GDT 2017: Week 3 - Ravens @ Jags IN LONDON

drd23

On 9/21/2017 at 10:21 AM, coordinator0 said:

If the Jaguars are as committed to the run as the appear to have been thus far in the season then I'm not too worried about this game. Even if Williams is out. If there's one thing Pees does well with his defensive scheme it's putting up a strong front against the run. That's his schtick. With Pierce and Davis that's still a big one-two punch anchoring against the run. Wormley will probably be active and get some playing time too. Again, assuming Williams is out. 

When Jacksonville has to abandon the run and rely on Bortles... that's when the Ravens win. He's been bad. Which is a shame, I like Bortles and thought he had a chance of getting back to his 2016-16 form this season with less on his plate after Fournette was drafted. Doesn't look that way so far. With Baltimore's pass rush given clearance to tee off on Bortles when they have to pass it's over. In years past this is where you would say "but the secondary could still get torched regardless of the pass rush" but nope not now. There were some mistakes against the Browns, but nothing particularly worrying. 

I haven't felt overly confident in the Ravens very often the past few years, but in this case I do. The defense is going to have to put the offense in a position to succeed, again, because Jacksonville's defense can be pretty good, but they've shown the ability to do that the first two games. Jacksonville's offense isn't any better than Cincinnati's or Cleveland's so I would expect the defense to keep on the same pace they have been. Traveling to London might throw things off a bit, but I don't get the feeling that the Ravens are much of a rhythm team right now anyways. Certainly not offensively at least, and defense usually travels well. 

Ravens 17, Jaguars 6

Not to mention, the secondary looks VERY opportunistic with respect  to picking off QBs...

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

If T West is inactive, who's the better fantasy play?

Alex Collins

OR 

Gio Bernard

I think Buck Allen starts, but I still have Collins starting for me since I'm sure T. West isn't going to see meaningful snaps I don't think. Bengals phoning it in even though Gio is the better back at this point.

9 minutes ago, RavensfanRD said:

I think Buck Allen starts, but I still have Collins starting for me since I'm sure T. West isn't going to see meaningful snaps I don't think. Bengals phoning it in even though Gio is the better back at this point.

My one thought is that playing from behind against the Packers, the Bengals throw the ball.

Bernard is still fighting Mixon for reps though. I think the latter get utilized more and more as the season goes on, and he's a pretty dangerous player catching the ball out of the backfield too.

Not sure I would start Collins instead though. Jacksonville's defense is pretty solid and I think they can shut down the run if that's all the Ravens do if/when they get a lead. Allen will still be getting the looks in the passing game out of the backfield.

Kind of a rough situation to be in for fantasy. Don't there's a "right" option to go with, just whatever gamble you think will pay off more. 

13 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Bernard is still fighting Mixon for reps though. I think the latter get utilized more and more as the season goes on, and he's a pretty dangerous player catching the ball out of the backfield too.

Not sure I would start Collins instead though. Jacksonville's defense is pretty solid and I think they can shut down the run if that's all the Ravens do if/when they get a lead. Allen will still be getting the looks in the passing game out of the backfield.

Kind of a rough situation to be in for fantasy. Don't there's a "right" option to go with, just whatever gamble you think will pay off more. 

Yea.  My league is really deep 14-team keeper.  I am waiting on Martin coming back week 5 and trying to fill in until then.

37 minutes ago, sp6488 said:

Yea.  My league is really deep 14-team keeper.  I am waiting on Martin coming back week 5 and trying to fill in until then.

I feel your pain.  I'm in a 16-team dynasty league and it's really hard find viable fantasy starters at RB in leagues that are really deep.  But luckily for me there is no requirement to start any offensive skill position player in my league - we just have 5 Flex players.

Kinda random, but it seems that either a number of prominent former Ravens have taken this game as an opportunity to take a holiday to England and/or the team has listed them to make a big impression while the team is over there.

In less than 5 mins on twitter, I've seen photos of Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden, Ed Reed, Steve Smith & Dennis Pitta in London.

Oh, and a double-decker bus wrapped in a Ravens image with a big band playing on the top of it :D

@berlin calling or @Danand seen any of them (or the bus) in person?

Prediction: Ravens 20 - Jags 13. Flacco is 18-30 with 300 yards one TD, and one lost fumble which leads to the lone td fro the Jags.  Ravens finally get Wallace in the action and he goes 6 rec for 90 yards and a TD. Ravens D with 3 turnovers. 2 fumbes and a pick

4 hours ago, drd23 said:

Kinda random, but it seems that either a number of prominent former Ravens have taken this game as an opportunity to take a holiday to England and/or the team has listed them to make a big impression while the team is over there.

In less than 5 mins on twitter, I've seen photos of Ray Lewis, Jonathan Ogden, Ed Reed, Steve Smith & Dennis Pitta in London.

Oh, and a double-decker bus wrapped in a Ravens image with a big band playing on the top of it :D

@berlin calling or @Danand seen any of them (or the bus) in person?

Only caught a glimpse. I've mostly been at the Tent London design fair. But the ravens are winning this contest by shear numbers. Haven't seen a jaguars Jersey yet, but the purple jerseys are everywhere both downtown and out here near Earls Court

I saw the bus yesterday, as it went along Regent Street. Not seen any former players, but I'm with my girlfriend so yesterday was shopping and then the Lion King musical. Not very footbally.  Lots of people in Ravens jerseys to be seen, but I've not seen a single Jags one either. Few Pats and Steelers (as per usual in the UK).

Archived