The Lions, my view.

diehardlionfan

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

So a coach that wins 9 games it appears that’s his ceiling but a coach who has shown nothing you’re talking about after winning 9 or 10.

That seems pretty much backwards in addition to being based on assumptions used to support your perspective.

Its illogical to dismiss Caldwell simply because it fits your narrative. 

9-7 being a disappointment was Quinn giving lip service to the issue. He wanted to bring in his own guy and lacked the backbone to be honest.

Caldwell was a coach that averaged a 9-7 record during his four years in DET. To Quinn, that's not the goal. 9-7 isn't the target. It is a disappointment. (Imagine how NE fans would react to four years of 9-7 football. It shows just how comfortable with mediocrity we are.)

But, yes: Caldwell's 4th season just so happened to coincide with Patricia's wanting for a head coaching opportunity. Quinn spent a long time with Patricia in NE. He saw a talented, young(ish) coach and felt that he was the right man for this job.

It was no secret that they had to completely revamp the defensive personnel: this is something Quinn openly talked about. I don't think they anticipated losing their best player for half of the season, but they made the best of it.

7 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I would suggest that opinion is split. Players declined the Lions to play elsewhere while some state they respect him. Realistically what is any player that signed with the Lions going to say? 

Could have said a lot of things.. I came because the city of detroit are hard working people and they deserve a winner, the team has deep history, there is great restaurants, they team is almost there and I am the missing piece, etc.

I see your point though. And if the opinion is split, we are still talking about over 800 players (half of the total active players on roster) that respect our coach and would play for him, in theory anyway.

Edited by BarryTheBest

On 2020-03-28 at 8:33 AM, BarryTheBest said:

Could have said a lot of things.. I came because the city of detroit are hard working people and they deserve a winner, the team has deep history, there is great restaurants, they team is almost there and I am the missing piece, etc.

I see your point though. And if the opinion is split, we are still talking about over 800 players (half of the total active players on roster) that respect our coach and would play for him, in theory anyway.

My point is the talent pool is finite. It’s hard enough to find and keep good players. Alienating players for whatever reason isn’t a smart play. 

Detroit is a losing franchise based in a city that isn’t exactly the preferred destination for people. Personally I like Detroit but I can certainly understand why many don’t. 

A team with so many negatives simply can’t afford to add another t9 the list.

• Like 1