Colts sign CB X. Rhodes

EaglesPeteC

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

Wow 1 year for only $5 million, that is a pretty good deal for him, even if he is a declining pro.  Honestly though the Colts safety position is pretty weak I would say in terms of depth, would not be surprised to see Rhodes move back to safety potentially at some point.  They will probably address that safety spot in the draft though.   I thought Minnesota was going to do that with him he gets torched in deep routes and cannot run with the receivers, might benefit from more zone coverage and safety over the top for sure but yeah Moore would be the nickel no way Rhodes could hang in there at that spot.

Rhodes wouldn’t physically be able to handle the punishment at Safety. Plus he isn’t beating out Smith and Harris.

I hate to be one of those fans who just trash a player as soon as he leaves our team, but Rhodes just didn't seem to have it last year.  I don't know if he lost his speed or if something else happened, but as others have said, he is a shell of what was just a couple years ago.  Hopefully, for his sake and that of the Colts, he can return to form and wring a few more years out of his career.

3 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

The miscommunication, the injuries and penalties were just too much. 

Given a limited role, he's okay, but he'll never be what he used to be I think.

And the Pro-Bowl honor he got last year was a complete joke.

The Pro Bowl has been a joke since they let fans vote and turned it into a popularity contest.

So is this signing lol. He is a shadow of his former talent and not even a decent CB any more. Ballard looked sharp early for the Colts but outside of Buckner he's made some stupid moves this year.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Rhodes wouldn’t physically be able to handle the punishment at Safety. Plus he isn’t beating out Smith and Harris.

I thought that before they signed Harris to the tag, but they still have not locked him up long term anyway.  He has a much better chance playing at safety than getting beat deep at CB that is for damn sure.  Maybe he still has it but his foot speed seems to be gone and he was never that fast to begin with.  Cannot be as physical as you used to be at corner and that has not helped his game either with the new rule changes over the past few seasons.

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I thought that before they signed Harris to the tag, but they still have not locked him up long term anyway.  He has a much better chance playing at safety than getting beat deep at CB that is for damn sure.  Maybe he still has it but his foot speed seems to be gone and he was never that fast to begin with.  Cannot be as physical as you used to be at corner and that has not helped his game either with the new rule changes over the past few seasons.

He just gets dinged up so often. Can’t imagine him running down hill to make a play on a RB or take on a TE or OL in the run game as a Safety often does.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

He just gets dinged up so often. Can’t imagine him running down hill to make a play on a RB or take on a TE or OL in the run game as a Safety often does.

Few safeties are asked to play in the box like that anymore, and they cannot hit like they used to either so being super physical is not nearly as important as it used to be.   But yeah I was thinking more FS not a in the box blitzing safety.  

9 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Few safeties are asked to play in the box like that anymore, and they cannot hit like they used to either so being super physical is not nearly as important as it used to be.   But yeah I was thinking more FS not a in the box blitzing safety.  

Schemes may vary across the league but the Vikes safety’s are pretty much asked to play all over so I doubt it would have worked, who knows. 

8 hours ago, bananabucket said:

Was just about to say I wouldve rather we just kept Desir.  I guess Rhodes offers higher upside but Desir was steady.  This feels like a Grigson signing honestly.

I will never hate too much on one year prove it deals though.

FYI Grigson took Bjoern Werner right before the Vikings took Rhodes.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bomont said:

The Pro Bowl has been a joke since they let fans vote and turned it into a popularity contest.

So is this signing lol. He is a shadow of his former talent and not even a decent CB any more. Ballard looked sharp early for the Colts but outside of Buckner he's made some stupid moves this year.

I take it you don't like the Rivers signing? What other "stupid" moves had Ballard made? 

12 hours ago, bomont said:

Wait to see how it plays out before calling these moves stupid lol.

• Like 1