Post Free Agency Mock Draft

WindyCity

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

This is my entire outlook on OL, has been since high school. Love it. 

It's true.  You have to think outside the box.   Coaches look at young big men and they go through this mental check list:

1) Can he catch and run?  If yes = TE or maybe FB if you have the positions in your offense.  

2) Can he run, but not catch? If yes = DL

3) Is he athletic, but not aggressive or particularly fast?  If yes = OL

Then they put their best OL at T and C and left overs at G.   Because of this if college coaches were smart they would recruit mostly HS DL and make them into OL rather than recruiting mostly HS OL to be college OL.   But most don't do that.   They are picking kids from the weaker pool of talent in most cases.  It is foolish.  

If NFL had time to develop players or a legit farm system they would draft all college DL and make them into OL.  

College football coaches should be recruiting non football players from baseball and especially basketball too.   They are missing out on a lot of best athletes.

Lots of kids don't play football because they aren't allowed or mom won't let them or school doesn't really have a valid program or whatever.  Lots of kids who are 6'4 great athletes that lack skill to ever make NBA, but still have size and athletic ability to have a real shot at NFL if they play college football.

I'll never forget going to a HS slam dunk contest and watching a kid who was 6'6 and 235-240  lbs. win it.  He couldn't dribble or shoot so he went to a div iii school to play basketball. 

---He could dunk from free throw line at 6'6 and 235 as a high school kid. ---- You couldn't make an athlete like that into a DE or something?  Come on.  No college football coach thought to talk to this guy?  No wonder Illinois football always sucks. 

When I coached little league football I would go to 'travel teams' and recruit pitchers and short stops, even though dads wanted them to specialize in baseball.  If I got them they were usually instantly one of my best players.  Same deal with basketball stars. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I'll never forget going to a HS slam dunk contest and watching a kid who was 6'6 and 235-240  lbs. win it.  He couldn't dribble or shoot so he went to a div iii school to play basketball. 

---He could dunk from free throw line at 6'6 and 235 as a high school kid. ---- You couldn't make an athlete like that into a DE or something?  Come on.  No college football coach thought to talk to this guy?  No wonder Illinois football always sucks. 

Dude I always wanted Patric Young to convert to football. Can't shoot but is physical AF, built like a football player at 6'9", and was DAMN good at high pointing rebounds and timing blocks. 

Would have loved to see him get a shot at TE or DE with some time to develop. Might have only been a redzone target since his height would really make run blocking a pain but damn. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, dll2000 said:

People drafting guards are usually like college coaches who won't move a WR to DB or a RB to LB or a DL to OL but keep all their recruits at their  high school positions.

Lou Holtz and Jimmy Johnson had that down to a science. 

Lou said he would recruit safeties, bulk them a bit and move them to LB and LBs and move them to DL.  Trying to get as much speed on defense as he could.

This why I'm opposed to taking a guard with a 2nd round pick. You can them in the later rounds. The 2nd round should be used for a Massie/Leno replacement and move either of them inside. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

This why I'm opposed to taking a guard with a 2nd round pick. You can them in the later rounds.

Case in point: Leno, Bahktiari (not a guard but still), Elghton Jenkins... Tons of examples. The only exception might be Quenton Nelson and he is a game changer.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The_Romen said:

Case in point: Leno, Bahktiari (not a guard but still), Elghton Jenkins... Tons of examples. The only exception might be Quenton Nelson and he is a game changer.

Fun thought experiment: would Colts have bothered with Rivers if they didn't have an OL with Nelson on it?  

Seems like lots of teams are willing to be aggressive when they've got a star player to compliment. Except the Texans!

8 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

Fun thought experiment: would Colts have bothered with Rivers if they didn't have an OL with Nelson on it?  

Seems like lots of teams are willing to be aggressive when they've got a star player to compliment. Except the Texans!

I think like MN was with Cousins if you feel like you have a good team and are a QB away then you go for it.

Indy has a pretty good young core group of players.

9 hours ago, RunningVaccs said:

There are other good chaps on that line.

But, to answer your question--NO. 

For the Colts' sake, I hope their Rivers experiment (and IT IS an experiment) works out...

On 3/25/2020 at 10:34 AM, beardown3231 said:

Cesar Ruiz would be a steal at 43 as a true center.

Someone wrote an article hypothesizing that one reason the Bears OL regressed last year wasn't just losing Kyle Long's talent and leadership but also losing his attitude.  His nastiness and willingness to be that on the field "bully" and protector.  I agree.

Our best OL have had leader like that.  Before Long there was Olin Kruetz who once broke his own teammates (Fred Miller) jaw over a disagreement.  The Bruise Brothers OL of the 80s had several including Mark Bortz, Kurt Becker, and Jimbo Covert.

We could use a guy like that again and Ruiz has that kind of reputation.  I'm also in favor of drafting another college OC who could also shift to OG if necessary.  IMHO Whitehair might be better off shifted to OG.  I'm still surprised Daniels struggled at OC so much last year.

But in drafting Ruiz we had yet another young interior OL who has the ability to handle either OC or OG plus we add a guy who plays with some edginess and a can add some attitude to the OL.  More than anything I believe that some of what we need up there right now.

• Like 1

I don't know that I'd draft a QB as high as Windy's mock advocates but I'd get a huge laugh out of it if we drafted Morgan.  Why?

The kid is from Green Bay.  He went to the same HS as my daughters.  My oldest daughter (a huge Packer fan) knows his parents and they all hope he ends up in GB.  That would be perfect.  I would purely love to see him in a Bears jersey just so I could tease her a little.  xD

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

I don't know that I'd draft a QB as high as Windy's mock advocates but I'd get a huge laugh out of it if we drafted Morgan.  Why?

The kid is from Green Bay.  He went to the same HS as my daughters.  My oldest daughter (a huge Packer fan) knows his parents and they all hope he ends up in GB.  That would be perfect.  I would purely love to see him in a Bears jersey just so I could tease her a little.  xD

Tonyan their TE is my boss’ cousin or nephew.   I forget which.  Bulaga was a local kid too (Crystal Lake).  

• Like 1