Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

Article is from last year but since Funchess only played 1 game in 2019, it does bring up some promising tidbits and tells why the Colts were excited to have him before he got hurt...

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/30/panthers-nfl-free-agency-devin-funchess-colts-andrew-luck-t-y-hilton/

However, if Indy uses him more in the slot instead of in a classic outside receiver role, those issues could be minimized. According to Evan Silva, Funchess has not dropped a single pass on 55 career slot targets. All 23 of his drops have come on outside targets.

And there's this...

Frank Reich was elated watching Devin Funchess on film. Loved the fact a big, "physical monster" has the feet he does & runs routes like he does.Turns out Funchess was absolutely OUTSTANDING (80% success) on the 2 routes Luck threw the most last year under Reich: curls & outs.

Is Funchess the Packers new slot receiver? Because he's terrible outside but damn near stellar from the slot.

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Article is from last year but since Funchess only played 1 game in 2019, it does bring up some promising tidbits and tells why the Colts were excited to have him before he got hurt...

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/03/30/panthers-nfl-free-agency-devin-funchess-colts-andrew-luck-t-y-hilton/

And there's this...

Is Funchess the Packers new slot receiver? Because he's terrible outside but damn near stellar from the slot.

I don't know if he's the new slot receiver, but he's versatile enough to be able to play from that spot.  I think the Packers will move guys around there .. Adams is excellent out of the slot as well.  I've warmed up to this signing .. he's every bit as talented as Lazard, and is a step up over the rest of the guys outside of Adams.  We improved ourselves with that signing.

3 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Yes. My guess is that he is WR3 (or WR2 when only one boundary WR). 

I think the biggest question is who steps up to take the other boundary WR role. MVS? Lazard? ESB? Rookie? Hopefully someone makes a significant jump.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Yes. My guess is that he is WR3 (or WR2 when only one boundary WR). 

I think the biggest question is who steps up to take the other boundary WR role. MVS? Lazard? ESB? Rookie? Hopefully someone makes a significant jump.

If they go Mims or Pittman at 30, I think either one is probably your No. 2 on the boundary day 1. Obviously there will be a rotation still with the other guys. 

20 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If they go Mims or Pittman at 30, I think either one is probably your No. 2 on the boundary day 1. Obviously there will be a rotation still with the other guys. 

man i wish mims would be there.  Isn't he gonna be a top 15 pick?

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

man i wish mims would be there.  Isn't he gonna be a top 15 pick?

I doubt top 15, but watch out for the Eagles and Vikings at 21 and 22 for Mims. If he makes it past them (and then the Vikings again at 25), I think he's there at 30. 

17 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I doubt top 15, but watch out for the Eagles and Vikings at 21 and 22 for Mims. If he makes it past them (and then the Vikings again at 25), I think he's there at 30. 

The Packers are not going to take a WR at #30 .. just don't see that happening.  They haven't taken a wideout in round one in 18 years .. can't imagine that suddenly changes.  

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

The Packers are not going to take a WR at #30 .. just don't see that happening.  They haven't taken a wideout in round one in 18 years .. can't imagine that suddenly changes.  

the packers are not gonna sign 2 priority FAs... is something we used to say too.  

We might trade back in the 1st into early 2nd and take a WR.  It all depends how the board falls.  

2 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

the packers are not gonna sign 2 priority FAs... is something we used to say too.  

We might trade back in the 1st into early 2nd and take a WR.  It all depends how the board falls.  

This is also the deepest WR class possibly ever in a year of serious need there. If any year is going to be an outlier it’ll be this one. 

Edit: quoted the wrong person my bad lol 

Edited by Rodjahs12

4 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I agree with you.  

But...WR is still the position that is the most bare.  We didn't take any in the first round for a really long time because we've been loaded at the position.  

It's different this year in that we've shored up a lot of other positions, and WR is still a large question mark.

Very much agree that you should take a big ugly, corner or pass rusher over a WR.  But man, even with Funchess, our WR corp is pretty weak.

That is my only cause for considering WR with our first pick.

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Is 6 picks really THAT significant?

LOL FG just got hammered with notifs.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 minute ago, Rodjahs12 said:

This is also the deepest WR class possibly ever in a year of serious need there. If any year is going to be an outlier it’ll be this one. 

Edit: quoted the wrong person my bad lol 

With a deep field at WR it makes even more sense for the Packers to wait past pick #30 to get a wideout.

• Like 3