Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AZBearsFan

Bears sign OL Germain Ifedi

Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

This isn't true 

He was good though.  People forget, but the infamous Tony Mandrich actually became a solid guard as well.  For Indy I think.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

This isn't true 

I thought he had went to the pro bowl. I was trying to look it up but can't find anything. Sorry for the alternate fact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I legitimately can't think of who you're talking about. I like to think of myself as a draft historian but I can't remember any OL that the Bears drafted in or around the time before Long besides Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi (and Webb *barf*).

Not a guy we drafted.  Signed as a FA.  Actually there were two.  Patrick Omameh is who I was thinking of but another was Vladimir Ducasse.  Ducasse was the one who was a fairly high draft pick.  Ducasse was playing up until 2018 and Omameh was still playing with NOLA last year.  Neither were very good for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Oh god. Omiyale?!

LOL.....no, Omigod was an OT or at least someone in Halas Hall thought he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have a new O line coach who isn't married to any of our guys.  A guy replacing a coach everyone said was bees knees who got fired after just two seasons. Coaching for a staff and GM that may be on seat if they have another disappointing season or two. 

Guys would be stupid not to come in ready to play and thinking they own their spot like they did last year.  I am guessing we get an early round rookie OT since we have basically zero OT depth.  So competition for Leno and Massie is coming too (presumably).  

Based on last year basically every spot except Daniels and Whitehair is probably open for taking by a determined player.

Guys like Bars, Coward and Germaine are fighting for their careers.  Coward and Germaine may be out of the league if they don't show well this year.   They have to realize that.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, soulman said:

LOL.....no, Omigod was an OT or at least someone in Halas Hall thought he was.

You thinking of Jordan Mills?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no real opinion on this signing other than he adds depth. I still expect Bears to address OL early in the draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He was good though.  People forget, but the infamous Tony Mandrich actually became a solid guard as well.  For Indy I think.

 

He wasn't good. He was okay, got $15M from Seattle and was cut after 1 season. Subsequently he was signed by and cut by NE before playing a game.

He was okay, nothing better.

Regardless if Ifedi is just "okay" this will be a solid signing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Oh god. Omiyale?!

That may be right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You thinking of Jordan Mills?

No.  Patrick Omameh was the OG I was thinking of.  Another who might also compare is Vlad Ducasse.  They each spent a year with us but neither of them was very good.

Mills and Omiyale were both OTs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Oh god. Omiyale?!

He was a backup. Ifedi has started 60 games

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Guys would be stupid not to come in ready to play and thinking they own their spot like they did last year.  I am guessing we get an early round rookie OT since we have basically zero OT depth.  So competition for Leno and Massie is coming too (presumably).  

Based on last year basically every spot except Daniels and Whitehair is probably open for taking by a determined player.

Guys like Bars, Coward and Germaine are fighting for their careers.  Coward and Germaine may be out of the league if they don't show well this year.   They have to realize that.  

That about sums it up.  Pace said long ago he wanted competition across the board this summer and to the best of his ability to bring in players to compete despite limited resources he's following that plan.  We also brought in a number of new coaches.

As fans we should be pleased to see that Pace is very much in a win now mode.  After 2021 it become questionable as to how well he can keep his core players together.  To get back on top and stay on top he needs to balance rookie contract with those of more established vets and blend the roster with both so he always has guys farther down the roster moving up.

IMHO these next two offseasons and seasons will prove just how good a GM he actually is.  He's made his share of mistakes and he realizes he can't afford to make anymore.  He needs his higher draft picks to produce and eventually replace the vets he'll lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, soulman said:

Not a guy we drafted.  Signed as a FA.  Actually there were two.  Patrick Omameh is who I was thinking of but another was Vladimir Ducasse.  Ducasse was the one who was a fairly high draft pick.  Ducasse was playing up until 2018 and Omameh was still playing with NOLA last year.  Neither were very good for us.

Slauson was another but he performed pretty well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He was a backup. Ifedi has started 60 games

I'm not comparing the two. Relax. I was attempting to figure out who @soulman was talking about when he said this reminds him of a signing "around the time Long was drafted."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×