FFMD II '20 - Baltimore Ravens Front Office - Draft completed!

ny92mike

37 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Do you guys remember everyone being excited about how great the 2014 WR draft was and that we could find a guy in any  round? Remember walking away with just Michael Campanaro in the 7th round.

Pepperidge farm remembers

Lol. Yeah it's a good thing to keep in context. A great WR draft meaning we can get a 1st round caliber talent in the 2nd round is a huge deal, and I think that should be the goal really - to come out of our 1st 3 picks having picked at least one of Mims, Jefferson, Higgins, Aiyuk, or Hamler. Not as big on Reagor or Shenault but that's just personal preference so really the same principle probably holds for them too. I'd even understand Pittman/Claypool/Edwards in the late 3rd as our biggest swing at WR but wouldn't be particularly excited by it. 

But taking a good WR draft to be like, "Oh cool I can get a 3rd or 4th round caliber WR in the 5th!"? I just think that's a waste considering what we're chasing right now. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

55 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Gentleman. 

We've welcomed a new Star among the offense. 

Sammy Watkins is now officially a Baltimore Raven. 

We gave up a 3rd Round Pick (#106)

We swapped 2nds with Kansas City. We gave our #55 for  their #63. 

Thoughts on the deal? 

How does the mock take into account his recent renegotiation (which includes a NTC)? Assume everything was frozen at a point in time?

I like the player fit, but I'm not sure if the salary fits here. Might be a slight overpay in terms of draft capital.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sp6488 said:

How does the mock take into account his recent renegotiation (which includes a NTC)? Assume everything was frozen at a point in time?

I like the player fit, but I'm not sure if the salary fits here. Might be a slight overpay in terms of draft capital.

No salary cap this year. I'd say giving up a late 3rd and 8 spots in the 2nd for a 26 year old dynamic playmaker is great value. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Watkins makes sense if you don't take salary cap implications into account at all

19 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

No salary cap this year. I'd say giving up a late 3rd and 8 spots in the 2nd for a 26 year old dynamic playmaker is great value. 

Agree with @drd23 the cap part of it would make it a bad deal. Absent financial considerations, yea, it makes way more sense

1 minute ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

I’m a little surprised that they would make that trade given they don’t have to worry about the salary cap. Though I don’t think he’s a great player, he does have moments where he makes good plays. Hopefully he can be a little more consistent here!

KC only had 5 picks. Think he wanted to be more active in the draft. Without cap implications, it was a no brainer to me. Although there was a part of me that wanted to keep it realistic. I just couldn't pass up on Sammy. Skill wise, he's a great fit for us. 

Edited by baltimoreRebel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Boodgyman5220 said:

I’m a little surprised that they would make that trade given they don’t have to worry about the salary cap. Though I don’t think he’s a great player, he does have moments where he makes good plays. Hopefully he can be a little more consistent here!

FFMD tended to result in more trades than you'd see irl because certain GMs/teams just want to make trades for something to do and/or gain extra picks so that they can be more involved.

FFMD2 and its lack of salary cap also brings into play that some people will act like the salary cap implications still matter when they make trades, while others won't.  That disconnect can lead to a trade like this

• Like 1