Mocking Around during the Pandemic

SDotNova

First, I've been somewhat pleased with the way Joe Douglas has gone about Free Agency. He may not have done things exactly how I'd hoped, but I get there are certain variables (i.e., a player not wanting to play in the Northeast) that he can't control. 

So, I wanted to put a mock together highlighting what I would like to happen the rest of the way.

---------------------

Remaining Free Agent Signings (I won't put what I think they'll get because I've been wildly off this entire process):

Vinny Curry Edge: Even with Jenkins back, we need another player who can play edge. 

Lac Edwards Punter: I think the Jets should resign him. He's solid. Let's not try to hit a homer at punter and settle for the guy we know is solid.

Trevor Siemian QB: I think we should bring him back. He's been in our locker room and knows Gase' offense. Again, I am not trying to hit a home run at backup QB.

----------------------------

Non-Trade: Just would like to point out that I think we should keep Avery Williamson. We have the cap space and he is a solid locker room guy on a modest contract. 

-----------------------------

Trades:

Henry Anderson DL for a 2021 6th round pick: I think it's just a numbers thing. We have a lot of good young players. Having Henry Anderson around, just gets in the way of their development. I would much rather have Foly, Shep, Phillips, Q etc getting reps. 

Draft Day Trades:

Jets trade pick 11 to Philadelphia for pick 21, 53, and a 2021 4th round pick. I've considered all types of scenarios: trading up, staying put and trading up in second, etc. I think the best course of action if someone like Wills does not fall to us (seems unlikely to fall) is to trade back. Philadelphia seems like the ideal trading partner. I could see a run on the top WR in the teens. The Eagles need a WR and move up to get their guy. Like in prior years, I don't think the Jets need to get greedy here. Take a solid offer and get to work.

Jets trade 2021 1st round pick to Jacksonville for Yanick Ngakoue Edge and a JAGS 2021 2nd round pick. This might be controversial but hear me out. Ngakoue has shown to be a top 15 pass rusher and is only 25. Those types of players don't come around often. Also, I do not get the vibe that he is type of player that will mail it in once he gets paid. We lose our 1st round pick which is likely going to be in the 12-20 range, but we get a 2nd round pick that is likely going to be in the top 10 of the 2nd round. Jacksonville gets a 1st round which could be ammunition in the event they need to address QB next years. 

-----------------------------

Extension: Jets extend Jamal Adams. I think he has lived up to the hype. Let's use the salary cap space we have to front load his contract. That'll give us flexibility down the road when we have to sign guys like Darnold. 

------------------------------

Notable post draft or training camp cuts: Enunwa, Winters, Bellamy, Harrison. Just numbers again. We've added players in the draft that I think will out play them. In the case of Enunwa, I just think he is going to retire. So, we come up with some sort of agreement to part ways. 

----------------------

Draft:

Ok. So, I obviously don't know if said player is going to be available when we pick. However, I tried to keep it reasonable using thedraftnetwork. Also, even if the guy I have us drafting is not on the board, I think there will be similar players available at that pick. 

1(21) from Philly: Austin Jackson OT. We finish rebuilding the starting OL with a guy who fits our scheme. 

2(48) Laviska Shenault Jr WR: Oops. My reasoning in getting him was misguided. However, I still view him as an Enunwa clone. Now I have to reconsider if he fits in Gase's scheme. Oops. 

2(53) from Philly KJ Hamler WR: This is a Gase special. I think he's been looking for this type of player since he got to the Jets. I'm a bit concern by his size. But he's pretty awesome as a guy who you can throw screen to, etc while also being able to play outside and in the slot and threaten teams over the top.

3(68) from Giants Damon Arnette CB: A defensive player? What is this? Don't worry, it won't last long. But in Arnette we get a guy that we can hopefully pair with Bless Austin long-term as our press man corners. 

3(79) Matthew Peart OL: A smooth offensive lineman that I think fits our scheme. I have him moving to guard and hopefully being the future replacement for Alex Lewis. He's a development guy who needs to stronger.

