Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

Just now, packfanfb said:

That being said, I really wish he would have "reached" for DeAndre Hopkins in round 1 over Datone Jones...

And frankly that's just further proof that Thompson did not value the WR position.  If you trade down when your primary target is available, you're not putting much value there. 

Ted Thompson: 121 picks

8 EDGE - 95th overall
11 OT - 108th overall
20 DB - 109th overall
16 DL - 129th overall
6 QB - 138th overall
18 WR - 141st overall
10 RB - 147th overall
13 ILB - 150th overall
7 TE - 165th overall
10 IOL - 166th overall
1 Kicker - 193rd overall
1 FB - 206th overall

@Golfman, @Donzo, @Packerraymond

This falls almost perfectly in line with premium positions/picks. 

Keep in mind the following:

1. You don't draft quarterbacks when you've got Aaron Rodgers 2009-2015. 
2. DL and DB seems strange.  Feels like it should have been switched.  Our extreme lack of a safety for a good 3 years probably skews the data. 

Otherwise, this is almost exactly what you'd expect.  Tight ends, ILB, IOL = meaningless luxury positions.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Nobody wants to give away a top 50 pick for 6th's and 7th's ... not gonna happen!

Correct Ghost! 

Edit: I re-posted draft related comment in the “off-season discussion” thread.

Edited by JQ1

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Then I seem to be missing the point you're trying to make. 

The original argument was that if a WR who was higher rated than all other positions was on the board, we should take him over the premiums. The argument was we don't value WRs that much. I beg to differ, we've invested enough over the years at WR to show that we would take one as BPA.

Only two times in Thompsons era did a true stud of a WR make it to our pick, Crabtree and Dez. Raji and Bulaga who were equal if not better prospects also made it. Hopkins as referenced above was not a clear BPA guy. I'd argue both Patterson and Justin Hunter were considered better prospects.

This year we could very well see it again, we'll see if a stud of a premium also makes it. If not, I do expect us to take the BPA, or trade down. No doubt to me that I think Gute wants an OT to fall and would prefer it, but I do think he pulls the trigger on a WR before lesser prospects like Madibuke, Gallimore or Blacklock.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

So you get one premium pick a year?

You can probably buy 95% of the players in the NFL by picking up the phone and calling a GM and offering a 2nd rounder. It's a premium pick. Ted valued WRs, Im sure Gute will too. Especially in a draft like this where the drop off from elite to meh at the premiums hits a hell of a lot faster than at WR. Let's hope the board falls in a way where we can take a nice premium. If I'm staring at Justin Jefferson and Ross Blacklock though, that's an easy call on who's the better prospect.

I'm not even sure every team gets a premium pick.

How many Packers starters could you buy for a second round pick? Lazard, Sternberger, MVS, Turner (maybe) Lowry, Lancaster, Sullivan. You can not get 95% of players.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

The original argument was that if a WR who was higher rated than all other positions was on the board, we should take him over the premiums. The argument was we don't value WRs that much. I beg to differ, we've invested enough over the years at WR to show that we would take one as BPA.

I don't think this is true. 

(3 years before Favre left) Aaron Rodgers - Roddy White
Nick Collins - Roscoe Parrish, Terrance Murphy, Vincent Jackson
College - Jennings
Harrell - Bowe,
Trade - Avery, Thomas, Nelson, Hardy, Royal
Raji - Crabtree
Matthews - Nicks, Britt
Bulaga - Bryant
Neal - Tate
Jones - Hopkins, Patterson

I'd say Datone Jones, Neal and Harrell are pretty clear cases of reaching on DL over WR.

Everybody thought Harrell was a serious reach.  Not just after Harrell injury-busted, but at the time. 

Aaron Rodgers was obviously a huge fall in the draft, but he shows that Thompson valued future value over current value.  We REALLY needed a receiver that year. 

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm not even sure every team gets a premium pick.

How many Packers starters could you buy for a second round pick? Lazard, Sternberger, MVS, Turner (maybe) Lowry, Lancaster, Sullivan. You can not get 95% of players.

Jones, #2WR, any TE, Wagner, Turner, Linsley, Lowry, Kirksey, King (if we have no plans to re-sign) Amos. Easily sell any for a #2.

Basically Rodgers, Adams, Bahk, Jenkins, Clark, Alexander, Smiths and Savage.

Maybe 95% was high, more like 90%.

17 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Only two times in Thompsons era did a true stud of a WR make it to our pick, Crabtree and Dez. Raji and Bulaga who were equal if not better prospects also made it. Hopkins as referenced above was not a clear BPA guy. I'd argue both Patterson and Justin Hunter were considered better prospects.

This year we could very well see it again, we'll see if a stud of a premium also makes it. If not, I do expect us to take the BPA, or trade down. No doubt to me that I think Gute wants an OT to fall and would prefer it, but I do think he pulls the trigger on a WR before lesser prospects like Madibuke, Gallimore or Blacklock.

This was basically my original post on the issue. The number 7 WR may still be the better player than the number 3 IDL. I think the only position that challenges WR as the "best player/value available" at 30 will likely be OT. 

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I don't think this is true. 

(3 years before Favre left) Aaron Rodgers - Roddy White
Nick Collins - Roscoe Parrish, Terrance Murphy, Vincent Jackson
College - Jennings
Harrell - Bowe,
Trade - Avery, Thomas, Nelson, Hardy, Royal
Raji - Crabtree
Matthews - Nicks, Britt
Bulaga - Bryant
Neal - Tate
Jones - Hopkins, Patterson

I'd say Datone Jones, Neal and Harrell are pretty clear cases of reaching on DL over WR.

Everybody thought Harrell was a serious reach.  Not just after Harrell injury-busted, but at the time. 

Aaron Rodgers was obviously a huge fall in the draft, but he shows that Thompson valued future value over current value.  We REALLY needed a receiver that year. 

If your 3 examples of taking the DL were Harrell, Jones and Neal. I'd say Gute has learned from those mistakes. You don't bump a mediocre prospect due to position.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

If your 3 examples of taking the DL were Harrell, Jones and Neal. I'd say Gute has learned from those mistakes. You don't bump a mediocre prospect due to position.

Rashan Gary. 

Edit: Man, looking at who went within Gary's pick makes me really NOT blame Gute for that pick. 

Yeah in hindsight I'd take Wilkins or Lawrence, but Burns just screams Leonard Floyd to me.  Not taking an IOL 12th overall even if they're Quenton Nelson.  You take that chance at elite athleticism at EDGE, possibly DL any year if there's no QB/OT available and the DL aren't all that promising. 

Edited by Outpost31

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Jones, #2WR, any TE, Wagner, Turner, Linsley, Lowry, Kirksey, King (if we have no plans to re-sign) Amos. Easily sell any for a #2.

Basically Rodgers, Adams, Bahk, Jenkins, Clark, Alexander, Smiths and Savage.

Maybe 95% was high, more like 90%.

Maybe on a regular team those guys go. We're actually trying to win a Superbowl this year.

1 hour ago, Donzo said:

Wow, that's so stupid it's hard to comprehend. It's too bad I saw it in Packerraymond's post, but I did.

I mean, geez, if ya took an ssg post X an outpost post, that would be as stupid as the nonsense you posted here.

Well done!

What's stupid about it? Ever checked Favre's 21st century stats?