• Dante Pettis
  • Pick 99

Cowboys trade

• Pick 51
  • Pick 82
  • Pick 123
  • DE Joe Jackson
  • CB Maurice Canady

It's really hard to trade back from where we were, but we really wanted to, in all honesty. So yes, the return seems like with no 3rd round pick officially coming back. But I'm not joking when I say that every team between pick 21 and 33 tried to move down, so this was a big process. 

After drafting Ruggs, we started putting out feelers on Pettis. Not a ton of love; Philly had some interest in flipping him for one of the corners, then they traded Sydney Jones for Haassan Reddick instead. I couldn't even get Green Bay to take him for Josh "I was a healthy scratch for like 9 games last year" Jackson. Just no real market. Cleveland said no to a Njoku swap. The Chargers had nothing with regards to moving a disappointing prospect of their own. With a receiving group of Deebo / Ruggs / Hurd / Taylor / Bourne (Goodwin is also still on the roster, not to mention James), we simply didn't see a spot for him to make an impact. So I look at this trade as moving Pettis for Jackson. Jackson was a well liked prospect for his upside last year, but he was super raw. Didn't play much, as expected, so it's mostly still untapped potential. But I think that's a good risk for someone like Pettis. 

The trade of 31 & 99 for 51 / 82 / 123 / Canady was similar to a deal between the Colts and Eagles. The Colts got 53 and 103, along with Alshon (which is almost a net negative given the contract and the fact that his base salary is guaranteed) for 34. We get a comparable pick package + Canady, who is okay corner depth to replace the recently departed E-man. 

It's not perfect, but we did what we could to get what we truly wanted, which was to move down. So basically, we started with

13, 31, 157, 177, 211, 218, 246, Pettis + Moseley 

We now have

15, 51, 82, 95, 123, 157, 211, 218, 246, Jackson + Cannady

If anyone was curious, the picks are slightly higher in value now (1807.8 on the old trade chart with updated draft picks at 1826.6, and 551 points on the rich hill version for our original picks, updated to 560). 

Obviously Moseley's loss wasn't ideal, but that wasn't something we took lightly and felt good about our stance there after the fact. I'm sure some people would have preferred not to give up on Pettis, but at the same time, Jackson has only played a year and a lot of people liked him last season, so we will see what shakes out. Pettis was likely not going to get better here. 

• Like 3

1. Jordan Love
  2. Brandon Aiyuk
  3. Tee Higgins
  4. Jaylon Johnson
  5. AJ Terrell
  6. CHE
  7. Laviska Shenault
  8. Jonathan Taylor
  9. Grant Delpit
  10. JK Dobbins
  11. Cole Kmet
  12. Jeremy Chinn
  13. Cushenberry
  14. Netane Muti
  15. Neville Gallimore
  16. Michael Pittman
  17. Cameron Dantzler
  18. Ashtyn Davis
  19. Adam Trautman
  20. Cam Akers
  21. Chase Claypool
  22. Prince Tega Wanogho
  23. Julian Akwara
  24. Kyle Dugger
  25. Shane Lemieux
  26. KJ Hamler

Houston kicks off the day with Tee Higgins. Kind of shocked, thought for sure that they were going to trade out of that pick. Makes sense that they would keep it if Higgins was the target though. NO way he was going to last 8 more picks. Too many people looking to trade up for receiver. 

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Ruiz is gone. 

But I'm assuming the team is comfortable moving forward with Richburg given that they restructured his deal. That was one of the reasons he would have been one of the last players I would have done that with though. I don't think the team is planning on playing this season without Richburg in the middle, so I don't think that center as a specific position will be a priority add 

Did they restructure before or after his injury? I remember it happened towards the end of the season around the same time as Kwon's restructure right? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Did they restructure before or after his injury? I remember it happened towards the end of the season around the same time as Kwon's restructure right? 

After. They restructured him at the end of December, I think. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:
  1. Jordan Love
  2. Brandon Aiyuk
  3. Tee Higgins
  4. Jaylon Johnson
  5. AJ Terrell
  6. CHE
  7. Laviska Shenault
  8. Jonathan Taylor
  9. Grant Delpit
  10. JK Dobbins
  11. Cole Kmet
  12. Jeremy Chinn
  13. Cushenberry
  14. Netane Muti
  15. Neville Gallimore
  16. Michael Pittman
  17. Cameron Dantzler
  18. Ashtyn Davis
  19. Adam Trautman
  20. Cam Akers
  21. Chase Claypool
  22. Prince Tega Wanogho
  23. Julian Akwara
  24. Kyle Dugger
  25. Shane Lemieux
  26. KJ Hamler

I like these guys if still available.

With the 47th pick in the 2020 NFL Draft,

The San Francisco 49ers proudly select:

BREAKING: Jaylon Johnson declares for 2020 NFL draft

Jaylon Johnson, CB, Utah

Had to do some managing after Terrell and Gallimore where picked just before. Ended up trading a fifth and Matt Breida to jump up 5 spots to take our favourite CB left on the board. Don't see Shanahan ever spending a high pick on a G and not really in a spot where any OT really fits the value. D-line we feel pretty comfortable at for later in the draft so that pretty much left CB.

@N4L and @Justone2 know how high I was on this pick. Out of the guys that were feasible for us to select, Johnson and Terrell were by far and away the best two from a value perspective, as I could see either of them be picked at 31 in real life and I wouldn't be upset about it. After those two guys, it was a big drop off in players. The loss of Breida sucks, we all love him, but he clearly went into the doghouse at the end of last year, nad frankly, at 3 million + in salary, that part has lost its allure and I wouldn't be at all shocked if he got moved in a similar trade during the draft. 

To get Johnson here, I'm just a big, big fan. He was my number one rated corner left on the board (even above Terrell, though I agree with both N4L, and @J-ALL-DAY, who I polled for an opinion, that Terrell may be a better fit for the specific scheme). But Terrell went a couple of picks earlier, so we lost that option. 

• Like 2