Post Free Agency Mock Draft

WindyCity

2[43] OG Lloyd Cushenberry [LSU] 6'3" 312lbs, 34" arms, 5.27, 25 reps

The Bears desperately need a starting RG that comes out of the box ready to play as the offseason is going to be shortened. Cushenberry has 28 college starts in the toughest division of college football and should be able to step in and start early as a rookie. Cushenberry has mostly played C, but by moving to RG you take a lot of pre snap stuff off his plate and should make his job easier. The Bears also need to get more athletic on the OL as the struggled to get to the 2nd level in the run game and they were a horrendous screen team. Cushenberry has the physical tools to be a dominant interior player and should give the Bears a massive talent boost on the OL.

9433306.jpg

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] [400] to the Seattle Seahawks for 2[64], 3[101], 4[144] [400]. The Bears desperately need to add picks and depth at key positions. They need long term options at a bunch of positions that require better than pick 163.

2[64] OT Matt Peart [UConn] 6'7" 318lbs, 36.5" arms, 5.06 [40], 26 reps, 30" vert

The Bears OTs are over paid and were massively disappointing in 2019 and they need to get some competition and someone who can replace one of them in 2021 when the Bears can save significant money by cutting either Leno or Massie. Peart is a raw prospect, but he has incredible physical tools and experience at both OT spots. He comes in and develops and when he is ready, or if Leno and Massie struggle he takes over. Peart has the athleticism that Massie lacks and the size that Leno lacks.

3[101] QB James Morgan [Florida International] 6'4" 229lbs.

The Bears should take a developmental QB if they are able to trade down and add more picks. Morgan has been one they have been linked to and he is an intriguing player. He has protoype size and arm strength, has experience in the spread [Bowling Green] and in a more pro style offense [Florida International]. This gives the Bears a potential backup to Foles in 2021, or someone to compete for the job if Foles and 10 are being replaced after this season. Morgan has just steadily rose in the draft and the Bears may have to pounce before day 3. Morgan gets a full year with Nagy, Lazor and Flip to develop so the Bears have something for 2021.

8671498.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offs

4[144] TE Stephen Sullivan [LSU] 6'5" 248lbs, 4.66 [40], 36.5" vert, 10'3" broad

Graham and Burton are not going to be on the roster after 2020, they are not good enough and they would save the Bears a ton. Sullivan is a super raw converted WR, but he has all the physical tools and profile the Bears need at the TE spot. He flashed at the Senior Bowl and has a ton of tools to work with. The Bears can bring him along slowly in 2020 and have a legitimate option in 2021 to challenge for the #1 role. In 2020 he provides depth and someone who can be used situationally until he is ready.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcTNMMicGsYTo0DF4oaT8

5[163] S J.R Reed [Georgia] 6'1" 202lbs, 4.54 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'10" broad

The Bear are taking a volume approach to the safety position and they should continue to add to the spot and give themselves the maximum number of options in camp. Reed fills a need as well as takes care of Ryan Pace's need to draft someone from Georgia. He is productive, 54 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 7 PD and can likely play both safety spots.

JRReed_2019_1.jpg?itok=WYcLyVKB

6[196] OLB Kendall Coleman [Syracuse] 6'3" 257lbs, 4.95 [40], 32" vert

The Bears need to add some young cheap pass rush depth and while early picks have gone to offense that can add a developmental player right here. Based on usage in the last couple of seasons the #3 OLB plays about 20% of the snaps, so there is not a lot of work to go around for #4 and #5. Coleman will have a role on special teams as he develops as a rusher. Coleman is not a speed rusher, he is a powerful and heavy handed rusher who at a minimum should be a presence in the run game.

Kendall+Coleman+Central+Connecticut+Stat

6[202] WR Joe Reed [Virginia] 6' 224lbs, 4.47 [40], 21 reps, 38" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need to add more run after the catch ability and Reed is built like a RB and runs like it once the ball is in his hands. He has good speed for his weight and great power and explosive numbers. IN 2018 he averaged 18 yards per catch, although that was way down to 9 this season as they went with more of a running QB attack. Reed can also return kicks and averaged 33 yards per return this season, which means we should never see Anthony Miller on special teams again.

9518135.jpg

7[226] RB Patrick Taylor [Memphis] 6'1" 217lbs, 4.57 [40], 15 reps, 34" vert, 10'3" broad

The Bears need a cheap backup RB with some size that can handle some of the heavy carries for Montgomery, step in if he is hurt, and contribute on special teams. Taylor has good size, has some gas, and he can catch the ball. His usage fell this season as did his numbers, so perhaps the Bears can get a value here.

21f36c3d-c8a8-4de8-af89-d6777d9a8f16-_W_

7[233] LB Kamal Martin [Minnesota] 6'3" 240lbs.

