Sign in to follow this  
YogiBiz

How Much Would You Pay Saquon?

Whatever we need to give him, is going to be too much 

Well, Ezekiel Eliott got 6 years / $90 million.  If Saquon plays at the level he did as a rookie and late last year, he'll be looking at $16 million per year.  Ideally it would only be a front loaded 5 year deal with incentives. 

Saquon isn't your typical running back in that he's not a workhorse.  He's a playmaker and a homerun hitter.  If a guy is a threat to go 40 yards on any given play, what does it matter if he's a running back or a wide receiver or a tight end?  A playmaker is a playmaker. 

I'd pay whatever we need to to keep him, which probably means making him the highest paid RB in the league. I'm totally fine with that.

However, one big caveat- I would not do it before he has played out his entire rookie contract and, ideally, the franchise tag for a year. If he refuses to play under the tag, then you have to sign him then, but I'd see if I could get him for the tag for a year. We've seen RBs flame out in year 5 recently. Have to make sure that doesn't happen with Saquon before giving him money.