Sign in to follow this  
AZBearsFan

Bears sign OL Germain Ifedi

42 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Corey Levin is only 25.   Can’t find anything negative about him, seems to play really well in preseason but keeps getting released for some reason.  

Could be outside sleeper.  

Yeah I just watched him play two games once at LG and once at center.  He is an aggressive, player with nice athletic ability who can play guard or center.  He gets to second level well.  He moves well.  He is good in pass blocking.  He is not a power house but he finishes blocks with effort.  

I think he can be a starter in this league given the chance.   Nice under the radar pick up by Pace. 

I think he was buried on a loaded Titans O line and then got picked up by Denver after camp so they never really saw much of him with live reps for their team.   

Still only 25.  A good back up at least.  

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I think he was buried on a loaded Titans O line

I never watched him play but that's what I was thinking too. It's gonna be hard to get real reps with them. 

Posted (edited)

If anything. NOBODY should be complaining about Pace not at least trying to address an obvious issue. New staff, new blood....

Edited by JustAnotherFan

Posted (edited)

Another thing to think about with Ifedi.

As a coach you have to identify outside the box problems sometimes other than a player is just bad.  For example, I coached a kid who was a perfect specimen for QB; tall, big, smart, fast, great arm.  Looked great in practice.  2nd best overall athlete on my team.   

Before first game started the kid said I have to go to the bathroom. Okay fine.  Whatever.  He goes and is gone for like 20 minutes.  I am like you okay?  He says he's fine he just had to poop.  Okay fine.

He plays like garbage in game.  Totally out of character to how he practices.  Wut?  

Next week kid says and does same thing.   Okay?    I ask dad and dad is like yeah he just has a stomach bug.   Which was going around at time so it was plausible.  

Kid again does not play up to his ability at all  And its been awhile, but I think he came out of the game after a really minor hit.  

Third game he does it again and I am like okay.  Something is really wrong here.   Dad is making excuses and not telling me truth..  He ate something bad last night at a slumber party.  We only get 3 practices a week so I can't put someone else in that game because he hasn't had reps and I run a complex offense for young kids, but I am thinking I am done with this kid at QB.  

So next week I tell the kid he is no longer Qb.  I am thinking he is going to be really sad, but his relief was palpable.  We moved him to TE/Slot WR and LB and he played 100% better.  No more bathroom before games.  No more coming out hurt over nothing.

Problem (I guess) was kid has really high anxiety for whatever reason.   Great kid, great player, great athlete, but pressure his dad was putting on him or pressure or QB position or pressure from me giving him all this responsibility was way too much for him.  I was killing him playing him at QB.

Now moving him from QB totally screwed us because we had no one else who could play QB.  My best athlete who was my TB also had severe mental issues of a different sort.    I had to play a really small kid who wasn't a good athlete, but was really smart and we made do.  I think we went 6-3 and lost in first round of playoffs.

And Dad to this day doesn't like me (if he were to think about me).  I heard he thinks I ruined the kids career by moving him from QB that year.  He tried to lead a little parent revolt against me after the move.   Such is life in youth sports these days.   

But back to Ifedi and how does this story relate?  Sometimes it isn't the talent that is the problem.  

What is the pattern with Ifedi?  Talented player.   Plays really well and then makes bone head mistakes that cost and infuriate you.  

Is the problem then that he is a bad player if he plays well most of the time?   It's more like that he lacks concentration and discipline at random moments.   Question is why?  Could be that is just his personality or he is lazy or whatever.  

Could also be he has a mental condition that may be correctable.  Like ADHD or something along those lines.  Could be no one has ever tried to address it or correct it because most football coaches don't think along those lines.   

As a coach at the highest level it would definitely be something I would be looking into.  Worth a shot.  

Edited by dll2000

How can you not like this deal at this price? Nice job Pace. 

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

How can you not like this deal at this price? Nice job Pace. 

Financials are nice. Still have reservations about him walking in and starting at RG.

I would love to add a legit RG in the draft and then have Massie and Ifedi and the Pick compete for those spots.

Posted (edited)

Ifedi at RG here

Edited by G08

Just now, WindyCity said:

Financials are nice. Still have reservations about him walking in and starting at RG.

I would love to add a legit RG in the draft and then have Massie and Ifedi and the Pick compete for those spots.

We’re gonna draft someone to compete with him/them for sure. I think you need to prepare yourself that it may not be in round 2 though, especially if it’s IOL competition. I’d take one in round 2, and the contract on Ifedi certainly doesn’t preclude anything. If I’m taking an OL in round 2 it’s gonna be someone who will eventually play OT even if they may play RG in 2020.

Much has been made of Ifedi’s penalties, and rightfully so, but now that Pace has confirmed he’s playing RG here are his penalty numbers from his rookie year when he played exclusively inside: 

https://www.nflpenalties.com/player/g-ifedi-seattle-seahawks?year=2016

He had just 1 false start his first 13 games inside (totally acceptable), and no holding penalties all season (ideal). He went berserk with 5 false starts in the last 3 games (including 3 in a home game in week 15) which is weird and would need to be researched. It certainly suggests something changed late in the season which also probably means it’s something very correctable. 

That 2016 Seattle team was bad at running the ball, but Ifedi as a rookie was probably the 2nd best player on that line too (behind Britt).

LT George Fant

LG Mark Glowinski

C Justin Britt

RG Germain Ifedi

RT Garry Gilliam

I think he will be better at RG.

My issue is that line is going to still not be any good and we are going to a less mobile QB.

5 hours ago, WindyCity said:

My issue is that line is going to still not be any good and we are going to a less mobile QB.

Oh ye of little faith......Doubting Windy.  xD

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

We’re gonna draft someone to compete with him/them for sure. I think you need to prepare yourself that it may not be in round 2 though, especially if it’s IOL competition. I’d take one in round 2, and the contract on Ifedi certainly doesn’t preclude anything. If I’m taking an OL in round 2 it’s gonna be someone who will eventually play OT even if they may play RG in 2020.

That may explain their interest in Bartch.  He's highly enough ranked to earn a 2nd round pick but the kicker is he's also coming from a Div III school so his transition to the NFL may take at least a year if not longer.  So it's entirely possible he may fall a round or even two.

Old tape on Ofedi from his rookie year but some decent analysis on his play as a RG. His upside is there and I think a zone blocking scheme with him on the interior with good coaching will surprise us.

https://youtu.be/0f-jk090vFY

2 hours ago, soulman said:

Oh ye of little faith......Doubting Windy.  xD

If you look at teams that have middle tier QBs who are successful they have better OLs than the Bears.

I had too much faith in Coward going into last season.

Talent is important.

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Foles is less mobile but has better pocket presence, that's a big boost and hopefully less holding penalties.

2 hours ago, WindyCity said:

If you look at teams that have middle tier QBs who are successful they have better OLs than the Bears.

I had too much faith in Coward going into last season.

Talent is important.

Yep, talent is important but we all know there's only so much that can be done to add anymore talent this year that might make an immediate difference.  Other than RG which may well be Ifedi's turf it kinda "run what ya' brung" time.

There's no clear indication now that either Leno or Massie can or will be replaced so I'm dealing with that as a reality until it changes.

The majority of Nagy's coaching career he's had to deal with QBs who didn't have Mitch's mobility so I'll trust him and his staff to work it out so Foles gets the protection he needs and in reality Mitch doesn't need it any less.  So you can either produce it or you scheme around it just like everyone else does.  It's tough to have an All Pro defense and an All Pro OL.