Scoundrel

33 minutes ago, Counselor said:

We traded up with San Fran 

15 and 95

for

13 and 177

and picked

Jerry Jeudy WR Alabama

FWIW, as hotly debated as moving up is, this is an easy move to justify if you don't want DL and OT are all gone, and you're worried about what OAK will do. 

A late 3rd - 5th swap is a really small price to pay.   The diff in this draft between early 3rd and late 3rd is significant.   That's a price impossible to argue with. 

Thumbs up, no objection (not that it matters, but showing that the answer is more nuanced than yes/no).   If we stood pat and got say Andrew Thomas, I'd be OK with that - and if pushed, I wouldn't cry about Kinlaw.   But the price isn't a deal-breaker to get the guy/need you want here.    That's key. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, AKRNA said:

Personally the only OT I'd be considering is Thomas.

Have you seen Jedrick Wills yet, @AKRNA?

I hadn’t until today, but man he can play.  His feet, punch, and balance are excellent. I saw Thomas early in the college season, so it’s been awhile and I plan on watching him again tomorrow, but Wills is a terrific player.  Makes it look easy.  Rewatched Wirfs today (hadn’t seen him since the fall either) and was disappointed, he struggles quite a bit vs Michigan.  Needs coaching.  I’ll watch Becton tonight, haven’t seen him at all either. 

2 hours ago, germ-x said:

Have you seen Jedrick Wills yet, @AKRNA?

I hadn’t until today, but man he can play.  His feet, punch, and balance are excellent. I saw Thomas early in the college season, so it’s been awhile and I plan on watching him again tomorrow, but Wills is a terrific player.  Makes it look easy.  Rewatched Wirfs today (hadn’t seen him since the fall either) and was disappointed, he struggles quite a bit vs Michigan.  Needs coaching.  I’ll watch Becton tonight, haven’t seen him at all either. 

Not yet, still have one freight load to make before I can relax a bit. 

The other two you mentioned I've seen a bit of. Hard to imagine either at LT and thats a high draft spot for a RT/OG unless his names Nelson. 

57 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Not yet, still have one freight load to make before I can relax a bit. 

The other two you mentioned I've seen a bit of. Hard to imagine either at LT and thats a high draft spot for a RT/OG unless his names Nelson. 

Wills probably isn’t a LT either simply because he’s never played there, but he’s probably the closest to Nelson in this draft. He has no chance of being at Denver’s pick so there is really no point in watching him unless you just want too.  He has random lapses where he gets beat and he doesn’t consistently play through the whistle (which are the only 2 knocks). But 99% of the time he’s dominating his assignments.  He makes a reach block where he punches the DT who was head up on the guard and is able to completely front him and seal off the cut back lane.  One of the best blocks I’ve ever seen, to be honest with you.  He has exceptional explosion not only in his hips, but also in his hands.  When he doesn’t randomly give up an inside pass rush move, he makes pass pro look easy.  Quick feet, quick punch, varies his punch so DE’s can’t get the timing down to knock down his hands.  Exceptional balance, you never see him on the ground unless he’s cut blocking.  Terrific combo blocking and moving to the 2nd level.  

He’s the real deal.

15 hours ago, germ-x said:

Wills probably isn’t a LT either simply because he’s never played there, but he’s probably the closest to Nelson in this draft. He has no chance of being at Denver’s pick so there is really no point in watching him unless you just want too.  He has random lapses where he gets beat and he doesn’t consistently play through the whistle (which are the only 2 knocks). But 99% of the time he’s dominating his assignments.  He makes a reach block where he punches the DT who was head up on the guard and is able to completely front him and seal off the cut back lane.  One of the best blocks I’ve ever seen, to be honest with you.  He has exceptional explosion not only in his hips, but also in his hands.  When he doesn’t randomly give up an inside pass rush move, he makes pass pro look easy.  Quick feet, quick punch, varies his punch so DE’s can’t get the timing down to knock down his hands.  Exceptional balance, you never see him on the ground unless he’s cut blocking.  Terrific combo blocking and moving to the 2nd level.  

