I hope people are prepared for the NFL season not starting on time

VanS

26 minutes ago, N4L said:

I just don't see how that's possible. If one guy on a team has it, very likely there are a few other guys that have it as well. Imagine being told on gameday that your starting LT is out or a teams QB is unavailable. That changes entire gameplans. Also think about the travel involved and how many people travel with each team (100+). If one guy has it they can now spread it to different populations nationwide. It's just not feasible to do this in the way you are describing. 

The NFL is very adverse to controversy. This would be a very bad look for them when every other sport in the world except for Russian basketball is cancelled

I'll tell you, as a season ticket holder, if they hold games in empty stadiums I'll be unhappy. If my niners are playing at my stadium, I'm there 

I agree with you on the idea that I don't see the league trying to make these tests a week-to-week basis only based on singular test results. Alot of faults in that theory. The tests are not 100% guaranteed....some people are not even starting to the feel effects of it until up to 14 days, so I don't see how this would even work. Not to mention how many staff members, players, and media members there are involved in putting together a game and how much of a low supply there is regarding the particular tests---not to mention manpower. 

As far as the possibility of playing an NFL game without any fans.....I don't see the NFL doing that at all. Because if the the risk of spread is still to high to even take a chance of having fans in a stadium then I highly doubt they would take a chance with having each team (200+ people including essential staff) placed into one area. 

Given this circumstance, I would imagine (and HOPE) that the NFL's approach would more than likely be "all or nothing". Either back to normal, or cancel it all together. So even as a ticket holder, I don't think you really have that to worry about, IMO. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, viper952 said:

If baseball is back by July at worst, you gotta think football will be on time

I think the baseball season will be canceled.  NBA and NHL seasons are already over despite what their commisioners are saying right now.  The earliest I see sports returning to normal is September.

11 hours ago, VanS said:

China was the original epicenter of the coronavirus crisis.  They took extremely draconian measures to try and stop its spread.  They completely shut down most of their cities and used technology to track where people went.  They took extreme measures when it came to testing people.  And even with all that the Chinese Basketball Association had to take a 4 month hiatus.

The coronavirus has only recently started to hit America.  Our government hasn't taken even half the measures the Chinese did to stop its spread.  We barely have any testing.  People are still free to move around.  Guys this thing is only going to get worse over the next few months not better.   With the Summer Olympics recently being postponed, I'm beginning to believe that the start of the NFL season might be in jeopardy.  Right now I'll be shocked if we don't lose at least one month of the NFL season due to the coronavirus.  I'm just praying we don't lose the entire season.

I think the US is handling things fantastically. It may cut into the season because OTAs and Training camps will not start on time but I think the response of our Nation will mitigate the spread of this virus.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DannyB said:

I see no reason why the season won't start on time as long as there are no crowds, and the players on the field maintain the recommended 6 feet away from each other at all times.

Just stop. You may be giving Goodell some ideas in the next CBA. "Widen the field and extend it for more offense!" 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Malik said:

Only way the NFL season starts on time is if there's a new vaccine that props up immediately in the next month or 2. We aren't even near the peak of this epidemic yet.

Problem is it will take much longer to develop a vaccine, test it for public safety, pass through testing and distribute in mass quantities nationwide. 

Or people could just quit being morons and stay isolated by themselves for the next 2 months and we could chop the duration of this is half. I have a feeling the only reason it is projected to peak in late April-early May is because the population as a whole didnt start taking this thing seriously until about 3 days ago despite strong (but not mandated) messages to stay inside upwards of 2-3 weeks ago. 

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Problem is it will take much longer to develop a vaccine, test it for public safety, pass through testing and distribute in mass quantities nationwide. 

Or people could just quit being morons and stay isolated by themselves for the next 2 months and we could chop the duration of this is half. I have a feeling the only reason it is projected to peak in late April-early May is because the population as a whole didnt start taking this thing seriously until about 3 days ago despite strong (but not mandated) messages to stay inside upwards of 2-3 weeks ago. 

Aside from all of the blame game. The REAL reason that it is to projected to get worse before it gets better (which I do believe) is because this is simply not something that we have EVER dealt with before in history on such a large scale. The virus was so so bad that it was going to spread to regardless.  

But now I'm getting off of the NFL aspect of this subject, so I'll stop there and ask a question to you and everyone else.

If you were a team owner -- knowing what we know RIGHT NOW-- what would do moving forward? (ANSWER WITH ONLY THE NFL IN MIND AND WITHOUT GETTING POLITICAL

• Would you vote YES or NO to continuing on preseason games as planned in August, and why?
  • Would you vote YES or NO to the regular season starting on it's original Sept 10th date ,and why?
Edited by JustAnotherFan
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Aside from all of the blame game. The REAL reason that it is to projected to get worse before it gets better (which I do believe) is because this is simply not something that we have EVER dealt with before in history on such a large scale. The virus was so so bad that it was going to spread to regardless.  

But now I'm getting off of the NFL aspect of this subject, so I'll stop there and ask a question to you and everyone else.

If you were a team owner -- knowing what we know RIGHT NOW-- what would do moving forward? (ANSWER WITH ONLY THE NFL IN MIND AND WITHOUT GETTING POLITICAL

• Would you vote YES or NO to continuing on preseason games as planned in August, and why?
  • Would you vote YES or NO to the regular season starting on it's original Sept 10th date ,and why?

I think I would vote that everything is still planned as scheduled (maybe with the exception of OTA/minicamps, which are cancelled in short-term) with an official plan to re-assess May 31.

• Like 1

I know the CBA has limits on practice time and padded practices but they should amend it this offseason. 

Two a days and more padded practices to help get the season started on time and get players game ready. Maybe just do 3 preseason games. 

1 tune up(1 drive), dress rehearsal(full half) and then 3rd & 4th stringers for cut downs. 

On 3/26/2020 at 1:41 PM, Silver said:

Keep in mind there are probably 2 to 3 times as many people infected who were never tested nor had symptoms. 

Also, keep in mind, that this could be like the cold or flu where heat would force it to lay dormant at minimum or completely kill it off once it starts getting hot in a few months.