BayRaider 2020 Semi-Final Version Mock Draft

BayRaider

Final Version:

I know we are four weeks out but we have all the information we need. I may revise this a week before the draft with small edits depending on where Cam Newton and Trent Williams land. However, it would be Final Version 1.1 with minor edits.

This is what I actually think transpires come draft day. I spent about 8-9 hours on this one and pretended to be every team in-depth.

Trades:

- Miami sends #5, #26, 5th Round Pick to Detroit for #3, 4th Round Pick

- Philadelphia sends #21, #103 to Miami for #18

- New England sends #23, #87, #100 to Atlanta for #16, 7th Round Pick

- Seattle sends #27, 4th Round Pick to New Orleans for #24

- Cleveland sends #41 to Washington for OT Trent Brown, 2021 Conditional 3rd Round Pick (downgraded to a 4th if Trent starts 14+ games), 2020 7th Round Pick

Mock Draft:

https://www.thedraftnetwork.com/mockdraft/thniE9sqxZ

Once you are done viewing the mock,

Pick Analysis:

- Pick #3, I expect Dolphins and Chargers to get into a bidding war. Heck, you may even have the Panthers, Raiders, and Jaguars jump in as well. Dolphins will have to give up #26, which is really bad value, but I'm sure they want Tua at any reasonable cost. To me, Tua is a Top 5 QB in the NFL and it's absolutely worth it to give up Pick #26.

- Pick #4, Gettlemen likes the safe route and Andrew Thomas is the most polished LT in this draft. He's actually being slept on by everyone and can easily be argued as the #1 OT. He's not flashy, but he's damn good. This would be a solid pick for the Giants.

- Pick #6, I'm expecting the Chargers to sign Cam Newton. Even if they don't, I don't think they reach for Herbert here. They may roll with Tyrod and aim for a QB in the 3rd Round, which is why I have them selecting Eason in the 3rd. QB Carrousel between Cam, Tyrod, and Eason, one should stick and play well. Jedrick Willis is great value here for the Chargers and a Franchise Tackle.

- Pick #7, I don't expect a Rookie HC to do anything flashy their first draft. Build the trenches. Derek Brown is an excellent player.

- Pick #9, Herbert to the Jags? Going to have four Jag fans posting in this thread angrily. That's fine. Gardner Minshew in my honest opinion is not the answer. Their front office knows this. He's a absolutely excellent Fringe-Starter and Top-Top Tier Backup, but he's not a Long Term answer. He has a below average arm and cannot make certain NFL throws. It's hard to imagine the Jags pass on Herbert here.

- Pick #10, Browns go BPA, which is obviously Simmons. Browns defense could be very scary in 2020.

Pick #11, Jets biggest needs are OT, WR, and EDGE. Becton doesn't fit their blocking scheme and I think Gase is going to try to build the defense here, which was a massive problem last year. Enter K'lavon Chaisson. Has the potential to be the next great 3-4 EDGE in the NFL. He's a little raw but there's certainly flashes of Von Miller there.

Pick #12, Raiders get their Franchise WR. Jerry Jeudy. IMO the best WR of the draft. This should help the offense quite a bit and gives Gruden and Carr a #1 Receiver.

Pick #14, Bucs get a massive OT to help out Brady, Mekhi Becton.

Pick #16, I actually really see this one happening. Patriots trade up for Jordan Love. Love is actually a very veryyyy good fit for their offensive scheme. I really think McDaniels can do wonders with Love and he's probably already drooling over Love's skillset, some things he never had with Brady.

Pick #18, Eagles are thrilled when CeeDee Lamb is still on the board and they made a trade up with the Dolphins. Win-win for both teams as the Dolphins need a OT, and none are worth Pick 18.

Pick #19, Raiders draft Grant Delpit to pair up with Johnathan Abram. Delpit may have tackling woes, but he's excellent at everything else, insane range, great coverage, great single-high, and a fantastic play-maker. Mayock has a Depth Chart to the Chiefs in his Front Office, and Delpit can really help slow down the Chiefs passing attack.

Pick #20, Jags likely trade Yannick, and Gross-Matos is one of my favorite players in the draft. I think he is going to be an absolute stud.

Pick #21, Dolphins need to protect their new Franchise QB, and they select OT Josh Jones here.

Pick #23, I think AJ Terrell is a great fit for the Falcons Secondary and Scheme. They need a corner with Trufant's departure and they get one here with a trade down.

