new team to root for.

Cam Newton is done. His act won't fly in NE. BB is going with Stidman. Why make cap room any smart team would tell him prove it with a vet contract. His ego, he think he still a top tier money QB.  Everyone still thinks he a super star. People wake up he's a washed up has been.  What made him great was his size and running.  Without the running he a sitting duck.

He doesn’t have an “act”. He just has a personality you choose not to like. He’s been a total pro, community leader and great teammate in Carolina. If Cams healthy BB would     be crazy not to kick the tires on Cam. He’s got a cannon of an arm and is a 3rd down conversion machine. That would be an effective tool with NE defense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I don't understand how everyone comes at this with such confidence around Cam having some kind of toxic ego. From everything I've seen, dude was beloved by his teammates in Carolina. Other than that, I guess we've got that he's got... weird fashion sense?

They're looking for reasons to hate him. He's been abused by his franchise and his ability to run and knock down opposing defenders exploited and his body ravaged. So then he gets injured and has a bad game against the Bucs and now everyone hates Cam Newton and thinks hes a bad QB again lol all cause Kyle Allen stepped in, threw a checkdown to CMac every single play (which worked out, cause CMac is amazing) and now it's like "Well if this undrafted third stringer is playing well.. guess Cam sucks."

There's no reason to hate Cam Newton, he's been great to the city he's played for and made the Panthers a legitimate franchise. He is/was a hell of a football player too, very fun to watch.

• Like 2