Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

16 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why are we using catch targets for an NFL receiver that played with Cam Newton? Have any of you ever watched Can Newton? There's a reason his right arm had to be surgically placed back on his body. That's a violent and inaccurate throwing motion.

Funch has never played with a QB that can throw a changeup, he's gotten the fastball wherever it comes off Newton's hand his whole career.

We're talking a 230+ man who was sub 7 in the cone and 38.5 in the vert. Long speed isn't great but I just need him to win 10 yards and stack because you aren't running through Devin Funchess as a DB. You aren't breaking him off his line on the short routes and those 33"+ arms give you plenty of room for error on the catch radius. The guy already had an 800+ yard season as a #2 for a less capable QB, not sure why we're ragging on him.

We can throw EQ, Funch, Adams and Lazard on the field in 4-wide sets now and that will be cool, maybe not effective, but cool.

Not sure Funchess is your guy for this.  Four games in and I haven't seen Funchess even get past a DB on a deep route in order to stack them.  Any time he tries to go deep against man the corner is right in his hip pocket stride for stride.  Any particular tape you recommend on him that you've seen?  I went with the Seahawks game from 2016, two from 2017 (Falcons/NO), and Baltimore from 2018.

33 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Not sure Funchess is your guy for this.  Four games in and I haven't seen Funchess even get past a DB on a deep route in order to stack them.  Any time he tries to go deep against man the corner is right in his hip pocket stride for stride.  Any particular tape you recommend on him that you've seen?  I went with the Seahawks game from 2016, two from 2017 (Falcons/NO), and Baltimore from 2018.

I just feel like he's "always open". If Rodgers still has any of it left, in most matchups, he should be able to put it where only he has a shot at it. As long as none of those get tipped for INTs in practice.

31 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Doesn't matter if the Packers already signed him.   It all depends on his cost … he's a vet that has shown some skills here and there who could fit in as a 2,3,4th receiver.   Adams and probably Lazard have made the team … everybody else has potential which often times gets coaches fired.  Draft another WR or two and let them fight it out.   

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Who's in over him?  Adams, draft pick, Lazard, MVS, snd ESB?  There's still room for Funchess on this team.

If you’re keeping Lazard and ESB, there isn’t much reason to keep Funchess who’s a similar body type. Would like that 6th spot to be a returner/slot type 

13 minutes ago, Rodjahs12 said:

If you’re keeping Lazard and ESB, there isn’t much reason to keep Funchess who’s a similar body type. Would like that 6th spot to be a returner/slot type 

What have MVS and especially ESB shown to deserve a spot? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

Next to nothing, it’s all projection at this point I just like both moving forward more than Funchess personally. One, perhaps even two are going to be the odd men out eventually. 

Given what Funchess will be making no chance he doesn't make the team.  There's a legitimate player there, he just has limitations.  I'm actually with @Packerraymond here that it's entirely possible his drop issues are overblown.  He dropped more than some of his teammates, but he's also a receiver that has to make tougher catches regularly due to how they used him and the type of QB Cam is.  

At this point, EQ and Funchess are pretty much fighting for the same role, with Funchess having better experience and EQ being a better all around athlete with legitimate speed.  There's a lot of comparisons with Lazard, but Lazard is a different type of athlete.  He's faster than Funchess in a straight line by a fair margin, but stiffer and doesn't bend well.  He drops speed a lot better than Funchess though, which makes his comebacks and sharp cut routes better.  Funchess has a real issue where everytime he needs to break down, it takes him so long even LBers can easily break back to him, and has a habit of rounding his routes at times.  He doesn't display a lot of guile in his route running either, which all together means there's a lot of routes where the defender clearly knows exactly where he's going before he even makes the cut.

Thing is, 6'5", 230 is still 6'5", 230, and he's smooth in his stem.  I actually really love his stem, and if Davante can help him work on his game at the break he has another level of potential he can hit.  A man that big with feet that light is a rare thing, and worth a look.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

MVS tapered off at the end of 2019. But the man still put up good numbers for a year and a half. ESB played well in 2018 for the limited amount of time he got also, we can't write him off for a freak injury. I dont see the problem having these guys as the 5th or 6th WRs on the depth chart.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

23 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

With MVS not much honestly.  Just better first and second year production than both Jordy Nelson and DaVante Adams.  Not like either of those two bums put it together in their third year or like the vast majority of NFL receivers don’t hit their stride in year three or anything.

At least Ted Thompson cut bait with Adams and Nelson after their first two years where they didn’t do anything.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

With MVS not much honestly.  Just better first and second year production than both Jordy Nelson and DaVante Adams.  Not like either of those two bums put it together in their third year or like the vast majority of NFL receivers don’t hit their stride in year three or anything.

At least Ted Thompson cut bait with Adams and Nelson after their first two years where they didn’t do anything.

The situation both Nelson and Adams walked into is entirely different than what MVS and ESB walked into. Their production is based off opportunity, not because they've earned it. Adams and Nelson had established, quality veterans in front of them. The #2 spot has been open the past two years and no one has stepped up to take it. Neither one of them is anymore safe than Funchess is, which was my point. 

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

The situation both Nelson and Adams walked into is entirely different than what MVS and ESB walked into. Their production is based off opportunity, not because they've earned it. Adams and Nelson had established, quality veterans in front of them. The #2 spot has been open the past two years and no one has stepped up to take it. Neither one of them is anymore safe than Funchess is, which was my point. 

Which is a good point.

Pretty much everyone after Devante Adams is going to have to earn their spot this year.  Lazard and a significant draft choice would have inside tracks, but everyone else will have to win the competition.

3 hours ago, Lodestar said:

My point is that he wasn't kept for special teams. He may have got a little boost cause they thought he had return value (spoiler alert: he didn't) but he was kept because of what he did as a receiver in training camp and preseason. You don't roster a WR for special teams and make him a healthy scratch weeks 1 and 2.

All this to say, Gute may have a "type" at WR, but keeping Shepherd makes a case for drafting someone like Reagor or Aiyuk.

You absolutely roster a WR for special teams.