I hope people are prepared for the NFL season not starting on time

VanS

32 minutes ago, scar988 said:

Also, keep in mind, that this could be like the cold or flu where heat would force it to lay dormant at minimum or completely kill it off once it starts getting hot in a few months.

Which from my understanding is the working theory.   Obviously OTAs and minicamp are out, I do however expect TC will start on time more than likely.  We also have to remember not everywhere has been effected equally, NY and LA and now NO are serious hotspots, the rest of the country, while affected, have not been anywhere near the extent of those areas.  Here in "flyover country" it mostly just feels strange.  

They are marketing social distancing wrong, I heard a good idea today, they should just tell everybody to "do it for football"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Which from my understanding is the working theory.   Obviously OTAs and minicamp are out, I do however expect TC will start on time more than likely.  We also have to remember not everywhere has been effected equally, NY and LA and now NO are serious hotspots, the rest of the country, while affected, have not been anywhere near the extent of those areas.  Here in "flyover country" it mostly just feels strange.  

They are marketing social distancing wrong, I heard a good idea today, they should just tell everybody to "do it for football"

Olympics just got postponed a year and they were scheduled to start right around the same time NFL training camps open.

As of right now, I view training camps starting on time as a pipe dream. 

12 hours ago, sp6488 said:

I think I would vote that everything is still planned as scheduled (maybe with the exception of OTA/minicamps, which are cancelled in short-term) with an official plan to re-assess May 31.

This is fair. And is most likely what Goodell and the owners have in mind too. Taking the same approach as almost all companies are right now, which is practically taking it one month at a time and just going from there. 

At this point, it's the best thing any of us can do because of the amount of uncertainty and how quickly things could change overnight. 

2 hours ago, Shady Slim said:

the title of this thread owns lmao

like as if nah i'm not prepared for the nfl to start late and if it doesn't i'm going to personally lay siege to the white house until trump forces them to play

You're taking the title way too literal here lol.

And can we please leave out the words "white house",  "Trump", or any other word associated with politics in this thread?

I feel there's room for a good conversation about how much or less this disaster will effect the NFL in general based on different views and I'd hate to see this thread get closed because some people just had to take it there.

And I'm not saying for one second that you were taking it to this level by any means. I know you were just using an analogy of sorts that just so happen to have those words in it to make a point. But those words alone, regardless of how they were meant to be taken, often spark the wrong conversations alot of times and what ultimately ends up in a discussion between users about something that has nothing at all to do with the initial topic.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, VanS said:

Olympics just got postponed a year and they were scheduled to start right around the same time NFL training camps open.

Their proximity to China probably plays a role, that and there’s almost zero world travel right now And the foreseeable future.

capitalism is a strong motivator, even if people don’t go to games, if they televise them they could get some of their best ratings in year.

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Their proximity to China probably plays a role, that and there’s almost zero world travel right now And the foreseeable future.

capitalism is a strong motivator, even if people don’t go to games, if they televise them they could get some of their best ratings in year.

I agree that the NFL should not be compared to the Olympics in any way, shape or form. But the notion that they could just easily televise games is not exactly realistic either (outside of the game that are already scheduled to air) because of network deals set in place. 

Now, I suppose the NFL could go ahead and offer free gamepass to everyone for an entire year but this would come at HUGE risk.

Not only would the NFL take a HUGE hit in the financial department by allowing a normally paid service, (that many pay for every year and goes into the final revenue), to be free. But this would also play a big part in negotiating new future contract deals with certain networks that are set to expire in just 2 years. 

And not only would there not be minor risks involved, but this still wouldn't be solving the most important major issue with this approach........how do you fully operate a game without possibly spreading the virus to others?  

This is all part of only some of the rippling effect that the this virus has caused. 

11 hours ago, VanS said:

The Olympics are a different beast entirely, though. If you just had the athletes, and literally no one else, the Olympics would still host 10,000+ people, from basically every country on Earth. That alone would be a huge, international infection risk. One person slips through and you could end up redistributing infected individuals to dozens of countries. If even a handful of countries would still be struggling with this when the Olympics start, you'd want to shut it down, and that's a virtual certainty. And that's not to mention the logistical issues of coordinating different countries on testing standards, all the personnel and staff needed, etc.

