Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

For what it's worth, this might not even be final. 

It hasn't been announced.  Normally that's just normal, but right now it's not.  No physical = No signing.

He was out all year last year, so the physical has to work out, so it might be a long time before this becomes final, and that's if it becomes final.

This could be a Beshaud Breeland type scenario where it gets scratched instead of finalized.  Hopefully not. 

Yeah it is most likely pending the physical, and with the fact that they've cancelled physicals and the league will essentially shut down today, I don't expect to see it made official any time soon

Edited by JBURGE

12 hours ago, Joe said:

See this is why I thought Reagor makes sense, but Mims doesn't on the surface at least. You look at who else we've "visited with" and you're looking at the 6'/6'-1" type of guys that have some burst.

I would widen the net on that. I would say 5"10 to 6'1 to include someone on the lines of a Randall Cobb.

Concerning.

When he was healthy with Carolina in 2018, he caught 2-of-10 passes thrown 20-plus yards downfield, according to Pro Football Focus. In 2017, when he set career highs with 63 receptions, 840 yards and eight touchdowns, he caught just 4-of-22 deep passes.

I wonder how much of that was on him and how much of that was on Cam Newton.

Edited by Chili

40 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Laughable that you think timed long speed matters for someone as big as him. 

He averaged 15.3, 16.1, 13.3 yards per reception in his first three years. 

The man ran 4.47 and 4.53 at his pro day.  6.98 3 cone drill. 

Compare that to Davante Adams and his 4.56 combine 40 of 4.56 and let's say his pro day forgot to click the start button for a full tenth of a second.  You're talking about a 10th of a second difference on a 40 yard dash and a  .16 difference in the 3 cone.  Funchess has 3 inches and 17 pounds on Adams. 

Neither of them are deep threats in the sense of just outrunning everybody, but it's laughable that you think that really matters.  There are maybe 5 players in the NFL with that elite speed who can actually use it.  Hill is one of them.  For every Hill you've got a Trevor Davis.  This obsession with long speed is stupid as hell. 

Difference is Davante is an elite route runner who can beat anybody man to man. Combine his vertical leap and body control and he's a top 10 WR. There is track speed and football speed. Funchess plays a lot slower than his 40 times. Home cooking might have had something do to with those times as well. 

I'll hope for the best with this kid, but if he was cut it would not surprise me in the least. Especially if we draft a WR in the first three rounds. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Difference is Davante is an elite route runner who can beat anybody man to man. Combine his vertical leap and body control and he's a top 10 WR. There is track speed and football speed. Funchess plays a lot slower than his 40 times. Home cooking might have had something do to with those times as well. 

I'll hope for the best with this kid, but if he was cut it would not surprise me in the least. Especially if we draft a WR in the first three rounds. 

Okay...

Difference is Davante is an elite route runner who can beat anybody man to man.

Frank Reich, "Then really as a route runner, for a big guy for his size we’ve said he’s got good feet and he’s got good body control."  

Frank Reich again, "When I watch his tape, what I see is a big man who is really athletic. I like to talk about having route-running skill, this combination of having good feet, good instincts and good body control, and then what sometimes we refer to as body quickness…it helps you separate at the top of routes, it helps you get off versus press coverage. And Devin has all of that. And he’s got really good feet."

Literally

Everything you say about Davante Adams is Devin Funchess, but bigger. 
What you're referring to between track speed and football speed is Funchess.  He does not have long speed.  Neither does Davante Adams.

If you think there's home cooking with his pro day results and his 40, that's fine, but .16 seconds separated his 3 cone from Davante's. 

It has kind of been mentioned throughout this thread but I like the idea of lining him or Lazard up in TE positions as well as WR. Also been mentioned he was having a good camp/preseason, and is a good blocker.I think this is a solid vet move that brings experience to a WR room who needs it. It also could be fun to see how Lefluer schemes them or the different formations. I agree the money is important, but I don't think it's a bad move. Clearly the position will be addressed more. This isn't the only player we are adding to the WR room.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Okay...

Frank Reich, "Then really as a route runner, for a big guy for his size we’ve said he’s got good feet and he’s got good body control."  

Frank Reich again, "When I watch his tape, what I see is a big man who is really athletic. I like to talk about having route-running skill, this combination of having good feet, good instincts and good body control, and then what sometimes we refer to as body quickness…it helps you separate at the top of routes, it helps you get off versus press coverage. And Devin has all of that. And he’s got really good feet."

Literally

Everything you say about Davante Adams is Devin Funchess, but bigger. 
What you're referring to between track speed and football speed is Funchess.  He does not have long speed.  Neither does Davante Adams.

If you think there's home cooking with his pro day results and his 40, that's fine, but .16 seconds separated his 3 cone from Davante's. 

I can dribble, jump, pass, shoot and play defense  as can Micheal Jordan, yet I'm not Michael Jordan. You see the difference? Davante Adams, as far as route running is Michael Jordan in the NFL. Funchess, while better than me, is no where close to Michael Jordan. 

Davante Adams, LITERALLY, made Chad Johnson cry while watching his film because of how good he is at running routes.

Devon Funchess, made his coaches cry with all of his dropped passes! 

Edited by Golfman

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

I can dribble, jump, pass, shoot and play defense. I'm not Michael Jordan. You see the difference? Davante Adams, as far as route running is Michael Jordan in the NFL. Funchess, while better than me, is no where close to Michael Jordan. 

Maybe working with Davante will help Funchess improve his game?  Any way you look at it Funchess is an upgrade for this wide receiving group.  That may be damning with faint praise, but we just got a little better at WR with this addition.  He's a step up from some of our riff raff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Golfman said:

I can dribble, jump, pass, shoot and play defense  as can Micheal Jordan, yet I'm not Michael Jordan. You see the difference? Davante Adams, as far as route running is Michael Jordan in the NFL. Funchess, while better than me, is no where close to Michael Jordan. 

If Adams is Jordan.  We'd all like another Jordan/Adams.  But honestly, if Funchess can be Jim Paxson or Steve Kerr, that would be wonderful.  He doesn't even have to be Pippen, Rodman, Grant or Kukoc.