Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

Just now, AlexGreen#20 said:

You're sure that's the popular opinion?

So you get one premium pick a year?

You can probably buy 95% of the players in the NFL by picking up the phone and calling a GM and offering a 2nd rounder. It's a premium pick. Ted valued WRs, Im sure Gute will too. Especially in a draft like this where the drop off from elite to meh at the premiums hits a hell of a lot faster than at WR. Let's hope the board falls in a way where we can take a nice premium. If I'm staring at Justin Jefferson and Ross Blacklock though, that's an easy call on who's the better prospect.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Wolf's greatest regret should have been allowing an average aging QB  to eat up a massive amount of his teams cap space because he was handicapped by a personal relationship with the man and the possibility of the fans rioting if he would have moved on. Stop me if you've heard this before.

Wow, that's so stupid it's hard to comprehend. It's too bad I saw it in Packerraymond's post, but I did.

I mean, geez, if ya took an ssg post X an outpost post, that would be as stupid as the nonsense you posted here.

Well done!

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Ted Thompson was trained by the guy who stated his biggest regret was not giving Favre enough skills talent towards the end of his career. That man turned around and used premium picks on Terrence Murphy, Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb, Davante Adams and Ty Montgomery.

It's amazing how well TT hit on WR's in the 2 & 3rd rounds.

Amazingly, possibly the best pick of them all was the one that didn't play. I was in Green Bay a lot twelve to eight years ago. Everyone told me Terrence Murphy would have been the best of the lot. He was like a little bigger Jennings with an extra gear.

Damn kickoff returns- >:(

People forget that Thompson literally admitted that Jordy Nelson was his primary target in that draft.  Not his primary receiver target, his primary target period. 

He traded down 7 spots. 

Call 2nd round pics premium all you want, but Thompson's entire history was made of NOT reaching on receivers. 

Terrance Murphy?  So Thompson was so obsessed with using premium picks to surround his QB that he picked a QB 24th overall, a safety 51st overall, THEN used a "premium" 58th overall pick on a WR? 

Greg Jennings?  5th overall, ILB (gross), Daryn College 47th overall, Greg Jennings 52nd overall. 

James Jones?  He goes IDL 16th overall, RB 63rd overall, then Jones 78th overall. 

Randall Cobb?  The last pick of the second round is a premium pick?

Davante Adams was 53rd overall.

Ty Montgomery was a 3rd round pick. 

So those "premium" picks.

One of them he traded down into the second round when he was his target all along.
Four of them were his third pick in the draft.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

People forget that Thompson literally admitted that Jordy Nelson was his primary target in that draft.  Not his primary receiver target, his primary target period. 

He traded down 7 spots. 

Call 2nd round pics premium all you want, but Thompson's entire history was made of NOT reaching on receivers. 

Terrance Murphy?  So Thompson was so obsessed with using premium picks to surround his QB that he picked a QB 24th overall, a safety 51st overall, THEN used a "premium" 58th overall pick on a WR? 

Greg Jennings?  5th overall, ILB (gross), Daryn College 47th overall, Greg Jennings 52nd overall. 

James Jones?  He goes IDL 16th overall, RB 63rd overall, then Jones 78th overall. 

One of them he traded down into the second round when he was his target all along.

Thompson had a gift for identifying WRs, no question. The question remains is the second round considered premium. I'd say based on the fact we got Nelson, Jennings, Cobb and Adams in the second round, yes it is clearly a premium pick. 

The percentage of the second round that turns out premium varies from draft to draft. 

Just now, Golfman said:

Thompson had a gift for identifying WRs, no question. The question remains is the second round considered premium. I'd say based on the fact we got Nelson, Jennings, Cobb and Adams in the second round, yes it is clearly a premium pick. 

The percentage of the second round that turns out premium varies from draft to draft. 

Ted Thompson drafted 18 receivers in his time here.  The average draft position of those 18 picks was 141st overall. 

Exactly.   You pick best player available with premium picks. You still have to pay attention to salary cap and premium position while doing this.

You fill gaps with the other picks.  Forcing a pick into a position to try and fill gaps is how teams talent levels drop overall.

This became TT problem with his last few drafts.   He started drafting positions rather than BPA.  The result showed in the overall talent level of our roster.

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Ted Thompson drafted 18 receivers in his time here.  The average draft position of those 18 picks was 141st overall. 

Nothing to do with whether or not a second round pick is premium. Given that the guys who turned out great were mostly in the second round, yeah, it's a premium pick. Jones, the other one, was top 1/2 of round 3. 

Isn't Ted still in some sort of advisory role? I know he's had some health issues, but IIRC he was still giving input.

Also, 2nd round picks are premium picks simply because the first 15-20 of them are guys that we thought would go mid to late first round. How many guys have we seen get drafted at like pick 52 that we really hoped would fall to picks 58-62 or wherever we would draft and in a draft like this one coming up. I'd be packaging those extra 6ths and 7ths to move up to at least pick 47. 

4 minutes ago, Joe said:

Isn't Ted still in some sort of advisory role? I know he's had some health issues, but IIRC he was still giving input.

Also, 2nd round picks are premium picks simply because the first 15-20 of them are guys that we thought would go mid to late first round. How many guys have we seen get drafted at like pick 52 that we really hoped would fall to picks 58-62 or wherever we would draft and in a draft like this one coming up. I'd be packaging those extra 6ths and 7ths to move up to at least pick 47. 

Nobody wants to give away a top 50 pick for 6th's and 7th's ... not gonna happen!

Edited by {Family Ghost}

32 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He traded down 7 spots. 

Who said anything about reaching? Stop putting words in my mouth.

It's actually the opposite. If Gute has a WR graded higher than a DL, does he reach on the DL because "premium position" ? I don't think he does. That's my argument.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Who said anything about reaching? Stop putting words in my mouth.

It's actually the opposite. If Gute has a WR graded higher than a DL, does he reach on the DL because "premium position" ? I don't think he does. That's my argument.

Ted Thompson did not use premium picks on receivers. 

Standby for the proof. 

36 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He traded down 7 spots. 

That being said, I really wish he would have "reached" for DeAndre Hopkins in round 1 over Datone Jones...

• Like 2