4(120) Darrynton Evans RB: We continue adding explosive guys to the offense.

5(158) Colby Parkinson TE: Matchup guy. I see him being a guy we bring near the goal line to provide a big target for Darnold. 

6(191) Jake Hansen iOL: A development interior lineman who I believe fits our scheme

6(211) Rodrigo Blackenship K: We need to fix the kicker situation. I don't see a better use of this pick than getting a kicker who can hopefully stabilize our kicker situation.

In 2021 just to summarize, if this happens, we will have no first round pick, but we will have two 2nds (1 from Jax via Yan trade), a 3rd, 2 4th (1 from Philly from trade back), 2 5th (One from the Giants via Leo), 2 6th (1 from Henry trade), and a 7th. So, no first but three day 2 picks. and seven day 3 picks. 

Ok. Don't be too harsh on me. Just trying to have some fun. 

Edited by SDotNova
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rampantjet said:

We never saw what Gase could do with a health Q

It was short lived, but think back to early in the 2018 season. I remember the first few games in the season Enunwa was featured as Darnold's go to receiver with throws up the middle and in the flat. Enunwa stood out in the Monday night game game against the Lions. Injuries obviously made this short lived. 

Little Q's cap situation won't be changed if he is cut.   I still think Jets can trade Winters for future pick as a several teams may scream OL help at last minute.

I don't know if that is possible to trade future pick(s) for recently tagged player but it is unwise to unload high picks now. Jets have too many holes to fix and that may take 2 or 3 picks each 3 drafts to stabilize the roster. Losing 2 high picks kill that.  If Jets had one or two holes to address then we could go ahead and lose two picks for this Edge stud.

1 minute ago, SDotNova said:

It was short lived, but think back to early in the 2018 season. I remember the first few games in the season Enunwa was featured as Darnold's go to receiver with throws up the middle and in the flat. Enunwa stood out in the Monday night game game against the Lions. Injuries obviously made this short lived. 

Jets and Dolphins merged?  lol.

27 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

This will never happen.

ahh. I didn't think it was pie in the sky. What part seems unrealistic? Do you think some of these players will be drafted higher? Do you think the Yannick trade is unreasonable? Or is it the trade back with Philadelphia?

7 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Little Q's cap situation won't be changed if he is cut.   I still think Jets can trade Winters for future pick as a several teams may scream OL help at last minute.

I don't know if that is possible to trade future pick(s) for recently tagged player but it is unwise to unload high picks now. Jets have too many holes to fix and that may take 2 or 3 picks each 3 drafts to stabilize the roster. Losing 2 high picks kill that.  If Jets had one or two holes to address then we could go ahead and lose two picks for this Edge stud.

I didn't realize you can't trade future picks for tagged players. That seems surprising. The thing is that we are getting a young guy. So, it's not like we are getting a guy who only had 2 or 3 years left of high quality play. My proposed trade is a 1st for Yannick and the Jags 2nd. So, we are not losing 2 high draft picks. So, we are essentially trading back from say pick 18 to pick 38. 

Edited by SDotNova

8 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

Gase was the dolphins coach in 2018.  Q caught 1 ball for -4 yards under Gase

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SDotNova said:

I didn't realize you can't trade future picks for tagged players. That seems surprising. The thing is that we are getting a young guy. So, it's not like we are getting a guy who only had 2 or 3 years left of high quality play. My proposed trade is a 1st for Yannick and the Jags 2nd. So, we are not losing 2 high draft picks. So, we are essentially trading back from say pick 16 to pick 40. 

Apologies.  I am fine with that.    I don't have any fact or legal term against trading future picks. Still, it is unusual enough to question the legality.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rampantjet said:

Gase was the dolphins coach in 2018.  Q caught 1 ball for -4 yards under Gase

Oh ****. haha. I'm thinking of a different coaching staff. Ahh damn. That's embarrassing. Oops. 

Edited by SDotNova

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Apologies.  I am fine with that.    I don't have any fact or legal term against trading future picks. Still, it is unusual enough to question the legality.

Come to think that F tagged deadline is well after the draft.  All is good.