DreamKid

Ravens Re-sign Jihad Ward and Justin Ellis to 1-year Deals

Depth signing, if it goes through. They're able to move him around the front, he works well in tandem on blitzes, and he can survive against the run. Never going be more than a depth/deep rotational player, but at only 25yo(With limited opportunity) it's reasonable to assume he has better football in front of him. Hopefully McPhee is next up, I want that done before FA.

I think Ward did well last season. The team keeping him around as a depth/rotational piece sounds good to me. Hopefully it gets done. 

Posted (edited)

Ravens bring back Justin Ellis on a kne year deal. Veteran league minimum. The D-line reload continues. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel

Interested to see numbers on the Ward signing. 

Gotta be honest - not sure we needed to resign both Ward and Justin Ellis - especially when we still have 8/9 draft picks coming up. Yeah, in sets typically Ward is an outside/Ellis is an inside guy, but that already leaves us with 7 defensive linemen:

Williams/Campbell/Brockers/Wormley/ Ward/Ellis/Mack

Probably would have preferred some of Ellis’ money to go towards either Levine, Bynes, or McPhee instead.

34 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Gotta be honest - not sure we needed to resign both Ward and Justin Ellis - especially when we still have 8/9 draft picks coming up. Yeah, in sets typically Ward is an outside/Ellis is an inside guy, but that already leaves us with 7 defensive linemen:

Probably would have preferred some of Ellis’ money to go towards either Levine, Bynes, or McPhee instead.

Signing all these guys makes me think that they are not expecting much contribution from Mack. 

45 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Ward played more like a 3-4 OLB than a true DL if memory serves. 

On Ellis, I’d be interested to see the numbers on the deal. It may be similar to the Thomas (KR) or Andre Smith signings where they are on the 90, but nowhere near a guarantee for the 53. 

On 3/18/2020 at 7:22 PM, sp6488 said:

Ward played more like a 3-4 OLB than a true DL if memory serves. 

Yep I think Ward is moreso a McPhee replacement than anything else. 

Based on guaranteed salaries you'd assume Ward has a better shot of making the 53.  Maybe EDC is leaving the door open in case a good IDL option falls into their lap come draft time?

48 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Based on guaranteed salaries you'd assume Ward has a better shot of making the 53.  Maybe EDC is leaving the door open in case a good IDL option falls into their lap come draft time?

Not a lock, but I think it would take Something unexpected for Ward not to make the 53, personally.