Pick #24, Ross Blacklock has Seahawks written all over him. Such an excellent scheme fit for that team. I really think Blacklock has the potential to be the NFL's next great 3T. Seahawks trade up, as Vikings probably pick Blacklock at 25.

Pick #25, Don't be mad at me Viking fans, but I think Aiyuk goes way higher than anyone thinks and goes in the 1st Round. This guy is a massive playmaker and has a very well-rounded game. He can take any ball to the house, solid route runner, solid hands, and solid size. He's my 17th Ranked Prospect, DJ's 19th Ranked Prospect, and Todd McShays 18th Ranked Prospect. Aiyuk is the perfect replacement for Diggs and do many of the same things Diggs did.

Pick #27, Saints grab one of their biggest needs, a flexible LB that can cover and defend the run. Queen is your guy. Really good fit for the Saints.

Pick #29, Titans grab one of sleepers in this draft, Zack Baun. He is going to be a terrific 3-4 EDGE player. I honestly think the Pats would of drafted him if they didn't trade up for Love.

Pick #30, Packers like to go trenches in the 1st, and I say they shore up the OL with OT Austin Jackson here. I think Jackson is really being slept on in this draft season and should be a terrific OT at the next level.

Pick #31, 49ers go with a guy you don't see in the 1st Round often, but IMO is a 1st Round Pick: Jaylon Johnson. Love this guy. Very physical corner, very good press coverage, great instincts, great size, and can learn a lot from Richard Sherman who have similar skillsets. Jaylon Johnson is Rock Ya-Sin 2.0 from last year with an even higher ceiling.

Pick #32, Chief fans about to be mad at me, but many people have this guy sneaking into the 1st. Marlon Davidson projects as a 3T at the next level and has great size and athleticism. He's a freak. Should be a fantastic replacement for Chris Jones in 2021. Even if Jones stays, him and Davidson can co-exist together and make a very very formidable team.

Pick #33, I wouldn't say WR is a big need for the Bengals but Jefferson is a Top 25 player in this class and you have a chance to reunite him with Burrow. I think the Bengals pull the trigger here.

Pick #36, Giants need a safety and get absolute tremendous value with McKinney here. You always have a couple 1st Round guys slip into the 2nd, and McKinney is one of them here.

Pick #39, Dolphins get one of my favorite players in the draft who I think will be a stud in the NFL. EDGE Julian Okwara. He's being severely slept on. Dolphins are building a scary, scary team. Better win soon Bills... better win soon.

Pick #40, Texans get WR Tee Higgins to replace Hopkins. I actually really like this BoB pick. Higgins is a solid player and should be a reliable go-to target for Watson.

Pick #44, finally the first RB comes off the board, and the RB domino begins. Some Colt fans will argue they don't need a RB but IMO Marlon Mack is not a feature back, and Taylor is a monster. Rivers will have to heavily rely on a dominant running game.

Pick #45, Tampa Bay gets the best back in the draft in my opinion, D'Andre Swift. He can do everything. Three down back to the core. Great runner, receiver, and blocker. Could be a stud in the NFL.

Pick #56, Dolphins add S Ashtyn Davis, a very physical safety with tremendous range. He's a projected Free Safety, and Dolphins keep building a scary-good team.

Pick #62, Packers get Chase Claypool. A boom or bust type Prospect who could be a Top 5 WR in the NFL if he "booms". Love Claypool and hope he succeeds in the NFL. Claypool/Adams would be a dynamite duo.

Pick #63, how did teams let Dobbins fall into the Chiefs hands? Perfect fit for them and makes their offense way, way better.

Pick #64, Seahawks are always looking for RBs and they need another one to pair with Carson and Homer. Cam Akers is a do-it-all RB and has Pete Carroll written all over him.

Pick #68, Jets need to address Wide Receiver, and surprisingly Hamler is still on the board. Gase loves his speed guys.

Pick #70, Dolphins decide to wait on RB until the 3rd, and get a perfect scheme fit in Zack Moss.

Pick #71, Chargers get a QB to gamble on in the 3rd to compete with Tyrod and possibly Cam if he signs there. Jacob Eason. He's got a rocket arm with great intangibles. He just needs a lot of fixing.

Pick #75, Colts draft their insurance plan, QB Jake Fromm. Fromm is a great fit for that Colt Offense. If Rivers arm dies mid-season, and the Colts are 6-2, insert Fromm to the rescue.

Pick #76, Bucs add Donovan People-Jones to go with Brady, Swift, Mike Evans, and Chris Godwin? Yikes. Scary Offense.

