I hope people are prepared for the NFL season not starting on time

VanS

China was the original epicenter of the coronavirus crisis.  They took extremely draconian measures to try and stop its spread.  They completely shut down most of their cities and used technology to track where people went.  They took extreme measures when it came to testing people.  And even with all that the Chinese Basketball Association had to take a 4 month hiatus.

The coronavirus has only recently started to hit America.  Our government hasn't taken even half the measures the Chinese did to stop its spread.  We barely have any testing.  People are still free to move around.  Guys this thing is only going to get worse over the next few months not better.   With the Summer Olympics recently being postponed, I'm beginning to believe that the start of the NFL season might be in jeopardy.  Right now I'll be shocked if we don't lose at least one month of the NFL season due to the coronavirus.  I'm just praying we don't lose the entire season.

6 minutes ago, VanS said:

China was the original epicenter of the coronavirus crisis.  They took extremely draconian measures to try and stop its spread.  They completely shut down most of their cities and used technology to track where people went.  They took extreme measures when it came to testing people.  And even with all that the Chinese Basketball Association had to take a 4 month hiatus.

The coronavirus has only recently started to hit America.  Our government hasn't taken even half the measures the Chinese did to stop its spread.  We barely have any testing.  People are still free to move around.  Guys this thing is only going to get worse over the next few months not better.   With the Summer Olympics recently being postponed, I'm beginning to believe that the start of the NFL season might be in jeopardy.  Right now I'll be shocked if we don't lose at least one month of the NFL season due to the coronavirus.  I'm just praying we don't lose the entire season.

I don't want this thread to turn into a discussion of the broader Coronavirus situation (there is literally every other website for that), but this isn't necessarily true. Now that processes are ramped up, I believe the US just became the biggest single biggest tester to date and I would imagine that accelerates over the coming weeks/months.

NFL season may not be played in front of packed stadiums, but I am of the mind that the season will be played.

• Like 1

NYC is expecting the situation to only get worse. We had nearly 100 reported deaths today. De Blasio said it will only ramp up over the next month or two and that we will be out of ICU beds in less than 48 hours.

Atlanta is already out of ICU beds.

Not sure how these large cities are going to host NFL games when everyone is dying or sick and afraid to be around crowds.

Fully expecting every sports league to have their season be postponed/canceled.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

Inb4lock

This may well end up being blocked, which is simply terrible. How something like this could become a topic adults can't discuss rationally is ridiculous. 

I'd imagine the season will be shortened, but we'll still have SOME football, and a championship, and whatnot. We'll see, though. 

• Like 3

I don't expect to see 80,000 fans in attendance by September, but I expect we will see football.   They now have a 45 min test for covid-19.  If the virus is still raging in September, I could see testing the entire NFL on game day.  Anyone who tests positive will be quarantined.  Everyone else will play in front of a TV audience.     I'm sure there will need to be testing during the week and maybe even have players isolated.  It will be costly and inconvenient for the players and league, but many will do it if it's possible.   

We can keep this topic open if it stays focused on how the NFL will handle the Coronavirus.  Do not use this topic for general discussion of the Coronavirus.

• Like 16

I'm not necessarily concerned about when the season starts, even if it does start late. I'm more worried about how all of this "social distancing" is going to affect the game in general when it does eventually start. 

Right now we're at looking at a real possibility of no OTA's, No rookie TC or preseason TC, GM's/coaches not being able to properly scout the right players that fit into their schemes, players not keeping themselves in shape during this quarantine period, teams not being in sync with one another (i.e alot of miscommunication throws from QB's), etc, etc. 

And this doesn't even include how this is going affect college ball in major way and how that could have lasting effect on the 2021 draft.     

• Like 4

If you take no precautions at all it will run its cpurse before September. 

Hell probably by June. 

Will the NFL play games with hardly any gans in the stadium? And without concessions being sold at the games. 

Edited by Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, Webmaster said:

I don't expect to see 80,000 fans in attendance by September, but I expect we will see football.   They now have a 45 min test for covid-19.  If the virus is still raging in September, I could see testing the entire NFL on game day.  Anyone who tests positive will be quarantined.  Everyone else will play in front of a TV audience.     I'm sure there will need to be testing during the week and maybe even have players isolated.  It will be costly and inconvenient for the players and league, but many will do it if it's possible.   

We can keep this topic open if it stays focused on how the NFL will handle the Coronavirus.  Do not use this topic for general discussion of the Coronavirus.

I just don't see how that's possible. If one guy on a team has it, very likely there are a few other guys that have it as well. Imagine being told on gameday that your starting LT is out or a teams QB is unavailable. That changes entire gameplans. Also think about the travel involved and how many people travel with each team (100+). If one guy has it they can now spread it to different populations nationwide. It's just not feasible to do this in the way you are describing. 

The NFL is very adverse to controversy. This would be a very bad look for them when every other sport in the world except for Russian basketball is cancelled

I'll tell you, as a season ticket holder, if they hold games in empty stadiums I'll be unhappy. If my niners are playing at my stadium, I'm there