Bears sign OL Germain Ifedi

AZBearsFan

4 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I legitimately can't think of who you're talking about. I like to think of myself as a draft historian but I can't remember any OL that the Bears drafted in or around the time before Long besides Chris Williams and Gabe Carimi (and Webb *barf*).

Not a guy we drafted.  Signed as a FA.  Actually there were two.  Patrick Omameh is who I was thinking of but another was Vladimir Ducasse.  Ducasse was the one who was a fairly high draft pick.  Ducasse was playing up until 2018 and Omameh was still playing with NOLA last year.  Neither were very good for us.

We have a new O line coach who isn't married to any of our guys.  A guy replacing a coach everyone said was bees knees who got fired after just two seasons. Coaching for a staff and GM that may be on seat if they have another disappointing season or two. 

Guys would be stupid not to come in ready to play and thinking they own their spot like they did last year.  I am guessing we get an early round rookie OT since we have basically zero OT depth.  So competition for Leno and Massie is coming too (presumably).  

Based on last year basically every spot except Daniels and Whitehair is probably open for taking by a determined player.

Guys like Bars, Coward and Germaine are fighting for their careers.  Coward and Germaine may be out of the league if they don't show well this year.   They have to realize that.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

He was good though.  People forget, but the infamous Tony Mandrich actually became a solid guard as well.  For Indy I think.

He wasn't good. He was okay, got $15M from Seattle and was cut after 1 season. Subsequently he was signed by and cut by NE before playing a game.

He was okay, nothing better.

Regardless if Ifedi is just "okay" this will be a solid signing.

20 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

You thinking of Jordan Mills?

No.  Patrick Omameh was the OG I was thinking of.  Another who might also compare is Vlad Ducasse.  They each spent a year with us but neither of them was very good.

Mills and Omiyale were both OTs.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Guys would be stupid not to come in ready to play and thinking they own their spot like they did last year.  I am guessing we get an early round rookie OT since we have basically zero OT depth.  So competition for Leno and Massie is coming too (presumably).  

Based on last year basically every spot except Daniels and Whitehair is probably open for taking by a determined player.

Guys like Bars, Coward and Germaine are fighting for their careers.  Coward and Germaine may be out of the league if they don't show well this year.   They have to realize that.  

That about sums it up.  Pace said long ago he wanted competition across the board this summer and to the best of his ability to bring in players to compete despite limited resources he's following that plan.  We also brought in a number of new coaches.

As fans we should be pleased to see that Pace is very much in a win now mode.  After 2021 it become questionable as to how well he can keep his core players together.  To get back on top and stay on top he needs to balance rookie contract with those of more established vets and blend the roster with both so he always has guys farther down the roster moving up.

IMHO these next two offseasons and seasons will prove just how good a GM he actually is.  He's made his share of mistakes and he realizes he can't afford to make anymore.  He needs his higher draft picks to produce and eventually replace the vets he'll lose.

54 minutes ago, soulman said:

Not a guy we drafted.  Signed as a FA.  Actually there were two.  Patrick Omameh is who I was thinking of but another was Vladimir Ducasse.  Ducasse was the one who was a fairly high draft pick.  Ducasse was playing up until 2018 and Omameh was still playing with NOLA last year.  Neither were very good for us.

Slauson was another but he performed pretty well.

• Like 3