Panthers releasing QB Cam Newton

.Buzz

8 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

So he had one season where he just checked down to McCaffrey? Okay cool. What about the rest of his career?

Right. And Cam was overnight crowned by the media as having  changed his game simply because he had easier passes to throw to. What does that tell you about Drew Brees and Sean Peyton. A stat padded HOF career and a guy who fails in the clutch. Big deal. Kirk Cousins has great stats. No one considers him a franchise guy. Watch Cams games before Norv Turner. Mike Shula didn’t provide Cam many checkdowns at all. That’s proven in the tape. It was long developing plays that didn’t have the o line to support it.

7 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

A Cam Newton who can't run is essentially Blake Bortles.  Bortles has tons of arm talent too, but never developed as an NFL passer. 

I think Cam ends up on the Chargers as the bridge starter to whomever they get between Tua or Herbert.

They already have a bridge starter in Tyrod Taylor 

3 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Then that bridge is going to collapse about 4 weeks in.

Agreed. I thought people had caught on from his last starting stint. He's only a bridge in the way that he doesn't turn it over and is fairly mobile but he's way too limited to be a 16 game starter at this point. I'd much rather roll the dice with a Winston or just let the kid start (assuming its not Tua related injury rehab if they get him). Tyrod is the prototypical 1st round QB starts by game 5 starter. My hunch is that the Chargers love one of Herbert/Love and are confident one of them will be there at 6.

19 minutes ago, Teen Girl Squad said:

Agreed. I thought people had caught on from his last starting stint. He's only a bridge in the way that he doesn't turn it over and is fairly mobile but he's way too limited to be a 16 game starter at this point. I'd much rather roll the dice with a Winston or just let the kid start (assuming its not Tua related injury rehab if they get him). Tyrod is the prototypical 1st round QB starts by game 5 starter. My hunch is that the Chargers love one of Herbert/Love and are confident one of them will be there at 6.

The ugly ONE! Love the name. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RabidPanther89 said:

Right. And Cam was overnight crowned by the media as having  changed his game simply because he had easier passes to throw to. What does that tell you about Drew Brees and Sean Peyton. A stat padded HOF career and a guy who fails in the clutch. Big deal. Kirk Cousins has great stats. No one considers him a franchise guy. Watch Cams games before Norv Turner. Mike Shula didn’t provide Cam many checkdowns at all. That’s proven in the tape. It was long developing plays that didn’t have the o line to support it.

I wonder what Drew Brees and Sean Payton have that Kirk Cousins doesn't...

A lot of people relishing the fall of Cam. I just can't support any comment that detests the idea of him being their team's starting QB. 

Granted we have no idea what the status of his health is, but you also have no idea what type of contract he would net. You're telling me a healthy Cam on a cheap deal isn't worth it? You sign a guy like that to a 1-year deal, he performs he somewhat admirably, and you can let him walk the year after knowing you're getting compensatory help. 

I think he'd be at his best with the Pats, but this seems like a no-brainer for the Chargers. There are plenty of football reasons to do so (this team is ready to win now, anyone they draft at #6 will need a year of refinement, etc.) but from a non-football perspective, this franchise needs someone to steal attention away from the Rams and actually win the hearts of a portion of that market, which Cam would undoubtedly do. 

• Like 1