My Comeback Player of the Year Candidates

BayRaider

Who will win 2020 Comeback Player of the Year?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win 2020 Comeback Player of the Year?

• Cam Newton
    • Alex Smith
    • Ben Roethlisberger
    • Andy Dalton
    • AJ Green
    • Marcus Mariota
    • Other

From most likely to least likely:

1. QB Cam Newton (Los Angeles Chargers or Jacksonville Jaguars)

Screen-Shot-2020-03-24-at-2-43-41-PM.png

Cam Newton may be near full health. Is he a Top 10 QB? No. Could be a Top 15 QB on the Chargers with those weapons and an OT at pick 6? It's certainly possible. And help the Chargers to a playoff berth with that Top 5 Defense. This is contingent if he signs with the Chargers or Jaguars. I don't think he'd be good on the Patriots at all.

2. QB Alex Smith (Washington Redskins or New England Patriots)

Alex Smith has been my sleeper for Comeback Player of the Year since the season was even concluded. I don't think the Patriots can afford his contract but he would be a great fit there. My prediction for Alex Smith is the same as Ryan Tannehil did to Mariota last year. Haskins will struggle, Rivera is not sold on Haskins, and Alex Smith starts around Week 5-7. Smith could easily lead the Redskins to a NFC East title in that division. Leading the Redskins to a division title may lock this award up for him. The Redskins roster is no where near as bad as people think it is. They can certainly compete in that division. The main issue is QB.

3. QB Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh Steelers)

This is almost a certain one as Ben is likely to play well, and could even lead the Steelers to the playoffs. People are even expecting this. However, even if Ben plays better than Smith/Newton, I still think Cam Newton and Alex Smith would get the nod over Ben if they play well enough. Their injuries were much more severe and have been out for way longer.

4. QB Andy Dalton (New England Patriots?)

This is completely contingent on Dalton possibly being traded to the Patriots. Any other team, no. Dalton is a good fit there and could thrive in that offense.

5. WR AJ Green (Cincinnati Bengals)

I think Green is still a Top 10 WR in this league and he missed all of last year. There's a possibility if the Bengals offense comes together, and Burrow excels as a Rookie, that Green could have a huge year.

6. QB Marcus Mariota (Las Vegas Raiders)

This is the one everyone is expecting. Mariota Tannehils Carr. I actually do think Mariota will unseat Carr at some point this season. It's actually very likely considering Carrs wild streaks of good and bad play. However, even though Mariota will be named the starter at some point, I don't expect him to play all that much better than Carr, and I don't expect the Raiders to make the playoffs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I'll take this guy's chances over all of the other choices there except Ben.

83e86bd9-79a5-4924-bd2b-c0e857970bd3_pos

A guy who played 8 games and looked great during those 8 games? Not sure that’s comeback worthy unless the six I mentioned fall on their face. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

A guy who played 8 games and looked great during those 8 games? Not sure that’s comeback worthy unless the six I mentioned fall on their face. 

Cam and Dalton still don't have a home which speaks volumes about how NFL Gm's/coaches really feel about them. Mariota isn't even a starter and is at the very best a lateral move from Carr. Smith's injury was not normal and I'm still not convinced that he wasn't just a product of Reid.

I overlooked AJ on the list so I would include him as well. Ben, AJ, Stafford.