Jets sign WR Breshad Perriman (One year, $8 M, $6 gt'd)

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

Am I trippin'?  When did people start considering Breshad Perriman a good receiver lol I thought he was widely considered to be a bust...

He played well last year and that changed a lot of people's opinions on him.

Perriman had 36 receptions and  645 yards last year. That was his best year and that was with a gunslinger qb throwing for over 5000 yards. He has not proven to be more reliable than Robby Anderson in any way. Perrimans never had 40 receptions in a season; Anderson has never not had 40 receptions in a season. Anderson put 941 yards in 15 starts with Josh McCown and Bryce petty at qb. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Danger said:

I'd take Perriman over Anderson. Maybe he's not the same deep threat, but a better receiver overall for less money. If I'm a jets fan, I'm just hoping that they aren't settling for Perriman and draft someone at 11. As an Eagles fan I hope they go another direction in the draft.

We have so many holes, pick 11 could be a OT to lead our revamped ol or try to get our #1 wr

Then theres a chance we end up taking an edge like Chaison.

I'm hoping its OT or WR. Getting Darnold help is most important. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Folesadelphia said:

Perriman had 36 receptions and  645 yards last year. That was his best year and that was with a gunslinger qb throwing for over 5000 yards. He has not proven to be more reliable than Robby Anderson in any way. Perrimans never had 40 receptions in a season; Anderson has never not had 40 receptions in a season. Anderson put 941 yards in 15 starts with Josh McCown and Bryce petty at qb. 

That was as a number 3 to 2 top 10 WRs though.

2 hours ago, Danger said:

I'd take Perriman over Anderson. Maybe he's not the same deep threat, but a better receiver overall for less money. If I'm a jets fan, I'm just hoping that they aren't settling for Perriman and draft someone at 11. As an Eagles fan I hope they go another direction in the draft.

I think Joe Douglas plans on continuing to build his OL and address WR with a few picks on day 2 and 3, but anything can happen between now and then.

I think Perriman will play his way into a nice extension. May not be a #1 or #2, but he should be a solid #3/4 option in this offense as the primary X (TE Herndon, Slot Crowder will be the top 2 targets) and Sam likes to spread around the ball. They need to add a Z badly and they'll likely look to add an all purpose receiver. KJ Hamler is someone we've been linked to. 

Perriman has 5-6 decent games a season. The physical talent is there, but he is not an athlete with great balance. Size and speed ratio and sometimes he performs well, but there are too many games where he either fades out, make strange mistakes, causes turnovers due to not looking for the football or running the wrong route.

Just a wildly inconsistent player with physical upside. Hard worker and good guy for all I have heard, so can't knock him for that. Had he been a 3-4 round pick as he should have been (instead of Ravens being enamored with that 4.2 something 40 yard at his pro day), he wouldn't be considered a bust and he would be talked about in a better light.

With the Browns and with Tampa where he was the 3-4 WR he was in a better role to succeed than in Baltimore, where he was supposed to be the guy. He could never become that, and then lost all confidence and was a lost cause there and needed a change.

In Tampa last year, I believe he was still called out by Arians who excused some of Winstons interceptions due to receivers not doing what they should, and he also had some weird play where he ran into his own guy when he was motioning to the left. Those plays just happens with him. 

Edit: I don't know what was actually supposed to happen on this play, but if you are Perriman, at least show the awareness, so you DON'T RUN INTO YOUR OWN GUY

Edited by Danand

Still think we downgraded losing Robby. Also the fact we may not have proper OTA’s and training camps means the familiarity Darnold and Robby had will not be replicated with Perriman. 

Nice signing but in a crucial year for Darnold we should have brought back Robby and drafted a guy in round 2 & 3. 

4 hours ago, Danand said:

Drops was a big issue with Baltimore. I don't know how much he has cleaned up on that front

Weren't perfect in Cleveland from what I can recall, but I wouldn't say he had bad hands by any means for us.