FFMD II '20 - New Orleans Saints Front Office

ny92mike

14 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Linebacker. We've got Demario Davis, and other than him, everyone else is replaceable. I like Anzalone, but he's injury prone. Alonzo is alright, but isn't anything to write home about. Same with Craig Roberson, and he's getting up there a bit (32 yrs old).

Running Back. We only have 2 in Kamara and Murray. If either goes down, like last season, we're hosed. And Dwayne Washington is not "the" answer.

Quarterback. Brees is old, so we need a successor and a serviceable backup. Taysom Hill is good as a gadget player, but we have no idea what kind of QB he really is, other than what we've seen of his 13 passes over the last 3 seasons.

I was thinking interior O-Line as well, but I'll let someone else chime in there. To me, the interior seems somewhat weak.

I think the FO is happy with the Interior OL after resigning Peat to a massive overpay, but they probably think it was just injuries that caused issues there.

I think the priority should probably be Linebacker as really outside of Davis and the oft-injured Anzalone no one is starter quality and with Anzalone always hurt we lack a quality 2nd LBer to put on the field as we are normally in nickel/dime anyways due to the conference.  I would put a priority on a coverage linebacker over a run defender as well.

RB I think is less of a priority but a definite need as like you said if Kamara or Murray goes down we are hosed so getting someone like JK Dobbins, Jonathon Taylor, or Cam Akers in the 3rd would be good value and possibly be able to phase out Murray long term.

QB is a big question mark and I really think Payton is honest about his love for Hill.  I don't see it but I don't see him not giving it a try.  Maybe a QB in the later rounds to be a back-up so Hill's versatility can be used.

I think WR/TE might still be a need.  Outside of Thomas everyone is aging or hasn't really stepped up.  A guy I like is KJ Hill who although had a poor run time at the combine showed good route running ability and with how deep this WR class is could be had in the very late rounds.  Though if one of the top guys were to start to fall and there isn't one of the top 3 or so LBers available, taking one of them in the 1st isn't a bad idea.  At TE we only have Jared Cook who although started picking up his production is getting up there in age and having a 2nd pass catching TE is never a bad idea but a very low priority.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Raves said:

QB is a big question mark and I really think Payton is honest about his love for Hill.  I don't see it but I don't see him not giving it a try.  Maybe a QB in the later rounds to be a back-up so Hill's versatility can be used.

We haven't seen Payton draft a QB since 2015, about the same time there was some potential uncertainty in the future of Brees.
So we're back to the same(ish) situation. Frankly, I'd love to see Jake Fromm with our #88. I like pretty much everything about this guy, and I think he'll be a long term guy vs. some of these pass & scramble & take a lot of hits type guys.

4 hours ago, Raves said:

I think WR/TE might still be a need.  Outside of Thomas everyone is aging or hasn't really stepped up.  A guy I like is KJ Hill who although had a poor run time at the combine showed good route running ability and with how deep this WR class is could be had in the very late rounds.  Though if one of the top guys were to start to fall and there isn't one of the top 3 or so LBers available, taking one of them in the 1st isn't a bad idea.  At TE we only have Jared Cook who although started picking up his production is getting up there in age and having a 2nd pass catching TE is never a bad idea but a very low priority.

I was thinking about TE, too. I like Cook, and Hill has been serviceable, and obviously knows the team. Then what? 
WR, I was looking through that and we have MT, Sanders, and a bunch of tall guys who are basically anonymous. I would like to see what could become of Harris. He's small and rabbit like. Reminds me of Darren Sproles, but I'd like to see if he could be that little guy that gets lost in the middle, and can out maneuver the big CB's.

As you said, the draft is deep at WR, and I haven't looked into the TE class yet. 

• Like 1

The TE class isn't very impressive. Lots of guys who might hang around in the league but nobody who stands out.

Saints have received a trade offer that I'm leaning toward accepting. We'll be on the clock about noon tomorrow but have an offer for an early 2nd round pick plus a 3rd and 5th. Given the general lack of picks, this seems reasonable. It follows the draft pick value chart. 

Edit: the trade offer was from the Lions but they made another deal with their early 2nd rounder. So we're back to being on the clock at 12:40 Eastern time tomorrow. 

Edited by sparky151

1 hour ago, sparky151 said:

The TE class isn't very impressive. Lots of guys who might hang around in the league but nobody who stands out.

Saints have received a trade offer that I'm leaning toward accepting. We'll be on the clock about noon tomorrow but have an offer for an early 2nd round pick plus a 3rd and 5th. Given the general lack of picks, this seems reasonable. It follows the draft pick value chart. 

Edit: the trade offer was from the Lions but they made another deal with their early 2nd rounder. So we're back to being on the clock at 12:40 Eastern time tomorrow. 

You want pick 21. I can feel it in my bones

1 minute ago, sparky151 said:

Pick 24 is on the clock in a few minutes. Pats haven't made their choice yet at 23. 

Kenneth Murray, Pat Queen, Zach Baun are top available LBs. Any preference among them? Or another player?

Queen was the selection at 23, just fyi. 

Neutral observer? I love Murray. Checks all the boxes athletically, and rumor is that everyone loves him personally. Great interviews, leader, knocked everything out of the park on that stuff. 

To keep this realistic, Peat is untradeable at this point, given the cap acceleration. I know we don't use cap in this mock but it couldn't happen in real life so I won't do it here.

I guess Warford could be had but it would cost your early 3rd round pick.

47 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

To keep this realistic, Peat is untradeable at this point, given the cap acceleration. I know we don't use cap in this mock but it couldn't happen in real life so I won't do it here.

I guess Warford could be had but it would cost your early 3rd round pick.

I was thinking McCoy honestly.

3 hours ago, sparky151 said:

McCoy plays center for Saints. Not really interested in moving him. He's a good player on a rookie contract.

Not to mention he's worth at least a 1st based on his play this past season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sparky151 said:

McCoy plays center for Saints. Not really interested in moving him. He's a good player on a rookie contract.

Yeah, McCoy's not going anywhere. He was a super solid rookie, and that's that.
Our guard position isn't viable to trade away. We only have 1 backup, if I'm not mistaken.