Jump to content
Bobby816

Jets sign Breshad Perriman

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

I only know a bit about him. So, compared to Robby, what do we have? Deep threat but not as good on deep routes as Robby. But is a more well rounded player? 

Not exactly. He's similar to Robby in the sense that both are primarily deep threats with elite speed. Having said that, he's actually the more limited player in terms of his ability as a route runner and what he can schematically.

Former first round pick who scouts fell in love with because of his size/speed combo. Was a bust for the first 3+ years of his career until he went off the last 5 games of last season in the pass happy Bucs offense. Looks to have possibly turned the corner but still essentially a poor mans Robby at this point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Slept on my thoughts on this... and it really doesn’t move the needle much for me at all for us at WR.

 

Quite frankly he’s overpaid if you consider we got Doctson for 800k who is only a year older, also a former 1st rounder hoping a change scenery will help and stats are just a bit less over their career. Seems we paid a guy who had 5 good games to finish the year in a very pass happy offense. Trust me I love Perrimans skill set (for those who were around I wanted him in Round 2 his draft year) and hope he's great for us. But we paid him on those 5 games rather than what he has done the rest of his career.

 

On the flip side if we get the guy this year that plays a whole season like he did the last 5 games that’s great and he’s an absolute steal. But he’s only on a 1 year deal and therefor will be a risk long term potential signing for us. So JD protected it with it only being a 1 year deal. But could also sucker us in potentially to pay him after this year when he’d still be a risk. Which could go either way.

 

As I stated I like the signing, but it's not changing my outlook for us at WR much going into the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

As I stated I like the signing, but it's not changing my outlook for us at WR much going into the draft.

The thing is, was there any 1 move at WR that would have changed your outlook?

Because most of us still want to draft 2 receivers no matter what happened or happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The thing is, was there any 1 move at WR that would have changed your outlook?

Because most of us still want to draft 2 receivers no matter what happened or happens.

Trading for Cooks (which I guess "could" still happen) IMO would have been better. But yes you're right... there's wasnt a FA that would have changed my opinion at WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel good about Breshad. I think he's going to turn this one year deal into an extension. With Robby headed to an offense where he'll be the 3rd, possibly 4th option in the passing game, I think Perriman will outproduce him this year.

That's not to say I think Perriman is a safe #2 the way Robby Anderson was, but an adequate #3/4 option in a high volume passing offense. He's not the deep threat Robby was - Robby is amongst the best in the NFL - but I think we'll come to see that he's more "complete" as a route runner. If you're pessimistic you should look at his injury history, production, and come to the conclusion that while talented he can't be trusted. If you're optimistic, you'll note that he's more athletically gifted than Robby is, a more complete route runner, and showed glimpses of being a #1 - yes, a #1 - option in the passing game. 

My thoughts are that he finally appears to be over the injuries that have hampered him since college (2 years injury free) and will end up being a short-term #3 and long-term #4 who can provide playmaking juice to the offense. Think along the lines of Ted Ginn/Donta' Stallworth/Cordarrelle Patterson.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

I feel good about Breshad. I think he's going to turn this one year deal into an extension. With Robby headed to an offense where he'll be the 3rd, possibly 4th option in the passing game, I think Perriman will outproduce him this year.

That's not to say I think Perriman is a safe #2 the way Robby Anderson was, but an adequate #3/4 option in a high volume passing offense. He's not the deep threat Robby was - Robby is amongst the best in the NFL - but I think we'll come to see that he's more "complete" as a route runner. If you're pessimistic you should look at his injury history, production, and come to the conclusion that while talented he can't be trusted. If you're optimistic, you'll note that he's more athletically gifted than Robby is, a more complete route runner, and showed glimpses of being a #1 - yes, a #1 - option in the passing game. 

My thoughts are that he finally appears to be over the injuries that have hampered him since college (2 years injury free) and will end up being a short-term #3 and long-term #4 who can provide playmaking juice to the offense. Think along the lines of Ted Ginn/Donta' Stallworth/Cordarrelle Patterson.

 

I really don't see Perriman as being the more complete route runner - He's stiff in the hips and still somehow incredibly raw when it comes to his technique. I agree that he's the more physically gifted athlete but Robby is far more fluid IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, NJC33 said:

I really don't see Perriman as being the more complete route runner - He's stiff in the hips and still somehow incredibly raw when it comes to his technique. I agree that he's the more physically gifted athlete but Robby is far more fluid IMO. 