Pick #77, I feel Cleveland is getting a bit overrated by draft analytic sites like PFF, and he drops lower than expected in this draft, but he's an absolute perfect ZBS Tackle. Fits in tremendously with the Broncos. Can also kick in to guard if need be.

Pick #105, Vikings gamble on Jalen Hurts, and see if they can develop him to be Kirks successor for 2021. Probably not, but it's certainly worth pick #105 to try.

Yes, I do see Eason, Fromm, and Hurts all falling to the 3rd Round. I think that's their true value and you won't see teams reach in the 2nd Round.

Thanks guys, hope you enjoyed, one way or the other!

Edited by BayRaider

Loved the trade down and liked 1 pick out of all the picks you made lol .  Lord i hope this doesn't happen come draft day as we severely reached on many players and lost out on so much talent in each round by doing so.   Also theirs no chance in heck i would take Terrell in round 1 and im a Clemson fan who watched him every single game of the season lol.   A+ on the trade C at best on the picks.  I love you Bay and greatly appreciate the effort and work you put into your drafts but im begging you please stay away from the Falcons war room on draft day my friend :)   Now from a Falcons perspective on what i would have chosen to make the team much better and also getting good value in each round it would have went like this.

Keeping your trade for sure can't beat that

#23 -  Kenneth Murray, Patrick Queen, or Zack Baun - OLB - I really don't care which OLB all 3 are great and fill our biggest need in the entire draft and are a heck of alot better value than Terrell it really not even that close.  But if i was choosing myself i probably go Murray of the 3.

2nd - Justin Madubuike - DT - This is the pick you nailed that i really like alot and fills a big need for us as well with great talent where we picked them.

3a - Alex Highsmith - Edge - Massive fan of his and he will be in almost every draft i do for us if we can obtain him in the 3rd or 4th round.

3B - Amik Robertson - CB - Honestly don't see him much different at all than Terrell as i see them both as late 2nd to early 3rd round players. 

3c - Netane Muti - OG - 1st round talent with massive upside who has some work to do to get back to his 1st round worthy self.

The only need i didn't hit in this draft is Safety depth and maybe RB depth although it's not a massive need but i wouldn't complain about one in the later rounds and we can do that in round 4  then go BPA the rest of the draft.  

Edited by FalconFan13
  • Like 1

@FalconFan13

Thanks for the kind words! Took a longgg time to write up and appreciate the feedback!

A few replies:

- AJ Terrell is gaining a lot of steam as a 1st Round selection and I feel he's a perfect fit for the Falcons.

- Baun I see as a pure 3-4 EDGE guy, not sure why you would want him. I know you guys play a bit of hybrid scheme but it's still a 4-3.

- Amik Robertson is a pure Nickel Corner in the NFL, not to be used on the outside. Terrell is your prototypical outside CB in the NFL.

Colts - 
#34 Denzel Mims - Good Pick 

#44 Jonathan Taylor - CB or EDGE

46 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Some Colt fans will argue they don't need a RB but IMO Marlon Mack is not a feature back,

Straw man argument, Colts do need depth at RB. The only reason Mack has been used far more then the other RBs on the roster is because a lot of the packages set up for Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins were scrapped because Brissett isn’t Luck. Hines is a version of Austin Ekeler for Rivers. Wilkins and Jonathan Williams both showed while Mack was out that they can carry the load which will lead to an interesting decision about an extension for Mack after 2020 (Williams hasn’t been resigned and Hines and Wilkins are both FA after 2021). Drafting Taylor could mean the end of Mack. I just don’t see us drafting a RB before round 4. All that said without getting into the mileage on Taylor’s legs.  

#75 - I’m not sold on Fromm but I know a lot of people are so maybe I’m biased after being sure Love was QBOTF. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Colts - 
#34 Denzel Mims - Good Pick 

#44 Jonathan Taylor - CB or EDGE

Straw man argument, Colts do need depth at RB. The only reason Mack has been used far more then the other RBs on the roster is because a lot of the packages set up for Nyheim Hines and Jordan Wilkins were scrapped because Brissett isn’t Luck. Hines is a version of Austin Ekeler for Rivers. Wilkins and Jonathan Williams both showed while Mack was out that they can carry the load which will lead to an interesting decision about an extension for Mack after 2020 (Williams hasn’t been resigned and Hines and Wilkins are both FA after 2021). Drafting Taylor could mean the end of Mack. I just don’t see us drafting a RB before round 4. All that said without getting into the mileage on Taylor’s legs.  

