The Lions, my view.

diehardlionfan

6 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

These three quotes from you point out your take on Slay's perspective (IE, coach doesn't deserve respect) and how dismissive you are of that perspective (it's laughable and the opposite is a "fact").

Ok, we are done here. You simply took snippets of longer posts to enforce something not there.. Until the next topic my friend.

22 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

That would just be starting over from square one all over again without giving the current regime a fair shake. 

If things go the way that some people want and/or expect, we're going to have a top 5 pick next year anyway. We likely will have a much younger and cheaper CB1 (Okudah) and we'd have a number of pieces available that could be traded away to NE style teams for picks. If this does become a rebuild with a new regime, there will be plenty of options to add picks and make those moves next year. 

If you go into anything expecting failure, don't be surprised if you find exactly what you were looking for. Quinn and Patricia have to be looking ahead with the intent of building this team to win this year and in the future. If they don't then a new group will be brought in to try and do what they couldn't. 

They've had their fair shake. They stated immediate success was expected and anything less was a fire able offense when they fired Caldwell. They have not been anything approaching an immediate success. 

I think Okudah is a heckova prospect. I don't think it's reasonable to count on him being a CB1 like Slay. Slay was a known, Okudah is an unknown at the professional level. With Slay being gone we also open up a new hold we have to hope Okudah fills. Waiting another year to hit the restart button wastes a year of Stafford when his window appears to be closing. 

My expectations of the Lions has zero impact on the Lions. In my younger years I drank the kool aid going into seasons expecting it to be our time. I was wrong. Last year, I didn't have high expectations, and I was wrong again. I didn't expect it to be as bad as it was. 

The bolded is my point. If you don't think Patricia and Quinn are the guys, and they certainly haven't shown us any reason to think they can be, there is no point in delaying the next regime from getting a start especially when this off season has so many assets to build a new regime around and Stafford's back isn't getting any younger. 

28 minutes ago, Karnage84 said:

So if I get this right... there isn't a player that would willingly come to Detroit and want to play for Patricia but we have 53+ that would run for the hills. 

I get paid a heck of a lot less than these guys make to put up with unpleasant people. 

I think we'll win 9 or 10 games if our picks work out and Stafford is healthy. That about what we were winning under Caldwell, and it's taken us three seasons to get there. Everything was in place to improve on 9 wins, and instead we collectively fell off of a cliff. Patricia deserves heat for that.

If he were currently being coached under his own coaching style, he'd probably be publicly castrated. :P

24 minutes ago, nagahide13 said:

I think we'll win 9 or 10 games if our picks work out and Stafford is healthy. That about what we were winning under Caldwell, and it's taken us three seasons to get there. Everything was in place to improve on 9 wins, and instead we collectively fell off of a cliff. Patricia deserves heat for that.

If he were currently being coached under his own coaching style, he'd probably be publicly castrated. :P

Absolutely. The question becomes: after winning 9 or 10 with Patricia this year, are we able to continue to win games and get past 9 or 10 wins. With Caldwell, we weren't: it appeared that 9-7 was his ceiling. He was given four years and showed just that.

I know: to a Lions' fan, 9-7 is awesome. To Quinn, it's a disappointment.

Edited by TL-TwoWinsAway

17 minutes ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

Absolutely. The question becomes: after winning 9 or 10 with Patricia this year, are we able to continue to win games and get past 9 or 10 wins. With Caldwell, we weren't: it appeared that 9-7 was his ceiling. He was given four years and showed just that.

I just think its better than 9-22-1. I don't look at what MP has accomplished in Detroit and see a high ceiling... He needs to feel the heat.

• Like 1

Just now, nagahide13 said:

I just think its better than 9-22-1. I don't look at what MP has accomplished in Detroit and see a high ceiling... He needs to feel the heat.

Oh, absolutely. I don't think Quinn and Patricia entered 2019 thinking that their best player would miss half of the season. That never happened under Caldwell. Thankfully, they were able to accomplish two key tasks: 1) rest Stafford, and 2) improve our most valuable resource.

I agree about the heat. I think he's feeling it.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

When manning went down in Indy, didn’t Caldwell only win two games? Don’t know if it’s relevant or not.

Interesting. Good topic.

Manning sat out the entire 2011 season and Caldwell finished 2-14. (This was hailed as a 'win' for the Colts, as it allowed them to draft their replacement franchise QB during the following draft.)

14 hours ago, BarryTheBest said:

I tend to agree with TL and Karnage in that I would rather build out current coach up than tear him down. It is all about the power of positivity or manifest destiny if you will..

This is not to say that he and BQ for that matter dont have faults that need to be addressed and evolution that needs to occur, but can't we say that about anyone in the world really?

When we go on to win 10 plus games this year and challenge for the playoffs, it will be in part because of our coach, not in spite of him.

It is funny because there has been all this talk of people not wanting to play here because of his rough neck coaching style, yet Trufant signed here specifically because of MP per his own words. 

Like it or not my friends, he is still well respected throughout the NFL.

I would suggest that opinion is split. Players declined the Lions to play elsewhere while some state they respect him. Realistically what is any player that signed with the Lions going to say? 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TL-TwoWinsAway said:

So a coach that wins 9 games it appears that’s his ceiling but a coach who has shown nothing you’re talking about after winning 9 or 10.

That seems pretty much backwards in addition to being based on assumptions used to support your perspective.

Its illogical to dismiss Caldwell simply because it fits your narrative. 

9-7 being a disappointment was Quinn giving lip service to the issue. He wanted to bring in his own guy and lacked the backbone to be honest.

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

I would suggest that opinion is split. Players declined the Lions to play elsewhere while some state they respect him. Realistically what is any player that signed with the Lions going to say? 

And I think he was making the point that you could use that same rationale with players that they traded away. Why is Slay bringing up one situation from early in Patricia's first year, in which Patricia used a common phrase and already apologized, and plastering that story across all sports media? Isn't it only because Slay was traded?