Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Funchess won't be getting 7 yard slants thrown at him at 70 mph anymore. Touch and Cam don't co-exist. He's got big hands and he's a hands catchers. Not worried about it. Hopefully he doesn't make me look foolish.

Who was throwing the 70 MPH fastballs as Michigan? He had the issue there as well. 

Everyone will drop one. The best pass snatcher that I’ve seen was Sterling Sharpe. His hands were like a steel vise.  Him catching passes looked like a toad catching bugs.  Except, sometimes when he would curl and get the ball between the letters he would drop them.  I hope  Funchess balls out in practice though.  That is big if you work with Rodgers. 

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

Jordan couldn't hit 3's until his 6'th year in the league.

Yet he still averaged 30 a game and was dominant. So Jordan, who was the defensive player of the year several times, also led the league in scoring and was the MVP. But he wasn't a great 3-point shooter. 

Compared to Funchess, whose #1 job is to catch, like scoring for Jordan, is not NFL quality in that department and you think in year 6 or 7 he may finally acquire the main talent his position requires.

Got it! 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He had a QB wearing #98 at Michigan. That should be all you need to know.

When you are a WR and the ball hits you in the hands, it doesn't matter the guys number throwing the ball. You are supposed to catch it. He struggles mightily with that task.

I'm done here! I hope the kid turns out for us! 

Edited by Golfman

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

Yet he still averaged 30 a game and was dominant. So Jordan, who was the defensive player of the year several times, also led the league in scoring and was the MVP. But he wasn't a great 3-point shooter. 

Compared to Funchess, whose #1 job is to catch, like scoring for Jordan, is not NFL quality in that department and you think in year 6 or 7 he may finally acquire the main talent his position requires.

Got it! 

Dude, you brought Jordan into this.  I said he didn't need to be a Jordan.  I said Kerr or Paxton.

I think you are being really stubborn if you think that his hands can't improve over time, as Jordan improved his 3 point game over time.

I think you are being really stubborn if you can't think that Rodgers throws a more catchable pass than Cam Newton.

15 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why are we using catch targets for an NFL receiver that played with Cam Newton? Have any of you ever watched Can Newton? There's a reason his right arm had to be surgically placed back on his body. That's a violent and inaccurate throwing motion.

Funch has never played with a QB that can throw a changeup, he's gotten the fastball wherever it comes off Newton's hand his whole career.

We're talking a 230+ man who was sub 7 in the cone and 38.5 in the vert. Long speed isn't great but I just need him to win 10 yards and stack because you aren't running through Devin Funchess as a DB. You aren't breaking him off his line on the short routes and those 33"+ arms give you plenty of room for error on the catch radius. The guy already had an 800+ yard season as a #2 for a less capable QB, not sure why we're ragging on him.

We can throw EQ, Funch, Adams and Lazard on the field in 4-wide sets now and that will be cool, maybe not effective, but cool.

At the same time, he ran a 4.48 SS at his pro day on the same day he ran that 4.5 40.  His change of direction ability is extremely poor, even for a 6'5", 230 lb.  For comparison, Lazard ran 4.33 and Mike Evans ran 4.24 at the same size, and we won't get into the pass rushers (remember that time Mario Williams ran a 4.36 SS at the combine at 6'6", 295 haha that's a real human being what the hell).  

I'm not actually down on Funchess.  Watching him play a bit on the coaches film, there's a lot to like athletically.  Man has a gorgeous stride, and while he can open it up downfield his form is good even in short areas.  Gets up to speed quick for a big receiver and is fluid in space.  Clearly a very natural athlete, as opposed to a guy like Lazard, who seems to fight it a bit out there.  

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Lol goodness gracious this is not a FACT.  Putting the word FACT in caps lock does not make something a FACT.

See: FACT, unicorns exist. 

Ah, ****.  Didn't work. 

The FACT is that Rodgers has developed bad habits. 

Fact - Rodgers had the 6th most time to throw this year.  5th the year before.  6th in 2016. 
Fact - Rodgers was the 8th LEAST aggressive QB in 2016, 10th least in 2018, 10th least in 2019. 

Jimmy Graham had the most yards of separation in the entire NFL per target.  Do you even understand what that FACT implies?  The AVERAGE number of yards of separation per target for Graham last year was 3.9 yards.  3.9 yards.  That means that Rodgers didn't even throw to Graham unless there wasn't a single defender within 4 damn yards of him. 

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2019/all

The FACT is that Rodgers was broken in 2015 chasing the big play and extending plays and he hasn't gotten out of it.  Squatting on their receivers?  What does that even mean? 

https://gamepass.nfl.com/schedule?redirected=true

Gamepass is free.  Watch it and you'll see that our receivers aren't covered.  They're covered DEEP, but more often than not they're not even covered short.  Maybe this move is all about getting Rodgers to play to LaFleur's system instead of the sit back and wait forever for someone to get open deep only to get sacked. 

Rodgers HAS to get more comfortable and secure in LF's system.  If he does and buys in ... looking good.  If he doesn't, big trouble!

28 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He had a QB wearing #98 at Michigan. That should be all you need to know.

God I remember that mess. Something in Gardner's mind flipped before he changed his number. Did he lose a bet or something?

Anyway, wasn't Funchess cut by Indy? I don't remember discussing that earlier; asking due to comp pick formula.

9 minutes ago, Joe said:

Anyway, wasn't Funchess cut by Indy? I don't remember discussing that earlier; asking due to comp pick formula.

He was just signed to a one year deal, so he counts against the comp pick formula.  Hopefully the numbers work out that he eats up Fackrell's comp pick, not one of the other ones.

44 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

from jeremy fowler twitter

Before agreeing to terms with Devin Funchess, the Packers also showed interest in Demarcus Robinson, an intriguing second-wave option with 449 yards/4 TD and a ring with KC last year.

I'm actually not surprised by this. He is somewhat intriguing but i'm concerned about the fact he faded away when Hill got injured instead of stepping up to fully showcase his talents. Mahomes just simply threw less and less to him as the season went on. 

Whether he's better than Geronimo Allison - i'm not so sure. I'm sorta glad we didn't pursue any further.

Funchess definitely is.