Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
AZBearsFan

Bears sign OL Germain Ifedi

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm not comparing the two. Relax. I was attempting to figure out who @soulman was talking about when he said this reminds him of a signing "around the time Long was drafted."

It was Omameh.  Guaranteed.  xD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, soulman said:

It was Omameh.  Guaranteed.  xD

Yeah I saw that when you tweeted it. Windy's late to the party.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

You thinking of Jordan Mills?

Mills should have been the RG and Long the RT. I still firmly believe it. 

 

I'm happy enough with this pick up. Young and cheap, should be a better OG than OT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like the signing as a backup. Guy has only missed a few games in his entire career.

Seems to me that he was taken more because of availability for a security blanket as a backup than it was to ever consider giving him a starter position, so I like it. (edit: I still expect a OL starter taken with one of the 2nd round picks).

Between how Pace and Nagy dealt with Long, and never gave up on Whitehair when he was missing snaps, and their wiliness to still to push thru Leno's constant penalties....shows me that Nagy is looking to get to form a solid dependable group upfront who he can depend without having to dig deep FA scraps if someone goes down. Or keep on having to bring in Sowell and release him every week as a replacement.

It's a solid plan, imo. The game starts up front on both sides of teh ball and availability is hard to come by in the trenches.    

Edited by JustAnotherFan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I like the signing as a backup. Guy has only missed a few games in his entire career.

Seems to me that he was taken more because of availability for a security blanket as a backup than it was to ever consider giving him a starter position, so I like it. (edit: I still expect a OL starter taken with one of the 2nd round picks).

Between how Pace and Nagy dealt with Long, and never gave up on Whitehair when he was missing snaps, and their wiliness to still to push thru Leno's constant penalties....shows me that Nagy is looking to get to form a solid dependable group upfront who he can depend without having to dig deep FA scraps if someone goes down. Or keep on having to bring in Sowell and release him every week as a replacement.

It's a solid plan, imo. The game starts up front on both sides of teh ball and availability is hard to come by in the trenches.    

What would they say in Brooklyn?  It can't hoit.   More than anything Pace appears to emphasizing availability in his vet additions.  Maybe Eric Ebron or Tyler Eifert were better choices than Jimmy Graham but if they missed half the season due to injury what good would that do.  We're already paying or two TE who couldn't answer roll call in 2019.

I also agree that Pace will continue to trade on his success selecting 2nd round OL and draft at least one OL and if he manages to trade back to pick up a 3rd quite possibly two in the first three rounds.  It's an area he should begin to emphasize now especially if there is any plan whatsoever for Foles to take over at QB.  He lacks Mitch's mobility.

Leno and Massie have never been more than average to slightly better than average OTs and it's time to prepare for replacing them with draftees since FA OL have become almost prohibitively expensive.  As important as they are we can't lay out the kind of money for an OL we do for impact players like Mack, Jackson, Fuller, and ARob or a starting QB.

Edited by soulman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched some reps for Ifedi vs. Philly and GB.  

Cox absolutely destroyed him on one of first plays of game.  But he was arguing with guard so there may have been an assignment mix up that helped cause that.  Plus Cox has been 2nd best interior DL in game last 5 years and he does that to a lot of people on occasion.  

And he had a false start.  

Then later he got lazy on a field goal and caused it to be blocked.

This is the Seattle fans main complaint.  He makes too many mistakes.  If they come at a bad time they are game changing.  

But most of his reps were actually pretty good against both teams.  He is not as bad as I thought and he actually isn’t bad at all.  He honestly looked as good or better than 2019 Massie or Leno for most of his reps.

I thought guys would be blowing by him at OT and they weren’t.  I thought no way he could play OT, but he can.  He isn’t someone you love or want to have there, but he isn’t a giant hole in the line either.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I watched some reps for Ifedi vs. Philly and GB.  