3-5 years ago yes, but he's become more lean and with that less "stiff" as his college tape showed him to be. His list weight is probably 10-12 lb. more than his playing weight. He was a raw, mechanical, freak athlete (think Stephen Hill) when he came out. His college playing weight was in the 220s, and he reported to the combine at 212. He's listed at 215, but I'm thinking he played at around 200-2005 in 2019. Injuries prevented him from getting the necessary practice reps to hone his skills, but I see someone who has improved his route running and catching technique over the past few years. Video incoming later today... I'm going to try out free NFL Game Pass All-22 and see if I can put together a video detailing the kind of routes he can run short/intermediate that Robby hasn't - one of them is the quick slant, which has been missing from our offense since Brandon Marshall left. The reason for this is that he's more sudden than Robby is. Robby is blazing fast and has elite tracking ability, but he's not "sudden". 

Again, Robby's the better receiver. He's the safer receiver. He's elite in the deep passing game. But Robby really doesn't do much of anything at the LOS and in the short passing game, whereas Perriman was able to separate with both speed and physicality at the LOS. Robby had lots of trouble "attacking" the football at the top of his routes (we've famously seen it result in INTs with RA), whereas I saw Perriman routinely attack the ball in his highlights and clips from last year and in Cleveland. 

In a non-route running note, Perriman also has shown an ability to high-point the football in ways that Robby can only dream about. 

 

Again I want to make it clear that I don't think Perriman is better. I really liked Robby and would've paid to keep him here. I think he was a perfect complement to Crowder/Herndon/Bell and the incoming Z we should find in the draft. I thought continuity with Darnold was very important - so important that it was worth going over that $10 million number on a shorter-term deal. But as it relates to Gase's offense, I think Perriman will allow us to do more since he's more natural working underneath and over the middle in the short-passing game. Doesn't make him a better player, but a better fit. 

Edited by jetskid007

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Perriman as a piece on our offense, not a #1 or even #2. I think we get our #1 in this WR rich draft. 

But I liked how Perriman caught contested grabs and played like a stud to finish. If he stays healthy he has talent.  You can say Perriman benefited from a pass heavy, lots of the throws I saw Winston throwing to him were bad throws where Perriman made adjustments and made contested grabs bailing him out. 

We need to draft a WR by round 2 at the very latest.  I think its very possible for Perriman to get 600-700 yards again.  

I honestly don't see much difference between Perriman and Anderson. The draft is where we can see a upgrade in this group. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

3-5 years ago yes, but he's become more lean and with that less "stiff" as his college tape showed him to be. His list weight is probably 10-12 lb. more than his playing weight. He was a raw, mechanical, freak athlete (think Stephen Hill) when he came out. His college playing weight was in the 220s, and he reported to the combine at 212. He's listed at 215, but I'm thinking he played at around 200-2005 in 2019. Injuries prevented him from getting the necessary practice reps to hone his skills, but I see someone who has improved his route running and catching technique over the past few years. Video incoming later today... I'm going to try out free NFL Game Pass All-22 and see if I can put together a video detailing the kind of routes he can run short/intermediate that Robby hasn't - one of them is the quick slant, which has been missing from our offense since Brandon Marshall left. The reason for this is that he's more sudden than Robby is. Robby is blazing fast and has elite tracking ability, but he's not "sudden". 

Again, Robby's the better receiver. He's the safer receiver. He's elite in the deep passing game. But Robby really doesn't do much of anything at the LOS and in the short passing game, whereas Perriman was able to separate with both speed and physicality at the LOS. Robby had lots of trouble "attacking" the football at the top of his routes (we've famously seen it result in INTs with RA), whereas I saw Perriman routinely attack the ball in his highlights and clips from last year and in Cleveland. 

In a non-route running note, Perriman also has shown an ability to high-point the football in ways that Robby can only dream about. 

