FFMD ll 20’ - Denver Broncos Front Office

Scoundrel

56 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The tackle they’ve seemed to show the most interest in is Boise State LT Ezra Cleveland. Getting a remote visit and reportedly used one of their 30 interviews on him at the Combine. He’s a gifted athlete for the tackle position but doesn’t look strong enough to play right away, so would be a 2020 stash. If he drops to 46 and they’ve gone WR somewhere in the teens, that’s a pick that makes sense. 

That would make sense. It's the 2nd tier of OT's I think they're looking at. We don't need a starter there this year but we do need help and depth at OT. 

Also, if they're not sold on Schlottman or Morris as a starting center Hennesey could probably be had in the 3rd/4th. There's your center for the next decade.

3 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

The tackle they’ve seemed to show the most interest in is Boise State LT Ezra Cleveland. Getting a remote visit and reportedly used one of their 30 interviews on him at the Combine. He’s a gifted athlete for the tackle position but doesn’t look strong enough to play right away, so would be a 2020 stash. If he drops to 46 and they’ve gone WR somewhere in the teens, that’s a pick that makes sense. 

I like Erza. My fear with him that he is a little bit of a project. Not comparing him to Ty Sambralio, but I'm afraid he becomes Sambrailo 2.0.

Since the team doesn't plan to start a rookie over Bolles or James this season and the 2021 class of OTs is pretty stacked. I would rather focused 46 in players that could help now and take an development OT later

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BowserBroncos said:

I like Erza. My fear with him that he is a little bit of a project. Not comparing him to Ty Sambralio, but I'm afraid he becomes Sambrailo 2.0.

Since the team doesn't plan to start a rookie over Bolles or James this season and the 2021 class of OTs is pretty stacked. I would rather focused 46 in players that could help now and take an development OT later

By the time you are drafting in Rd3+, unless it's a RB - they're pretty much all developmental tier players, or guys so limited ceiling wise, it's why they've fallen.   

Thinking to get help now is how drafts fail.   On the flip side, by the time 2021 rolls around, more needs show up with player decline / expiring contracts - so the "take talented guys" approach even if there isn't an immediate need - serves teams well in Year 2+, as the needs change (the only exception being if you have a franchise QB, then it's an iffy investment at least with high-value assets to double-dip).   

Sure, you get the odd gem who just comes out of nowhere from Rd3+ (but even those are usually in positions you can predict, like RB, ILB, etc.), but most draft "hits" in that range don't make much of an impact year 1.   Year 2+, though....

Edited by Broncofan

5 hours ago, Broncofan said:

By the time you are drafting in Rd3+, unless it's a RB - they're pretty much all developmental tier players, or guys so limited ceiling wise, it's why they've fallen.   

Thinking to get help now is how drafts fail.   On the flip side, by the time 2021 rolls around, more needs show up with player decline / expiring contracts - so the "take talented guys" approach even if there isn't an immediate need - serves teams well in Year 2+, as the needs change (the only exception being if you have a franchise QB, then it's an iffy investment at least with high-value assets to double-dip).   

Sure, you get the odd gem who just comes out of nowhere from Rd3+ (but even those are usually in positions you can predict, like RB, ILB, etc.), but most draft "hits" in that range don't make much of an impact year 1.   Year 2+, though....

Ezra and Cesar Ruiz went off the board before the 40th pick. I'm definitely not taking an OL at 46 now.

I have one guy that I think will find on everything you said and also is a guy I expect to help now. If he's there he is the guy I want to take ar 46.

However, Buffalo showed interest on trading up to 46 from 54. I'm negotiating a deal, if the board doesn't help, I might trade down.

8 hours ago, BowserBroncos said:

Ezra and Cesar Ruiz went off the board before the 40th pick. I'm definitely not taking an OL at 46 now.

I have one guy that I think will find on everything you said and also is a guy I expect to help now. If he's there he is the guy I want to take ar 46.

However, Buffalo showed interest on trading up to 46 from 54. I'm negotiating a deal, if the board doesn't help, I might trade down.

Honestly, go with the best talent at 2.46.   Don't worry about need unless it's a near-deadlock, then it's fine to factor need.   My comment wasn't based on 1 guy, more the applied concept.   Later on, the gaps won't matter as much, where need is OK to factor more heavily, but this early, it's still too soon to go need as the primary decider.

Talent depth matters, too.   If you pass on OL and can get a similar talent a round later, sure, why not.    Just the comment about worrying about guys who help now vs. later is one that leads teams to pass on better talents vs. need.   That rarely ends well.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

On 4/3/2020 at 8:18 PM, germ-x said:

Have you seen Jedrick Wills yet, @AKRNA?

I hadn’t until today, but man he can play.  His feet, punch, and balance are excellent. I saw Thomas early in the college season, so it’s been awhile and I plan on watching him again tomorrow, but Wills is a terrific player.  Makes it look easy.  Rewatched Wirfs today (hadn’t seen him since the fall either) and was disappointed, he struggles quite a bit vs Michigan.  Needs coaching.  I’ll watch Becton tonight, haven’t seen him at all either. 

I watched Wirfs live at the Michigan game.  Spent most of the game watching only him.  Gotta say, I was underwhelmed.  Just one game of course. He was good, but not great.  His athleticism certainly shines through - he has great movement and fluidity.  But just didn’t show the power nor aggressiveness I would want out of a top pick.  I want my OL tough, smart, and athletic.  Usually in that order.  Not convinced of the “toughness” part with Wirfs. 

1 hour ago, BowserBroncos said:

Give your thought on guys we should draft now in the 3rd round? I'm thinking CBs and IOLs with ILB, WRs and possibly DLs as fallback options.

It depends on how deep the talent pools are and if someone who shouldn't have fallen that far is there.

For example, even if you think CB is the highest need, or IOL, if there's a 78-80-grade WR, you pop that if the rest of the CB/IOL's are 72-73 type guys.     I get it, CB is thin - but that's what the post-draft signings like Prince Amukumura is for.     Likewise, the ILB's usually fall.    Think long-term draft-wise, 2020 help isn't where this tier usually helps (unless it's a RB).     Heck, I'd start thinking RB now for 2021+ roster planning if an elite RB has made it this far - and by late Rd3, that's where I'd pound the table IRL given the amazing talent this year offer (but not best RB, if one of the 6-7 elite ceiling RB's make it there).

I can't help regularly as I'm literally doing 12-16 hour days for work (ugh), but I sent a PM to keep the info stream private.   Back at it after 10 AM ET today...good luck!

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

It depends on how deep the talent pools are and if someone who shouldn't have fallen that far is there.

For example, even if you think CB is the highest need, or IOL, if there's a 78-80-grade WR, you pop that if the rest of the CB/IOL's are 72-73 type guys.     I get it, CB is thin - but that's what the post-draft signings like Prince Amukumura is for.     Likewise, the ILB's usually fall.    Think long-term draft-wise, 2020 help isn't where this tier usually helps (unless it's a RB).     Heck, I'd start thinking RB now for 2021+ roster planning if an elite RB has made it this far - and by late Rd3, that's where I'd pound the table IRL given the amazing talent this year offer (but not best RB, if one of the 6-7 elite ceiling RB's make it there).

I can't help regularly as I'm literally doing 12-16 hour days for work (ugh), but I sent a PM to keep the info stream private.   Back at it after 10 AM ET today...good luck!

Thanks. I will think about this.