NCAA football

Ty21

On 12/7/2017 at 8:04 AM, MikeT14 said:

I'd like to hear you all's recruiting tips.

For me, if I have a recruit that I am in the lead for, I don't give them any points and just ride out whatever the bonus is.

- Always do an online dynasty, and use the website to recruit.  It gives you way more information.  

- Get your scouting up to level 3 immediately.  You're going to want to scout everyone.  

- Always have 35 players on your board at all times.  Even players that you don't have points in will start to like your school just because you have them on your board.  

- Preseason scout for physical freaks.  Super tall secondary players, huge Dlineman and Olineman, Lbers that are 250+ lbs.  There aren't a ton of players with size in any given class.  Length is a substantial plus on defense (defenders can knock down passes).

- Sort prospects by Squat, Bench Press and 40 time.  The players high in these are most likely to be gems.  Also, look for players that correspond with the physical strengths best for their position.  WR and CB, sort by 40 time.  OLB and MLB are best sorting by Squat.  Oline best by Bench Press.  QB it doesn't really work unless you're looking for a scrambler, then 40 time.  HB, depends on if you want a speed guy or a power back.  TE is hit or miss, usually Squat is the best here IMO.  Best blocking TEs will be Bench Press though.  DEs, again if you're looking for a speed rusher or run defender can be different.  Squat works pretty good on DEs too.  Safeties again can use any of them.   

- When you're first adding players to your board, try to find guys that are from a state that doesn't have any of the major colleges from that state chasing after him.  If he's from California and his top 3 schools are USC, UCLA and Cal, you aren't landing that guy move on.  

- On the flipside of that, take a look at the top prospects from your state and add some to your board.  The location bonus should help you battle for them. 

- If you start with a 1 star rebuilding program like I do, target mostly 3 star recruits early on until you build up your program.    

- Once Week 3 hits is when recruiting will really begin.  Go online and look at the recruits on your board.  Anyone that you are losing more than 200 points in per week, remove them from your draft board.  

- Don't fall in love with any one prospect.  If you're losing points on him to another school every week, remove him from your board and move on.  

- Using the website, look for any recruit that has 25% or less interest in signing.  If they have 0, 0, 0 change in interest that week for all schools that means no one is recruiting them.  These are the players you want to add to your board.  NO ONE IS CURRENTLY RECRUITING THEM.  You can essentially sign these guys for free.  Sometimes you can even get 5 star players for practically nothing.  

- Don't sign crappy WRs or RBs.  There are hundreds of them, so be picky.  

- Don't be picky on TEs.  They are hard to sign, and there doesn't ever seem to be enough of them.  Grab them when you can.  

- You can land most JUCOs by putting just 200 points per week on them.

- I usually build my Oline and Linebacking core first.  I like to be able to run the ball and blitz.  

- Don't change players positions, it will kill their AWR.  You're better off leaving a guy at their position and going to the depth chart and playing them out of position than changing their position.  Any player that changes position has their AWR dropped to 40.  

- Look for JUCO Sophomores.  They're usually studs and give you an extra year over JUCO Juniors.  

- ATHs are the best prospects so try to land as many as possible.  Would you rather have a CB with brick hands or an ATH that is good enough to play WR playing CB?  Your interception total will thank me later.  This goes for a lot of other positions too, QB ATHs that can run, TE ATHs that can block, LB ATHs that are good in coverage, the possibilities are endless.  ATHs are the best.  

-  Try to recruit players that have high stats in areas that don't progress fast.  For Olineman, STR and Impact Block is what you want.  The rest of their skills will develop over time.  For WRs, you want at least 90+ SPD and look for a good Release rating.  Acceleration is nice but will go up usually 3 points per year.  SPD will only go up 1, if at all.  Safeties you're going to want Zone Coverage.  CBs, Press rating doesn't progress as quickly as Man or Zone coverage.  DLine, you're going to want STR and ACC.  Length and weight are really important on Dlineman too IMO.  

- If you don't have instacommit, go ahead and offer scholarships right away.  If you do, wait until you're in 1st place with that recruit before offering.  

- try to shoot for mid-season visits on recruits, and get them to pair up as much as possible at the games.  

- The game doesn't generate a lot of traditional 3-4 defense sized prospects.  So its easier to recruit for a 4-3 defense.  However, I generally feel like a 3-4 defense works better in the game.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

I was always ok at recruiting until @MKnight82 bestowed that knowledge on me. Since using a similar strategy recruiting has been awesome. It’s especially helpful when building a bottom feeder into a contender. 

