Packers sign Devin Funchess

HighCalebR

Regarding Funchess’ 1 year deal with the Colts last year:

"According to PFF the contract has a max value of $13 million.

Source

So if it’s more than “vet’s minimum” it’s a bad deal for the Packers? To me, It sounds like Silverstein is looking for more reasons to snipe at the Packers. Does he really think a guy is going from a big payday to vet's minimum?

Edited by JQ1
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

I like Lazard, but you have to be pretty high on him to say this with confidence. By the time Funchess was Lazard's age, he had 150+ catches for 2,000+ yards and 20+ TDs. At minimum he's a solid WR3/4 with WR2 upside having never played in a very receiver-friendly system. Depends on the contract, but this is a solid signing IMO.

And yes, I too hope we add more speed/quickness through the draft.

This! 

I’m not sure where the “drops passes” infor comes from. But his stat-lines show ONE fumble in his first NFL season, and 164 receptions. So it would seem once he catches the ball he secures possession.

Devin Funchess Stats

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Man I loved Funch as a big slot WR/TE hybrid coming out. 2017 was a nice year, beyond that it really didn't materialize. Anything under 3m per and I'm totally OK bringing him to camp.

do you think this could be more a 2nd pass catching TE type vs a WR?

He had some great production at MI and his size leads me to think more TE type vs WR.  

I am not sure how he is as a blocking WR

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JQ1 said:

This! 

I’m not sure where the “drops passes” infor comes from. But his stat-lines show ONE fumble in his first NFL season, and 164 receptions. So it would seem once he catches the ball he secures possession.

Devin Funchess Stats

He played one game in 2019. 

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/09/panthers-devin-funchess-kelvin-benjamin-drop-rate-nfl/

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/panthers-devin-funchess-struggles-through-drop-filled-outing/

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

do you think this could be more a 2nd pass catching TE type vs a WR?

He had some great production at MI and his size leads me to think more TE type vs WR.  

I am not sure how he is as a blocking WR

Either he or Lazard might wind up getting some snaps from the TE spot.  It might be a way to get more reeivers on the field.  Sternberger can work out of the backfield some.  We have some interesting pieces.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Chili said:

Interesting decision by Funchess to join the Packers. I'd argue that he would be better off in Indianapolis with Rivers throwing to him as he does have a history of utilising his bigger receivers and taking more risks with his throws.

With Rodgers he has to gain ALOT of trust for Funchess to succeed.

Depends on whether INDY wanted him to return.   HIlton, Campbell, Pascall are there and maybe Funchess was looking for more snaps ?

If it's for vet minimum then zero risk. Won't even affect our comp picks. Chuck him into the mix. He's probably better than Geronimo. 

Heck, if it's that low then we could add another cheap free agent WR, draft a couple and if Funch gets beat out we lose nothing.