Cox absolutely destroyed him on one of first plays of game.  But he was arguing with guard so there may have been an assignment mix up that helped cause that.  Plus Cox has been 2nd best interior DL in game last 5 years and he does that to a lot of people on occasion.  

And he had a false start.  

Then later he got lazy on a field goal and caused it to be blocked.

This is the Seattle fans main complaint.  He makes too many mistakes.  If they come at a bad time they are game changing.  

But most of his reps were actually pretty good against both teams.  He is not as bad as I thought and he actually isn’t bad at all.  He honestly looked as good or better than 2019 Massie or Leno for most of his reps.

I thought guys would be blowing by him at OT and they weren’t.  I thought no way he could play OT, but he can.  He isn’t someone you love or want to have there, but he isn’t a giant hole in the line either.

The penalties are concerning for sure, but can he actually block guys? Because if he can you can live with the penalties at some level. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The penalties are concerning for sure, but can he actually block guys? Because if he can you can live with the penalties at some level. 

Not a very high one though.  Offensive penalties are drive killers and we had far too many last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soulman said:

Not a very high one though.  Offensive penalties are drive killers and we had far too many last year.

For sure. One would think false starts should be lessened by a presumed move to RG since he should be able to hear the cadence more clearly, and perhaps holding penalties lessened by working in a more confined space as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

For sure. One would think false starts should be lessened by a presumed move to RG since he should be able to hear the cadence more clearly, and perhaps holding penalties lessened by working in a more confined space as well. 

And if he is not forced to rush to keep up he may lessen those false starts as well. At RG he would be in more of a phone booth kind of area rather than trying to beat the EDGE to the point of contact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

For sure. One would think false starts should be lessened by a presumed move to RG since he should be able to hear the cadence more clearly, and perhaps holding penalties lessened by working in a more confined space as well. 

Personally I'm hoping he doesn't have to start.  That would at least solve most of his penalty problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

The penalties are concerning for sure, but can he actually block guys? Because if he can you can live with the penalties at some level. 

I watched about 18 plays or so and he made his block average or above average on about 15 of them playing at OT.  

He sustained most of his pass blocks too.  You know how Wilson likes to hold the ball.  Like I said Cox ate his lunch, but regular guys he handled fine.  (edit: he just missed the two blocks.  One on Cox and one on field goal block.  I was counting the false start as a bad play - but he didn't miss a block on it).   

Too small a sample to get a real feel for him, but he definitely doesn't suck.

But it is very concerning that he made 3 bone head plays in a small sample and that is exact thing Seattle fans on twitter were bitching about.

 

 

 

 

Edited by dll2000
above

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, dll2000 said:

I watched some reps for Ifedi vs. Philly and GB.  

Cox absolutely destroyed him on one of first plays of game.  But he was arguing with guard so there may have been an assignment mix up that helped cause that.  Plus Cox has been 2nd best interior DL in game last 5 years and he does that to a lot of people on occasion.  

And he had a false start.  

Then later he got lazy on a field goal and caused it to be blocked.

This is the Seattle fans main complaint.  He makes too many mistakes.  If they come at a bad time they are game changing.  

But most of his reps were actually pretty good against both teams.  He is not as bad as I thought and he actually isn’t bad at all.  He honestly looked as good or better than 2019 Massie or Leno for most of his reps.

I thought guys would be blowing by him at OT and they weren’t.  I thought no way he could play OT, but he can.  He isn’t someone you love or want to have there, but he isn’t a giant hole in the line either.

 

 

Makes me wonder if we signed him as a swing tackle... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, G08 said:

Makes me wonder if we signed him as a swing tackle... 

In an ideal world isn’t he a 4-position backup? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

In an ideal world isn’t he a 4-position backup? 

Yeah I’ve been wondering why most ppl seem to think we only signed him to play guard. I assumed that part of the appeal for Pace was that Ifedi has experience at both positions, so he could back up multiple spots if needed. Versatility may be his best asset. .. although I have to admit I would much rather see him at Guard if he has to be on the field...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×