I’m getting the urge to play again. Wish it could be ported to PS4, my PS3 controller is really finicky about charging. I suppose I’ll steal my brothers. Maybe restart my 1 Star build of DII Ashland University. First one was by far the longest dynasty I ever done. Spent a few years in the MAC and then joined the B1G along with Notre Dame (didn’t want to drop anyone out of the B1G to keep it even). Funnest dynasty Iv ever done too. Recruited some insane talent including 2 amazing QB’s that I unfortunately got in the same recruiting class. My QB situation was the best kind of mess to have.

Edited by Neumatic
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Neumatic said:

I was always ok at recruiting until @MKnight82 bestowed that knowledge on me. Since using a similar strategy recruiting has been awesome. It’s especially helpful when building a bottom feeder into a contender. 

I’m getting the urge to play again. Wish it could be ported to PS4, my PS3 controller is really finicky about charging. I suppose I’ll steal my brothers. Maybe restart my 1 Star build of DII Ashland University. First one was by far the longest dynasty I ever done. Spent a few years in the MAC and then joined the B1G along with Notre Dame (didn’t want to drop anyone out of the B1G to keep it even). Funnest dynasty Iv ever done too. Recruited some insane talent including 2 amazing QB’s that I unfortunately got in the same recruiting class. My QB situation was the best kind of mess to have.

Did you try that method today?

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Did you try that method today?

No, we talked a couple years back. I started my 1* Ashland University build on here after following one of your teams (I want to say it was a VCU team that you created as a 1* school). Sometime around there you told me about your recruiting strategy.

6 hours ago, Neumatic said:

No, we talked a couple years back. I started my 1* Ashland University build on here after following one of your teams (I want to say it was a VCU team that you created as a 1* school). Sometime around there you told me about your recruiting strategy.

Oh.  I vaguely remember that.

Just fired up my PS3 and checking out my old dynasty. I’m currently at the start of the 2040 season, Ranked #3. I took the HC at Ohio State for 5 seasons or so to build them back into a contender because they fell off a cliff but I’m back at my AU team. Going through my current roster it looks pretty solid. Have a freak sophomore QB 95spd 91tp 81ta and I noticed my senior MLB is 5’9 269lbs with 91spd ?.

8 minutes ago, flyers0909 said:

Anyone remember what the best versions were for the PS2?  I just got an emulator going on my PC and had 08 running.  Wasn't sure what the best one was though.  

I played 2005 to death....honestly played like 50 seasons of dynasty between 2004 and 2008.

6 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

Anyone remember what the best versions were for the PS2?  I just got an emulator going on my PC and had 08 running.  Wasn't sure what the best one was though.  

Definitely not '11...played it quite a bit on the emulator to try to satisfy my urge for a college football game and it pissed me off...mainly because of the terrible recruits available at some positions...especially DE...there are literally NEVER any 5 star DE prospects and even 4 star prospects there are usually only one or two every few years...also never any 5 star DTs, rarely 5 star DBs...tons of 5 star LBers but that's about it on defense...but every single year there will be like 10 5 star QBs, 10 5 star RBs and somewhere around 23452343 5 star WRs. You'll also never see a TE higher than 3 stars.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Is Awareness really that big of a deal? And id it dropped if you switch from a LT to a RT? That seems silly. I really had no ideaa.

It doesn't drop like that, if you're doing it in the actual game.  I was paying attention to it last night.  It only drops like 8 points.  Maybe doing it on the website is different.  I've only ever handled the game through the console.  I move guys all over the place. 

Edited by jyod21

8 minutes ago, jyod21 said:

It doesn't drop like that, if you're doing it in the actual game.  I was paying attention to it last night.  It only drops like 8 points.  Maybe doing it on the website is different.  I've only ever handled the game through the console.  I move guys all over the place. 

You're moving them at Position Changes?  Or just playing them out of position in the Depth Chart?

2 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Is Awareness really that big of a deal? And id it dropped if you switch from a LT to a RT? That seems silly. I really had no ideaa.

Flipping RT to LT does nothing.  Same with RG to LG.  Its when you change someone like a CB to a Safety, or a OLB to a DE that the AWR takes a huge drop.

14 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You're moving them at Position Changes?  Or just playing them out of position in the Depth Chart?

Position changes in the offseason.  That's what you were talking about, isn't it?  I've never paid attention, when moving them in the depth chart.  I don't really play many guys out of place, in depth chart, outside of an occasional RB or TE as WR depth, or an athletic FB at HB.