The Bears lost their backup ILBs and they still have some intriguing guys on the roster, but they should add someone who can fill a special teams role, while Woods or Iggy move into the primary backup role. Martin is a big, well built, thumper, who should immediately step in and be a force on special teams. He may even bring some early value on defense as a short yardage LB. Reminds me a lot of Christian Jones.

AAIKZyz.img?h=0&w=720&m=6&q=60&u=t&o=f&l

Depth Chart

QB: Foles, Trubisky, Morgan
RB: Montgomery, Cohen, Taylor, Holtz
WR: Robinson, Miller, Ridley, Wims, Patterson, Reed
TE: Graham, Burton, Sullivan, Harris, Horsted
LT: Leno, Peart
LG: Daniels, Bars
C: Whitehair
RG: Cushenberry, Coward
RT: Massie

RE: Nichols, Harris
NT: Goldman, Anderson
LE: Hicks, Urban
OLB: Quinn, Mingo
ILB: Smith, Woods
ILB: Trevathan, Iggy, Martin
OLB: Mack, Coleman, Irving
CB: Fuller, Toliver, Skrine, Roberson, Burns, Shelley
FS: Jackson, DHC
SS: Bush/Lucas/Reed

K: Piniero
P: O'Donnell
LS: Scales

• Like 2

I like Cheyenne O’Grady TE Arkansas if he falls.   Pace probably won't take him because of character, but only reason he will be low is because of character.

KC doesn't win super bowl without taking Hill in 5th.   Sometimes you need those guys.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

I like Cheyenne O’Grady TE Arkansas if he falls.   Pace probably won't take him because of character, but only reason he will be low is because of character.

KC doesn't win super bowl without taking Hill in 5th.   Sometimes you need those guys.

And that doesn't even compare. O'Grady quit on his team. Hill beat a pregnant woman. I'd definitely take O'Grady.

• Like 2

If you do take a college center in 2nd then play him at center.  

Well, don't do it if you don't get OTAs,  but otherwise get him in there.  Whitehair is not a natural center.  He is just versatile.  He is much better suited at guard.

I don't know why Daniels couldn't play center having excelling there in college.  That is a mystery, but I do think Bears should have started him at center from day 1.  

I suspect Daniels just didn't do anything in 2019 offseason and didn't come ready to play football at highest level.  He took his talent for granted.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

If you do take a college center in 2nd then play him at center.  

Well, don't do it if you don't get OTAs,  but otherwise get him in there.  Whitehair is not a natural center.  He is just versatile.  He is much better suited at guard.

I don't know why Daniels couldn't play center having excelling there in college.  That is a mystery, but I do think Bears should have started him at center from day 1.  

I suspect Daniels just didn't do anything in 2019 offseason and didn't come ready to play football at highest level.  He took his talent for granted.  

Cesar Ruiz would be a steal at 43 as a true center.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

*Trade: The Chicago Bears trade 2[50] [400] to the Seattle Seahawks for 2[64], 3[101], 4[144] [400]. The Bears desperately need to add picks and depth at key positions. They need long term options at a bunch of positions that require better than pick 163.

You will not get as much, some other 2nd round trades in the previous years:
Oakland traded a second-round selection (41st) to Tennessee in exchange for Tennessee's second- and third-round selections (57th and 89th).
New England traded a second-round selection (43rd) to Detroit in exchange for Detroit's second- and fourth-round selections (51st and 117th).

The Rams traded this second-round selection (45th) to New England in exchange for New England's second- and third-round selections (56th and 101st).
The Rams traded this second-round selection (56th) to Kansas City in exchange for Kansas City's second- and fifth-round selections (61st and 167th).

Other than that:
I really like Cushenberry
Not sure about a 2nd OL in with the top 2 picks. With the Foles trade the Bears are still in win-now mode and still need a starting SS and CB.
Same goes for QB with the 3rd pick.
Except CB you adressed the most important needs though, that's nice.
There are some nice athletic LBs available in the later rounds, taking one is very nice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Cesar Ruiz would be a steal at 43 as a true center.

I would only draft OTs and centers.  Coaches almost always put their best players at OT and C with some exceptions like Quenton Nelson.

Every OT and C that doesn't work out you move to guard and then if they fail there you cut them.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dll2000 said:

I would only draft OTs and centers.  Coaches almost always put their best players at OT and C with some exceptions like Quenton Nelson.

Every OT and C that doesn't work out you move to guard and then if they fail there you cut them.

People drafting guards are usually like college coaches who won't move a WR to DB or a RB to LB or a DL to OL but keep all their recruits at their  high school positions.

Lou Holtz and Jimmy Johnson had that down to a science. 

Lou said he would recruit safeties, bulk them a bit and move them to LB and LBs and move them to DL.  Trying to get as much speed on defense as he could.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

This is my entire outlook on OL, has been since high school. Love it. 

• Like 2