GDT Week 3: (2-0) Denver @ (1-1) Buffalo

Trentwannabe

3 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

Huge win for you guys last Sunday. I won't sleep on the Bills again, that's for sure.

I never heard of Sean McDermott before you guys hired him, but this has piqued my interest. What do you guys think of him so far, and how would you say his coaching compares to Rex Ryan's?

I think people were excited by his hire and everything he has done in the regular season has been extremely promising. His defense has completely turned around from last season and most of the players that were acquired in free agency or trade seem to really fit into what he is trying to do, particularly on defense. 

In terms of comparing him to Rex he's basically the complete opposite in every possible way. He is pretty soft spoken and I haven't really seen him lose it during a game. His defense is also the polar opposite, he's a 4-3 guy with zone corners whereas Rex was 3-4 with man corners. The defensive line play and the secondary have really improved since the disaster it was under Rex, our run defense looks good and our secondary has been a real strength which, considering it was a weakness last season, is a pretty stunning turn around. EJ Gaines in particular has been about as good as you can get so far this year. 

Basically McDermott (and Beane) seems to has a plan and has shown a real talent at identifying guys who fit what he wants to do whereas Rex seemed to have no real direction. The team seems more disciplined and energized under McDermott and honestly that is really what most Bills fans wanted to see, we might not be the most talented team in the league but at least we won't be losing because we don't have enough men on the field in over time or because our defense cannot execute. 

My thoughts/observations of this team so far:

-Stephen Hauschka was HUGE in that win yesterday. Nailing (2) 50+ yarders to keep points on the board for us.

-This secondary and defense is legit. 0 passing touchdowns so far and the lowest PPG allowed of any defense. Our secondary is better than it was last year and that's with it totally remade (Poyer, Hyde, Gaines, White). If they keep playing like this and our front 4 keep up the work + Dareus returning.. this could be a top 3-5 defense this year.

-McDermott is the real deal. He fixed this defense so far through 3 weeks and I really like the way he carries himself. He goes to battle with his players every week and you can tell they love playing for him. It's awesome watching him run up and down the sideline like a mad man cheering on his players. I remember an interview he gave where he said the key to having a good organization is closing the gap between players and coaches. they are all in this together.

-Tyrod Taylor looks like he made strides passing in the pocket. Rick Dennison is allowing Tyrod to do more play action and shot gun plays, instead of doing the 3 step drop that I've never liked Tyrod succeeding in.

-Teams will continue to stack the box against Shady until we show we can beat them in the air. Next week I'm expecting a big bounce back week for Shady. We also just played 2 of the best defenses in the nfl.

-Our WR core gets the job done but isn't great. I would be ecstatic if we still had Sammy. It gave us a whole different feel on offense and he balled out last week with the Rams. But we also wouldn't have Gaines (whose played great) or a 2nd round pick.  

-Run blocking has taken a step back. I don't blame Shady at all. His legs are getting hit before he evens makes it back to the LOS.

-We're a Zay Jones catch away from being 3-0

@LeeEvans @The BILLievers

Great to hear! I appreciate the insightful explanations. I was against them hiring Ryan from the start and it's a relief to see your team is headed in the right direction again. I thought rebuilding Buffalo was going to be a lengthy project, but McDermott has had promising results in just three games. I hope they keep it up because I've always liked Tyrod Taylor in particular; he gets a lot of flak on this board, but I believe the team can succeed with him.

Best of luck against the Falcons on the road; I'll be rooting for you guys to pull off the upset.

Everytime I watch Tyrod, he impresses me. Im on the west coast so I don't get to see him often but man what he did this sunday against that defense, without a running game was mighty impressive. The only really bad throw I can remember was the one he missed rolling out to Zay Jones, and even then, he had a free rusher in his face. 

I know Buffalo is pretty intent on getting a young QB in next years draft to build around, but man if Tyrod keeps playing good like this, he is great trade bait. 

13 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Everytime I watch Tyrod, he impresses me. Im on the west coast so I don't get to see him often but man what he did this sunday against that defense, without a running game was mighty impressive. The only really bad throw I can remember was the one he missed rolling out to Zay Jones, and even then, he had a free rusher in his face. 

I know Buffalo is pretty intent on getting a young QB in next years draft to build around, but man if Tyrod keeps playing good like this, he is great trade bait. 

I'm extremely torn on Tyrod. It's literally game to game. Last week he was great, but I still can't get that Raiders game from last season out of my head. That 2nd half was probably the worst I've ever seen a QB look.

I still don't think we give him enough freedom to throw the ball and make audibles. So I'm not sure if that's him or the coaching. 

1 hour ago, bigbadbuff23835 said:

I'm extremely torn on Tyrod. It's literally game to game. Last week he was great, but I still can't get that Raiders game from last season out of my head. That 2nd half was probably the worst I've ever seen a QB look.

I still don't think we give him enough freedom to throw the ball and make audibles. So I'm not sure if that's him or the coaching. 

Or, you know, week two against Carolina. I'm intrigued by his improved ability in the pocket, if he can continue on that he might be starting QB material either here or on another team. At the moment though I don't think he's good enough to get a team to the playoffs without major help from his defense. I said it earlier in the thread but even though he had a really impressive game we still barely won and needed a huge performance from Hauschka and our defense. Denver obviously has a great defense but we still haven't really seen him take over a game and win it on his own or even too many glimpses that he has the potential. I like Tyrod and don't think we should run him out of town but he's still got a way to go to being a QB that we should grow around. 

2 hours ago, LeeEvans said:

Or, you know, week two against Carolina. I'm intrigued by his improved ability in the pocket, if he can continue on that he might be starting QB material either here or on another team. At the moment though I don't think he's good enough to get a team to the playoffs without major help from his defense. I said it earlier in the thread but even though he had a really impressive game we still barely won and needed a huge performance from Hauschka and our defense. Denver obviously has a great defense but we still haven't really seen him take over a game and win it on his own or even too many glimpses that he has the potential. I like Tyrod and don't think we should run him out of town but he's still got a way to go to being a QB that we should grow around. 

Yep. I just don't know why we don't just give him free reigns and see what he can do. Let him throw the ball all over the field for a half or something. lol 

Archived