Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

My thoughts.  Good signing.  

Let's see the contract, for sure.  Could be a low risk deal with nice upside.

Guess I see it as this....  We used Kumerow as a lead blocker many, many times last year.  With Funchess' size, I think he can do that and offer more wide out ability than Kumerow.

Dude is very big, long and knows how to play in the NFL.  We like big guys.  We will look really good getting off of the bus.

Can't help but wonder if he doesn't get some TE/Hback looks.  With that size and movement, he could be used in there.  Kind of a "gimmick" player.

He's not a WR that I personally wanted.  But , he fits our mold and maybe has some TE stuff in him that would make him more valuable.

48 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think people are mixing up Funchess with Kelvin Benjamin.

Funchess is not out of shape nor a bad athlete for a 230 pounder. His long speed is mediocre, but he is explosive and has some fluidity for a big guy.

Also I don't see a ton of 50/50 balls on Funchess tape. The guy gets some separation, sits down in zones pretty well and is definitely someone who utilizes his frame to make himself some room.

People see 40 yard dash time and get he is not athletic.  Far from the truth.   As you noted, he is not a burner, but there is a lot of athleticism at that size.

I just love how everyone is underestimating Funchess. 

The comments of he's not fast are pretty laughable, too.

Davante Adams ain't fast.  Davante Adams would get torched by a good majority of NFL players in a 40 yard race, but watch Davante's feet and how quick he is and there might not be anyone better.

For his size, that's what Funchess is.  He will be fine if Rodgers plays LaFleur's system.  He'll thrive. 

Edited by Outpost31
  • Like 4

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I think people are mixing up Funchess with Kelvin Benjamin.

Funchess is not out of shape nor a bad athlete for a 230 pounder. His long speed is mediocre, but he is explosive and has some fluidity for a big guy.

Benjamin  was a whole different level. Funchess never got to 280lbs... Funchess has generally been in excellent shape including last year at Indy. I just remember some issues at Carolina. Maybe it was the tweener talk.

32 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I don't hate it, but with EQ, Lazard and MVS I would have liked someone other than Funchess' body type

Funchess showed some solid production in CAR with Newton airmailing passes his way.  Don't think you can say that about the GB trio...maybe Lazard if you want to stretch things.

inB4 someone posts a bunch of stats that say otherwise.   I am going off my recollection of things.

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

But Gute has talked to length about wanting a basketball team at WR. His type is clearly get large targets with large catch radiuses.

I think unless if he is getting a small shifty/ speedster guy cheap or that guy is special... that might not be a body type we see for awhile in GB.

Not for nothing, but Gute did put Darrius Shepherd on the 53 last year.

As for Funchess, I'll be extremely pleasantly surprised if he signs for the minimum. He got $10M a year ago and is only 25. A broken collarbone shouldn't hurt you that much.

Just now, Outpost31 said:

I just love how everyone is underestimating Funchess. 

The comments of he's not fast are pretty laughable, too.

When you say laughable, do you mean spot on accurate? If so, then yes I agree.

10 minutes ago, Green19 said:

But Gute has talked to length about wanting a basketball team at WR. His type is clearly get large targets with large catch radiuses.

I think unless if he is getting a small shifty/ speedster guy cheap or that guy is special... that might not be a body type we see for awhile in GB.

I think he likes them tall, but he also previously expressed interest in Sander, Watkins, etc so I think he's certainly open to others types of WRs too.

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

People see 40 yard dash time and get he is not athletic.  Far from the truth.   As you noted, he is not a burner, but there is a lot of athleticism at that size.

Maybe the general public, but most here get the distinction.

7 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Not for nothing, but Gute did put Darrius Shepherd on the 53 last year.

As for Funchess, I'll be extremely pleasantly surprised if he signs for the minimum. He got $10M a year ago and is only 25. A broken collarbone shouldn't hurt you that much.

Shepherd made it on specials

12 minutes ago, Green19 said:

That's fine, but they all can't be plodders. The FACT is the Packers have had trouble with defenses squatting on their receivers ever since Jordy popped his ACL. 

The Packers need big receivers like like Jordy, not like Kumerow or Allison. 

Just now, Donzo said:

When you say laughable, do you mean spot on accurate? If so, then yes I agree.

Laughable that you think timed long speed matters for someone as big as him. 

He averaged 15.3, 16.1, 13.3 yards per reception in his first three years. 

The man ran 4.47 and 4.53 at his pro day.  6.98 3 cone drill. 

Compare that to Davante Adams and his 4.56 combine 40 of 4.56 and let's say his pro day forgot to click the start button for a full tenth of a second.  You're talking about a 10th of a second difference on a 40 yard dash and a  .16 difference in the 3 cone.  Funchess has 3 inches and 17 pounds on Adams. 

Neither of them are deep threats in the sense of just outrunning everybody, but it's laughable that you think that really matters.  There are maybe 5 players in the NFL with that elite speed who can actually use it.  Hill is one of them.  For every Hill you've got a Trevor Davis.  This obsession with long speed is stupid as hell. 

• Like 1

Just now, Donzo said:

That's fine, but they all can't be plodders. The FACT is the Packers have had trouble with defenses squatting on their receivers ever since Jordy popped his ACL.

Lol goodness gracious this is not a FACT.  Putting the word FACT in caps lock does not make something a FACT.

See: FACT, unicorns exist. 

Ah, ****.  Didn't work. 

The FACT is that Rodgers has developed bad habits. 

Fact - Rodgers had the 6th most time to throw this year.  5th the year before.  6th in 2016. 
Fact - Rodgers was the 8th LEAST aggressive QB in 2016, 10th least in 2018, 10th least in 2019. 

Jimmy Graham had the most yards of separation in the entire NFL per target.  Do you even understand what that FACT implies?  The AVERAGE number of yards of separation per target for Graham last year was 3.9 yards.  3.9 yards.  That means that Rodgers didn't even throw to Graham unless there wasn't a single defender within 4 damn yards of him. 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2019/all

The FACT is that Rodgers was broken in 2015 chasing the big play and extending plays and he hasn't gotten out of it.  Squatting on their receivers?  What does that even mean? 

https://gamepass.nfl.com/schedule?redirected=true

Gamepass is free.  Watch it and you'll see that our receivers aren't covered.  They're covered DEEP, but more often than not they're not even covered short.  Maybe this move is all about getting Rodgers to play to LaFleur's system instead of the sit back and wait forever for someone to get open deep only to get sacked. 

For what it's worth, this might not even be final. 

It hasn't been announced.  Normally that's just normal, but right now it's not.  No physical = No signing.

He was out all year last year, so the physical has to work out, so it might be a long time before this becomes final, and that's if it becomes final.

This could be a Beshaud Breeland type scenario where it gets scratched instead of finalized.  Hopefully not.