Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

If Adams is Jordan.  We'd all like another Jordan/Adams.  But honestly, if Funchess can be Jim Paxson or Steve Kerr, that would be wonderful.  He doesn't even have to be Pippen, Rodman, Grant or Kukoc.

His biggest issue is catching the ball. Does nobody see this as a problem when you play WR? I'm hoping for the best here, but this is at best a role player. If he's more than that we did nothing to improve our WR core and MVS, ESB and Lazard went backwards rather than forwards in their development. 

Edited by Golfman

13 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

He didn't play any offensive snaps in weeks 1 and 2 either. He was a healthy scratch.

My point is that he wasn't kept for special teams. He may have got a little boost cause they thought he had return value (spoiler alert: he didn't) but he was kept because of what he did as a receiver in training camp and preseason. You don't roster a WR for special teams and make him a healthy scratch weeks 1 and 2.

All this to say, Gute may have a "type" at WR, but keeping Shepherd makes a case for drafting someone like Reagor or Aiyuk.

15 minutes ago, Golfman said:

His biggest issue is catching the ball. Does nobody see this as a problem when you play WR? I'm hoping for the best here, but this is at best a role player. If he's more than that we did nothing to improve our WR core and MVS, ESB and Lazard went backwards rather than forwards in their development. 

K, let's address this using 2018 as our guide (so I'm not using Funchess' best year which was 2017): 

Catch Percentage in 2018 (which doesn't really take into account the accuracy of the throw , i.e. was the pass on target, catchable, etc.)

Funchess = 55.7%

That put him the same category as some of these guys: 

Allen Robinson - 58.5%, Marvin Jones - 56.6%, Tajae Sharpe (who everyone here wanted for some weird reason) - 55.3%, Robby Anderson - 53.2%, MVS - 52.1%, Jarvis Landry - 54.4%, Courtland Sutton - 50%, Corey Davis - 58%

In other words, some household names of other No. 2 WRs and the like that were in the same % area of Funchess. 

Now, let's look at "drops" for 2018: 

Funchess - 7

Landry - 11, Julio Jones - 9, Julian Edelman - 8, Golden Tate - 7, Mike Evans - 7, C. Sutton - 7, Amari Cooper - 6, Tyreek Hill - 6, Smith-Shuster - 6, Davante Adams - 5

In essence, is Funchess Cris Carter when it comes to catching the ball? No. But is it a really a problem? No.  

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, FinneasGage said:

Robby 

Perriman

Tajae

Funchess

Lol @ Tajae and Perriman. Perriman put up numbers for 5 weeks in an offense where all the other WRs got hurt on a team that doesn't run. His entire career until then he's been a massive bust. Tajae has never been good.

5 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you bring in a receiver who struggles to get separation but excels at 50/50 balls, and then you have a QB who doesn't throw 50/50 balls, you get lousy production (see Graham, Jimmy).

Part of being a QB isn't just throwing to the open guy. It's throwing with anticipation. It's understanding the percentages of, "There's a six man blitz coming and I have six blockers, My first guy is covered, and my second guy is only kinda covered. If I throw a good ball where only he can get it (50/50), we're fine." Instead we have a QB who really loves to linger on that first read, glances at the second read, and is scrambling and sacked by the time he gets to the third read because he has absurd expectations of his protection against the blitz. 

Not sure that Graham excelled at 50/50 balls in his time here. I remember him batting down many passes. My main premise stays the same. Rodgers doesn't suck because he won't throw eight 50/50 balls per game to inferior talent on a team that wins games by one score. Furthermore, the offense doesn't suck because Rodgers won't throw 50/50 balls. If the offense relies on these passes to be efficient, then it's a shi**y offense. I'll also circle back to the ignorance of comparing a prime Rodgers with Jennings, Nelson, Jones, Cobb etc etc to an older Rodgers with a lesser supporting cast. It's becoming the new catch phrase to just toss out these one liners and it hurts my head.