 

Again I want to make it clear that I don't think Perriman is better. I really liked Robby and would've paid to keep him here. I think he was a perfect complement to Crowder/Herndon/Bell and the incoming Z we should find in the draft. I thought continuity with Darnold was very important - so important that it was worth going over that $10 million number on a shorter-term deal. But as it relates to Gase's offense, I think Perriman will allow us to do more since he's more natural working underneath and over the middle in the short-passing game. Doesn't make him a better player, but a better fit. 

Looking forward to the video because as of now I just don't see it. In fairness, it's not like I've paid much attention to his game over the past few years so my sample size is admittedly limited. With that being said, the guy I see on tape is still a stop-and-go restricted route runner. He's coming off a season where he finished with 17.9 YPR good for 5th in the league while playing the most prolific downfield passing attack. That doesn't exactly convince me of his abilities to excel in a short to intermediate passing scheme. I think if Gase can coach him up, the potential is there for him to win at the LOS and underneath because of his size/physicality like you alluded to but he has to learn how to do it on a consistent basis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

Image result for breshad perriman gif

Image result for breshad perriman gif

Image result for breshad perriman gif

Image result for breshad perriman gif

Breshad Perriman

Breshad Perriman

Breshad Perriman

Breshad Perriman

Breshad Perriman

 

A few clips I've found on Perriman and his progression as a receiver - specifically how he's improved his hand-eye coordination, focus, and catching fundamentals (these are not my own). A lot of these do a good job of showing how freakishly athletic he is/contested catch ability as well. Since these are mostly big plays, I'm going to try to focus on finding all the clips of him in the short passing game when I get a chance... he was really good on quick slants and crossers - picking up 5-15 yards routinely on those routes in the final 4 games of the season... trust me, I was paying close attention to him because he was a starter on my fantasy team down the stretch (helped me win the championship lol). As you can see in some of these, he has really good separation ability after the first 5-10 yards. 

Can't promise I will do it tonight, but will try to post some of my own snips by the end of the week

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/24/2020 at 7:25 PM, TheChad said:

^ I mean, yeah, hopefully we do something productive with it. Holding onto our top guys would be a solid choice.

Yeah that would be nice for a change. JD knows what he has to do.  He's no Mac.  And he'd be foolish not to at least listen to any trade offers, because you never know when a Herschel Walker or RIcky Williams draft type move will be made. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 3/24/2020 at 7:46 PM, rickyt31 said:

Decent signing. I honestly don't know if he'll be a solid starter, but the speed still helps with stretching the secondary though. 

And isn't this essentially the only thing that Robby did anyway?  Both players have speed.  Both players aren't known for their ability to win jump balls although I'm no expert on Perriman and earlier post says otherwise).  One has an injury history and has degraded from a first round pick to a journeyman.  Personally, I'd prefer Robby any day, but that's just me.  TBH, it isn't a big deal, because neither is what any of us really want as a long term #1 WR.  So many good WRs awaiting......   can't wait.  I am excited about moving on. 

Edited by dcat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 9:31 AM, Bobby816 said:

Trading for Cooks (which I guess "could" still happen) IMO would have been better. But yes you're right... there's wasnt a FA that would have changed my opinion at WR.

Cooks is dangerously close to becoming the new Jordan Reed. He's had one too many concussions already.  He is a big risk. I'll pass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 2:21 PM, jetskid007 said:

 

A few clips I've found on Perriman and his progression as a receiver - specifically how he's improved his hand-eye coordination, focus, and catching fundamentals (these are not my own). A lot of these do a good job of showing how freakishly athletic he is/contested catch ability as well. Since these are mostly big plays, I'm going to try to focus on finding all the clips of him in the short passing game when I get a chance... he was really good on quick slants and crossers - picking up 5-15 yards routinely on those routes in the final 4 games of the season... trust me, I was paying close attention to him because he was a starter on my fantasy team down the stretch (helped me win the championship lol). As you can see in some of these, he has really good separation ability after the first 5-10 yards. 

Can't promise I will do it tonight, but will try to post some of my own snips by the end of the week

 

awesome.  I'd give it a positive rep, but the site hasn't dropped my testes yet. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/25/2020 at 8:22 AM, KingOfTheDot said:

The thing is, was there any 1 move at WR that would have changed your outlook?

Because most of us still want to draft 2 receivers no matter what happened or happens.

I feel the same way, if we want Darnold to improve we must build a strong WR core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×