kurgan 2020 mock draft+ v.2

kurgan

8 minutes ago, kurgan said:

I see what I did now.  Yea, I am a visual learner, and when I had it all sketched out, I missed the transition.  Yes, I have Winfield coming in on nickel, and VWill going out.  I have Winfield and Edumunds as FS, and Minkah as the dimebacker.  Or Edmunds.  At least by midseason.  I could see Sutton being the extra DB early, since he has some experience with it from before, and leaving Minkah/Edmonds deep until Winfield gets his feet wet.  In this scenario, the extra dime DB would be Layne.

So... 'base' is Bush/VWill, nickel is Bush/Sutton (or Minkah), dime is just Bush.

I agree that the Steelers might want a true cover backer on the field, a true replacement of Barron.  That would be UG3 now.  I could see us looking at Muse/Wallace from Clemson to come and fill that role, TBH.

Sorry about the confusion.

Yes, I like the scheme comparison.  Exactly how we used White last year, but with a whole year, and some passing duties as well.

That makes sense.  Not sure Minkah is big enough for that role Full time tho.  So the question for the Steelers is to either draft a 3rd Safety or a Hybrid.  They have visited with both types.  There's a good chance they take both.  The question remains which scheme is the "go to".  

Edited by Chieferific
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Not sure Minkah is big enough for that role Full time tho.

I agree with you here, but I also just dont want him out of that deep role. Teams just flat ignored throwing to him by the end of last year. I hope that we find a lot of creative ways to use him in scenarios to get him more around the ball, but if he just wants to wipe out a third? Im all set. 

I think Edmunds is the guy to move more into the box. Has shown he is a liability the further away from the line as you go in coverage, but has been pretty solid getting to the football and getting it on the ground. Let him do that more and showcase that athleticism and size. 

• Like 3

I’m just flat out excited thinking of the defense next year. I think we grab a couple dudes to come in for depth, plus I expect big jumps from Bush and Edmunds. Add in a probable jump for Minkah too, due to understanding the defense better. I don’t expect him to get as lucky on the takeaways but I think he’ll improve gradually.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:27 AM, bigben07MVP said:

@kurgan I like Wallace from Clemson a lot in the 4th, what are your thoughts on him? How would you see him fitting in our defense? Seems like he would be a hell of a blitzer, packs a punch, and is better toward the line of scrimmage. Could he be a direct Barron replacement?

I actually like all of the Clemson safety guys a lot.  It is hard to really know what they are best at, as they are all used so fluidly.  Simmons is a grown man, Wallace is a SPARQ-y monster if undersized, and Muse is also a heckuva athlete that was used all over the place.

If I had to guess, being 5'11" and 200, he is gonna play nickel back.  I think he *could* be a FS if he was really put there and trained at it, but didn't have to at Clemson.  I don't think he is a Barron replacement.. he would be a Hilton replacement if anything.  Or a subpackage dimebacker... But, regardless, he would not be playing on early downs.  His best ability is blitzing, but he is good enough to cover slot guys.  I am not sure he is big enough to carry the extra weight he would need.

For that, I think you want Tanner Muse, the other Clemson safety.  He was an UDFA guy until be blew up at his combine and we had interest at his pro day.  I think he is a sneaky guy, and actually played ILB against spread teams late in the season.  He is actually bigger than most thought, and he will be a very attractive option.  Venebles had him as a deep safety, but that was because he wouldn't get beat deep and Simmons and Wallace could work underneath.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2020 at 11:28 AM, Chieferific said:

That makes sense.  Not sure Minkah is big enough for that role Full time tho.  So the question for the Steelers is to either draft a 3rd Safety or a Hybrid.  They have visited with both types.  There's a good chance they take both.  The question remains which scheme is the "go to".  

Not full time, no.  And I would not advocate for that either.  But, I do think there are lots of options for both types, as you say.  The Clemson kids, Jones from Texas, Stone from Iowa just to name a few.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 95lloyd said:

Would love to have Winfield and Gibson.  Not sure I see the Steelers going that route but if both were on the team I'd be happy

Thanks.  I thought about who would help us in the window that Ben is still around.  I can see both being big players in 2020/2021