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Lol @ Tajae and Perriman. Perriman put up numbers for 5 weeks in an offense where all the other WRs got hurt on a team that doesn't run. His entire career until then he's been a massive bust. Tajae has never been good.

Tajae is now the No. 2 in Minny behind Thielan (who isn't a No. 1). You love to see it. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

K, let's address this using 2018 as our guide (so I'm not using Funchess' best year which was 2017): 

Catch Percentage in 2018 (which doesn't really take into account the accuracy of the throw , i.e. was the pass on target, catchable, etc.)

Funchess = 55.7%

That put him the same category as some of these guys: 

Allen Robinson - 58.5%, Marvin Jones - 56.6%, Tajae Sharpe (who everyone here wanted for some weird reason) - 55.3%, Robby Anderson - 53.2%, MVS - 52.1%, Jarvis Landry - 54.4%, Courtland Sutton - 50%, Corey Davis - 58%

In other words, some household names of other No. 2 WRs and the like that were in the same % area of Funchess. 

Now, let's look at "drops" for 2018: 

Funchess - 7

Landry - 11, Julio Jones - 9, Julian Edelman - 8, Golden Tate - 7, Mike Evans - 7, C. Sutton - 7, Amari Cooper - 6, Tyreek Hill - 6, Smith-Shuster - 6, Davante Adams - 5

In essence, is Funchess Cris Carter when it comes to catching the ball? No. But is it a really a problem? No.  

It's been a problem back to his days at U-M. His career catch percentage is 51.9%. He played with Cam Newton is some of his better years too. You put MVS on here but 80% of his opportunities were deep balls that were missed badly. Just wonder how many of those people on the list had only 79 targets in 2018? Oh, and he led the league in drop % in 2018 with 13.9%. Yeah, it's a problem! 

Just go google Devon Funchess, drop issues and it's there for everyone to see. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/panthers-devin-funchess-kelvin-benjamin-drop-rate-nfl/

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

It's been a problem back to his days at U-M. His career catch percentage is 51.9%. He played with Cam Newton is some of his better years too. You put MVS on here but 80% of his opportunities were deep balls that were missed badly. Just wonder how many of those people on the list had only 79 targets in 2018? Oh, and he led the league in drop % in 2018 with 13.9%. Yeah, it's a problem! 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/panthers-devin-funchess-kelvin-benjamin-drop-rate-nfl/

My point is you're going to see a "flaw" in just about every No. 2-3 WR in this league, that's why they are No. 2-3 guys. People were clamoring for Robby Anderson on here and his career drop percentage is higher than Funchess'. He's going to drop a pass now and then. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Golfman said:

You beat me to it, but yeah Funchess had about half the targets of most of the rest of that list.  7 drops on 79 targets is very concerning, and it jives with a poor catch percentage.  FUnchess has skills but he's had issues with drops his entire career.

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

My point is you're going to see a "flaw" in just about every No. 2-3 WR in this league, that's why they are No. 2-3 guys. People were clamoring for Robby Anderson on here and his career drop percentage is higher than Funchess'. He's going to drop a pass now and then. 

OK, I was not clamoring for any of them other than Cooper which was never going to happen. My point, we already have 3 of him on our roster. 

Bigger point, if you are a WR and can't catch that is a problem. He's had a lot of trouble catching the football. Even more reason to pass on him!

2 hours ago, Donzo said:

That's fine, but they all can't be plodders. The FACT is the Packers have had trouble with defenses squatting on their receivers ever since Jordy popped his ACL. 

The Packers need big receivers like like Jordy, not like Kumerow or Allison. 

He drafted MVS and EQ... largely because of the combination of size and SPEED. Not saying he doesn’t want speed. He does...

But those guys with size and speed need to be drafted. In free agency, let’s be honest all the players have some questions around them that allowed them to make it to FA.

42 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Jordan couldn't hit 3's until his 6'th year in the league.