#75 - I’m not sold on Fromm but I know a lot of people are so maybe I’m biased after being sure Love was QBOTF. 

Appreciate the feedback!

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

@FalconFan13

Thanks for the kind words! Took a longgg time to write up and appreciate the feedback!

A few replies:

- AJ Terrell is gaining a lot of steam as a 1st Round selection and I feel he's a perfect fit for the Falcons.

- Baun I see as a pure 3-4 EDGE guy, not sure why you would want him. I know you guys play a bit of hybrid scheme but it's still a 4-3.

- Amik Robertson is a pure Nickel Corner in the NFL, not to be used on the outside. Terrell is your prototypical outside CB in the NFL.

Sorry bro i just can't get behind terrell that early after watching him so much. In the 2nd round to 3rd round sure i'll take a chance on him but in the 1st i need a legit 1st rounder i can get behind that i see as a game changer.   If i wasn't a Clemson fan and watched him every game of his college career i might back off on this one but i've seen more than enough from him compared to i imagine most people have lol.  Clemson, FSU, and UGA players i know better than any players in the draft. 

Baun me and you both see COMPLETELY differently as i see Baun as a do it all SLB who excels in pass rushing off the edge.   But as i said Baun is my 3rd choice there as Murray is my #1 and Queen is my #2.

Also as far as Amik i chose him exactly because he was a nickle CB i quite like our 2 boundry corners in Oliver and Sheffield after watching what Raheem Morris turned them into and the way they played last year.  I also like Rico Allen as our nickle CB but we need him to be able to cover for FS/SS as well incase of injury.    Alot of people don't know this but before Trufant went down with injury and he was starting we was giving up around 250 ypg in the air.   After Raheem Morris took over and trufant went out injured  we went more man 2 man with Oliver and Sheffield which is both of their strengths and ended up going from 250 ypg to 161 ypg in the air for the last 1/4 of the season and played 3 teams in the top 16 in ypg in the air.  Im not saying we can't use another CB as i think we could for depth and incase of injury but i personally am really happy with the 2 starting CB's we have on the team right now after the 2nd half of last season.   If anything i would prefer another vet CB to come in and help them grow even more over another young CB but if we gotta draft one i want a nickle CB preferably to cover for Rico allowing him to be a hybrid CB and Safety.

Pats      Well that sure didn't go well.  We traded several picks for a guy that will sit on the bench. Where are you getting your info on Love, ESPN draft Gurus. 

Lets start with draft (QB) wonder boys from the past. Dwayne Haskins , Will Grier , Josh Rosen , Mason Rudolph, Mitchell Trubisky, Paxton Lynch should I go on. They were all considered 1st round material. QB of the future. You get one and your future is looking good.

What makes Love different? Nothing, but a scout probably a independent say he reminds me of Mahomes. Now its on the internet,  bam ,1st rounder.  He has done crap to justify a 1st round grade and he stunk at the combine and his last college season. I heard the excuses why, but that what they are excuses. He play in in conference no better than HS football in Texas.

Pat need the Picks to rebuild and you have them trading several of them for a draftnik special.

Sorry I like your stuff but you have earned a FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ------------------ 

28 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Pats      Well that sure didn't go well.  We traded several picks for a guy that will sit on the bench. Where are you getting your info on Love, ESPN draft Gurus. 

Lets start with draft (QB) wonder boys from the past. Dwayne Haskins , Will Grier , Josh Rosen , Mason Rudolph, Mitchell Trubisky, Paxton Lynch should I go on. They were all considered 1st round material. QB of the future. You get one and your future is looking good.

What makes Love different? Nothing, but a scout probably a independent say he reminds me of Mahomes. Now its on the internet,  bam ,1st rounder.  He has done crap to justify a 1st round grade and he stunk at the combine and his last college season. I heard the excuses why, but that what they are excuses. He play in in conference no better than HS football in Texas.

Pat need the Picks to rebuild and you have them trading several of them for a draftnik special.

Sorry I like your stuff but you have earned a FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ------------------ 

Jordon Love is a very, very good QB Prospect. Have you watched his film or just staring at his 20-17 statline? 

While what you say of Aiyuk may be true, WR is not the best value in the conservative run-first Zimmer/Kubiak Offense (see reason why Diggs wanted out).  With so many needs it feels a bit like a luxury pick that has the team trying to play catch up at OL and DL the rest of the draft.  I do like taking a shot with Hurts.  Do you envision Weaver as a plug and play?