Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

That's a modest deal, but large enough to make it evident that Gute looks at him as a roster lock, not just a competition guy.  Funch doesn't have to really win a spot; he's just got to avoid losing it.  

I don't think the reference to "#2 receiver" is really helpful.  I don't think Funch is likely to be a quality #2, nor should anybody expect that, or be disappointed when he probably isn't.  It's not like he really IS that, or SOLVES #2; but he's a guy who may be useful in the league, if healthy and if used right.  And whatever his limits, he's still likely to be more effective than Allison or kumerow or whomever gets bumped off the roster as a result, so a reasonable shot to improve the roster by an increment.  

The analysis that he's been sure-handed and effective from slot, even though not that effective wide, was an interesting and perhaps significant one.  I kinda have to assume that's what Gute and MLF will be looking at, and trying to use him as.  I think Vegas has made the point that it takes WR time to learn a system; that's not unique to rookie WR.  So it will be interesting to see how quickly Funch can pick things up, and whether he'll ever become a guy that Rodgers looks to throw to, or ends up getting no more targets per game than did Allison or rookie ESB.  

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Gotta ***** about something.

--------------------------

More importantly, @beekay414 how you feeling?   Hope you are on the upswing with the illness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feel great. 2 more days (today and tomorrow) and I'm back to living a normal life. Finally have all my energy back and I'm back to being my normal self lol.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 7

5 minutes ago, craig said:

That's a modest deal, but large enough to make it evident that Gute looks at him as a roster lock, not just a competition guy.  Funch doesn't have to really win a spot; he's just got to avoid losing it.  

I don't think the reference to "#2 receiver" is really helpful.  I don't think Funch is likely to be a quality #2, nor should anybody expect that, or be disappointed when he probably isn't.  It's not like he really IS that, or SOLVES #2; but he's a guy who may be useful in the league, if healthy and if used right.  And whatever his limits, he's still likely to be more effective than Allison or kumerow or whomever gets bumped off the roster as a result, so a reasonable shot to improve the roster by an increment.  

The analysis that he's been sure-handed and effective from slot, even though not that effective wide, was an interesting and perhaps significant one.  I kinda have to assume that's what Gute and MLF will be looking at, and trying to use him as.  I think Vegas has made the point that it takes WR time to learn a system; that's not unique to rookie WR.  So it will be interesting to see how quickly Funch can pick things up, and whether he'll ever become a guy that Rodgers looks to throw to, or ends up getting no more targets per game than did Allison or rookie ESB.  

If you believe in the analytics and that Funchess' slot numbers are going to stay on track from his year 3 and 4 in Carolina, there's a lot to love about this signing. He was an elite slot guy from both a receiving and a blocking perspective. 

This signing has some ceiling. Whether we've got a coach/QB combo that is going to do what needs to be done to utilize him in that way remains to be seen. Lord knows it's going to be hard to keep a 6'4 225lb dude off the boundary, and Davante plays some in the slot also, but this is another signing that shows we're taking intelligent gambles.

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If you believe in the analytics and that Funchess' slot numbers are going to stay on track from his year 3 and 4 in Carolina, there's a lot to love about this signing. He was an elite slot guy from both a receiving and a blocking perspective. 

This ceiling has some ceiling. Whether we've got a coach/QB combo that is going to do what needs to be done to utilize him in that way remains to be seen. 

If Rodgers fails to use him, I jump ship. You cannot be a stubborn asshat at 37 years old. You HAVE to adjust. Brady did. Brees did. Manning did. If he doesn't adjust, he loses one of his most staunch supporters.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

..Whether we've got a coach/QB combo that is going to do what needs to be done to utilize him in that way remains to be seen. 

Yup, that's the big uncertain question.  And the second is how quickly a first-year guy can pick things up and be worth using.

19 minutes ago, Jaegybomb said:

I think they just bumped it to 55.

Close...

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfls-new-cba-explained-heres-a-look-at-all-the-season-roster-and-salary-changes/

I think the new changes with the practice squad greatly benefit those teams who have elite coaching staffs that can develop borderline players into solid role players at worst. I'd like to think we were in that group...

• Like 1