He’s the real deal.

Sounds like my issue with him then would be similar to the top OT's not named Thomas. Where do you put him this year?

Allbright has said there may be some mental processing issues with Wills. Not sure how reliable that intel is, but I doubt they’d want to go down that road again after Bolles. 

He also is much younger and has less experience. Bolles started for years and didn't improve his mental processing. I would be that Willis has a much better chance to pick up the game as he matures. 

3 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

He also is much younger and has less experience. Bolles started for years and didn't improve his mental processing. I would be that Willis has a much better chance to pick up the game as he matures. 

I don’t really know what mental processing entails in this case though. For Bolles, it wouldn’t matter how much he’s played, the mental side of the game would always be a struggle because of his disability. If Wills’ issues are in a similar vein, I’d be weary and I think the Broncos would be too.

23 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I don’t really know what mental processing entails in this case though. For Bolles, it wouldn’t matter how much he’s played, the mental side of the game would always be a struggle because of his disability. If Wills’ issues are in a similar vein, I’d be weary and I think the Broncos would be too.

Haven’t heard/read this.  From what he does on the field I don’t really see it.  In terms of technique he’s a stud, especially in pass pro.  Though, here is an interesting article from a former defensive lineman on Wills.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2020/3/6/21162231/nfl-draft-2020-jedrick-wills-jr-alabama-offensive-tackle-guard-film-highlights

I saw this in the two games I watched.  He absolutely dominates and then randomly gets beat with an inside move.  He was able to recover both times, but it’s out of nowhere.

The tackle they’ve seemed to show the most interest in is Boise State LT Ezra Cleveland. Getting a remote visit and reportedly used one of their 30 interviews on him at the Combine. He’s a gifted athlete for the tackle position but doesn’t look strong enough to play right away, so would be a 2020 stash. If he drops to 46 and they’ve gone WR somewhere in the teens, that’s a pick that makes sense. 

The tackle they’ve seemed to show the most interest in is Boise State LT Ezra Cleveland. Getting a remote visit and reportedly used one of their 30 interviews on him at the Combine. He’s a gifted athlete for the tackle position but doesn’t look strong enough to play right away, so would be a 2020 stash. If he drops to 46 and they’ve gone WR somewhere in the teens, that’s a pick that makes sense. 

I am very wary on Ezra. You can coach up athletic traits, but its much harder to coach toughness and he really doesn't play with any sort of chip on his shoulder. He has special athletic traits though, just not sure he stands out amongst the other developmental OT's to take in R2. In R3, sure if that's the guy Munch wants. 

Ben Bartch has a similar athletic profile but plays much tougher IMO. And he has OG potential where Ezra is a dancing bear zone LT or a bust. 

1 minute ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I am very wary on Ezra. You can coach up athletic traits, but its much harder to coach toughness and he really doesn't play with any sort of chip on his shoulder. He has special athletic traits though, just not sure he stands out amongst the other developmental OT's to take in R2. In R3, sure if that's the guy Munch wants. 

Ben Bartch has a similar athletic profile but plays much tougher IMO. And he has OG potential where Ezra is a dancing bear zone LT or a bust. 

Bartch looks like he’s gonna be really good, too bad his level of competition was so laughably overmatched although it makes for some fun tape. With those sub-33 inch arms I think he’s destined to be moved inside. 

Bartch looks like he’s gonna be really good, too bad his level of competition was so laughably overmatched although it makes for some fun tape. With those sub-33 inch arms I think he’s destined to be moved inside. 

Ya, but I think he is going to be a stud inside. At OG he is a Forrest Lamp level prospect IMO. (Sad how Lamp's career has gone, so many injuries)

38 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Cleveland kind of reminds me of Brian O'Neill from a couple of years ago for some reason, to be honest.