Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

10 hours ago, fattlipp said:

Never said he was accurate or prolonged Benjamin’s career, but he did throw him 30 jump balls that year and got him paid.

Winston and Evans,  Rivers and Floyd, Arod needs a Welker type...throwing to a jump ball, purposely underthrowing,  Rodgers might rope a high point, but how often does he just throw it up for grabs and hope his guy wins the matchup....it’s like it doesn’t show enough skill or doesn’t want to risk an int,  even on 3rd and 15..  an int is like a punt at that point.

Yeah he could ... but then there would be folks on this site that would go nuts because he was just throwing it up there.  Better be longer than 3rd and 15 though  …  a good punt goes lot further than that.

15 hours ago, Golfman said:

Probably true with him coming off of an injury and all. I really do want the kid to turn out well for us, but am not a big fan of this move. Will be a lot less of a fan if it's more than vet min and a lot of guaranteed money. 

I'd be happy if he just pushes Lazard, MVS and ESB to be better in training camp.  If they can beat him out and make him a cut?  I'd be thrilled.

I'd actually be a little less happy if he beat them all out.  

I don't see Funchess as a long term Green and Gold guy.  He's a rental. And I pray that contract isn't too rich.

• Like 1

I think when you have to do mental gymnastics to justify a signing, it was probably a bad signing.  We aren't there, yet, (mental gymnastics) with Funchess because we don't know his contract....yet.

I did a little bit of a dive looking at drops in 2018 and 2019.  If you view Funchess as a #2 to #4 WR, his drop percentage isn't overly alarming.  If you look at him as a #1 or pseudo #1...then it is.  Here is what I found.

Here are a few from 2018....

Funchess...44 catches, 7 drops.

Jarvis Landry....81 catches, 11 drops.

Michael Crabtree....54 catches, 9 drops.

Courtland Sutton....42 catches, 7 drops.

John Brown....42 catches, 6 drops.

AJ Green...46 catches....5 drops.

Michael Gallup....33 catches, 5 drops.

Per Fox Sports data.

Heck, let's look at 2019 season.

Michael Gallup, 66 catches, 11 drops.

Deebo Samuel.  57 catches, 9 drops.

DK Metcalf.  58 catches, 7 drops.

Randall Cobb.  55 catches, 8 drops.

For funsies....Davante Adams, 83 catches, 7 drops.

GMO...34 catches, 5 drops.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packer_ESP said:

Yes, that was him. He brought it up in every single thread.

For years, it felt like. 

Latimer still doesn't have 1000 yards in his entire career.

Edited by Norm

1 hour ago, vegas492 said:

I think when you have to do mental gymnastics to justify a signing, it was probably a bad signing.  We aren't there, yet, (mental gymnastics) with Funchess because we don't know his contract....yet.

I did a little bit of a dive looking at drops in 2018 and 2019.  If you view Funchess as a #2 to #4 WR, his drop percentage isn't overly alarming.  If you look at him as a #1 or pseudo #1...then it is.  Here is what I found.

Here are a few from 2018....

Funchess...44 catches, 7 drops.

Jarvis Landry....81 catches, 11 drops.

Michael Crabtree....54 catches, 9 drops.

Courtland Sutton....42 catches, 7 drops.

John Brown....42 catches, 6 drops.

AJ Green...46 catches....5 drops.

Michael Gallup....33 catches, 5 drops.

Per Fox Sports data.

Heck, let's look at 2019 season.

Michael Gallup, 66 catches, 11 drops.

Deebo Samuel.  57 catches, 9 drops.

DK Metcalf.  58 catches, 7 drops.

Randall Cobb.  55 catches, 8 drops.

For funsies....Davante Adams, 83 catches, 7 drops.

GMO...34 catches, 5 drops.

In this article they list the top 10 receivers in 2018 and their drop rate. Funchess was #1 on the list with a 13.9%. Put another way, he led all #2, #3 and #4 WR in drop percentage. You can put as much lipstick on that pig as you want, but that is the stat. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/panthers-devin-funchess-kelvin-benjamin-drop-rate-nfl/

9 minutes ago, British said:

As we wait for the contract numbers, interesting to note for comparison that Vikings signed Tajae Sharpe for a 1 year, $1 million deal. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-sign-former-titans-receiver-tajae-sharpe

I'd probably defer to LaFleur on this one. If he didn't want one of his old guys I'm not too beat up about it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, British said:

As we wait for the contract numbers, interesting to note for comparison that Vikings signed Tajae Sharpe for a 1 year, $1 million deal. 

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-sign-former-titans-receiver-tajae-sharpe

I hope we get him for that, but its worth noting Funchess has had significantly more career production than Sharpe.