Now, I'm not saying camps will be able to proceed, or that the season will start on time. I have no idea, frankly. But the NFL is in slightly more controllable pockets. 1700 rostered players, but you'd only have ~100 per site on gameday. 90 per site during camp. That's a bit more manageable logistically. Bit less risky in terms of mass spread. Though probably still not worth it from an ethical perspective, if we're being honest. But it's also hard to envision where we'll be two weeks from now, let alone 3 - 4 months from now.

• Like 2

On 3/25/2020 at 9:17 PM, VanS said:

China was the original epicenter of the coronavirus crisis.  They took extremely draconian measures to try and stop its spread.  They completely shut down most of their cities and used technology to track where people went.  They took extreme measures when it came to testing people.  And even with all that the Chinese Basketball Association had to take a 4 month hiatus.

The coronavirus has only recently started to hit America.  Our government hasn't taken even half the measures the Chinese did to stop its spread.  We barely have any testing.  People are still free to move around.  Guys this thing is only going to get worse over the next few months not better.   With the Summer Olympics recently being postponed, I'm beginning to believe that the start of the NFL season might be in jeopardy.  Right now I'll be shocked if we don't lose at least one month of the NFL season due to the coronavirus.  I'm just praying we don't lose the entire season.

Are you counting the time the Chinese government was covering up the disease? Arrest physicians who were speaking out? Pardon me for not completely trusting t e Chinese statistics. And not to mention the US has a much lower death rate than China suggesting that detection has been better, resources have been better, our public health strategy has been better, or that our population is younger/healthy (with some combo of the above). We have over 300 million people who live in the US. No...there is not a warehouse with 300 million ventilators collecting dust. That’s the purpose of flattening the curve. I don’t think that there is any evidence to suggest that the US situation is worse than China, and the Chinese incidence has plateaued (again, if believe their stats). 

Bottomline is that the US most closely resembles the Chinese situation and the Chinese incidence has plateaued. What that actually means is up to personal interpretation and I honestly have no clue whether or not the season will start on time because this is unprecedented. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 4:04 AM, N4L said:

I just don't see how that's possible. If one guy on a team has it, very likely there are a few other guys that have it as well. Imagine being told on gameday that your starting LT is out or a teams QB is unavailable. That changes entire gameplans. Also think about the travel involved and how many people travel with each team (100+). If one guy has it they can now spread it to different populations nationwide. It's just not feasible to do this in the way you are describing. 

Could you combat this by doing daily, or even twice daily, testing?

19 hours ago, scar988 said:

Also, keep in mind, that this could be like the cold or flu where heat would force it to lay dormant at minimum or completely kill it off once it starts getting hot in a few months.

I'm hoping the same thing; heat will kill it off.  It never occured to me that is could come back in the colder seasons, though? At the very least while it's dormant things will be back to, somewhat, normal and there can be more work done to combat its resurgence?

3 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

Are you counting the time the Chinese government was covering up the disease? Arrest physicians who were speaking out? Pardon me for not completely trusting t e Chinese statistics. And not to mention the US has a much lower death rate than China suggesting that detection has been better, resources have been better, our public health strategy has been better, or that our population is younger/healthy (with some combo of the above). We have over 300 million people who live in the US. No...there is not a warehouse with 300 million ventilators collecting dust. That’s the purpose of flattening the curve. I don’t think that there is any evidence to suggest that the US situation is worse than China, and the Chinese incidence has plateaued (again, if believe their stats). 

Bottomline is that the US most closely resembles the Chinese situation and the Chinese incidence has plateaued. What that actually means is up to personal interpretation and I honestly have no clue whether or not the season will start on time because this is unprecedented. 

I hope you are right but I fear our situation will end up being worse than China.  The Chinese government might cover things up but they also limit the free movement of people way more than we do.  Right now we are essentially asking people to self-quaratine.  I don't know how often you've been out but I still see places like Wal-Mart as crowded as normal.  Sure some places like restaraunts are closed but I still see lots of people out and about.  China took far more draconian steps.

I think things in America will get much worse in April and May.  When thousands of people are dying a day from this virus I think you'll see the idea of training camp starting in late July as unlikely.

It's a greater possibility than most of us want to think (because it's so far away). Frankly, I think the bigger risk to the season is another wave of the virus. A lot of experts are warning that like the 1918 flu pandemic, there could be a second wave in the fall. If a vaccine isn't ready (which looks unlikely), I don't see a season happening.