Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

Woah. What is it with the Packers front office and their obsession with surrounding Rodgers with big receivers when history tells us that Rodgers thrives with receivers that are the complete opposite. Driver, Jennings, Adams, Cobb etc.. Nelson was an anomaly,

He's not going to throw up 50/50 balls, he will scramble often so his receivers need to be able to change direction and adjust quickly to get that initial separation for Rodgers to make that throw. Larger receivers isn't going to be able to do it as well so what will happen is that Rodgers will either hold on to the ball or throw it away.

It's a signing that doesn't make too much sense imo.

Edit: Don't get me wrong its nice to find an experienced WR2 with a good level of NFL production opposite Adams. He will offer something different and probably be really useful in run blocking but he's not a player that's going to bring the best out of Rodgers.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

I'm okay with it .. hopefully he can come in and win a spot.  I'm not sure he's the #2 we're looking for .. probably isn't that.  I hope we go for two slick and sleek wideouts in the draft .. I wants some guys that can take a short pass to the house .. feel we definitely lack that.

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Chili said:

Woah. What is it with the Packers front office and their obsession with surrounding Rodgers with big receivers when history tells us that Rodgers thrives with receivers that are the complete opposite. Driver, Jennings, Adams, Cobb etc..

He's not going to throw up 50/50 balls, he will scramble often so his receivers need to be able to change direction and adjust quickly to get that initial separation for Rodgers to make that throw. Larger receivers isn't going to be able to do it as well so what will happen is that Rodgers will either hold on to the ball or throw it away.

It's a signing that doesn't make too much sense imo.

To be fair, many of Funchess’s best catches came as a result of Newton scrambling and finding Funchess.  Agree with you that Rodgers will need to find some chemistry and trust him (and others) to make some contested catches though.

2 minutes ago, MrBobGray said:

Unrelated note, I was shocked to find out he doesn't even turn 26 until May.  Young guy to be on his 6th year in the league, and another vet for the WR room at the same time.  So that's nifty.

How is this “unrelated” Bob?  Pertinent piece of info IMO, and I like it!

• Like 1