Colts sign CB X. Rhodes

EaglesPeteC

4 minutes ago, SaveOurSonics said:

@Seth Walder 

"The two CBs that allowed the most completed air yards over expectation in 2019 are now both on the Colts." 

Xavier Rhodes was worst in the league. Rock Ya-Sin was second worst in the league. 

The funny thing is that Desir was also really high on this list as well. 

2 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

@Seth Walder 

"The two CBs that allowed the most completed air yards over expectation in 2019 are now both on the Colts." 

Xavier Rhodes was worst in the league. Rock Ya-Sin was second worst in the league. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RhodXa00.htm

66 completions on 81 targets

81.5% completion %

791 yards given up

12 yards per completion

4 TD's

123.8 rating

Basically, if you even attempt a pass at Rhodes, there was a 81.5% chance it would result in a first down.

3 hours ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/R/RhodXa00.htm

66 completions on 81 targets

81.5% completion %

791 yards given up

12 yards per completion

4 TD's

123.8 rating

Basically, if you even attempt a pass at Rhodes, there was a 81.5% chance it would result in a first down.

How many penalties did he have that resulted in a first down?

13 hours ago, Blackstar12 said:

Wait to see how it plays out before calling these moves stupid lol.

You're right, we shouldn't be allowed to have opinions on FA moves.  It's not like sites like this are used to express opinions. OK everyone don't express any opinions on any players until after the SB next year.

Edited by bomont
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, seriously27 said:

I take it you don't like the Rivers signing? What other "stupid" moves had Ballard made? 

Correct all the Rivers signing does is give them false hope as he's a short-term answer at best and well on the decline. Really I guess it's mostly that and the Rhodes signing, but the way people are talking  they're SB contenders. I see a pourous secondary, iffy aging QB, and injury-prone, thin WR corps. I have nothing against them but I don't see a contender, at best a tease who will just give them lower draft picks next year to really rebuild in the wake of the post-Luck era. 

9 hours ago, SaveOurSonics said:

@Seth Walder 

3udl72.jpg

i’m so happy this was the ad after your post 🥳

• Like 1

Saying Rhodes was bad last year is an understatement. Not just on the stat sheet but watching the games as well.

Rhodes allowed a 2nd career high (first since his sophomore year) in TD's allowed with 4, a career high 75% completion %, an extremely high career 9.5 yard per target (he avg 6.2 from 2015-2018), a tied amount low of just 6 passes defense, and a career high 7 missed tackles. He did have a career high in tackles for losses with 6 though.

That said, he was always a solid player and for his play to drop off that quickly and as steep as it did.....I have a hard time believing that this past season wasn't closer to being an anomaly than it was to being the expected norm for him. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Saying Rhodes was bad last year is an understatement. Not just on the stat sheet but watching the games as well.

Rhodes allowed a 2nd career high (first since his sophomore year) in TD's allowed with 4, a career high 75% completion %, an extremely high career 9.5 yard per target (he avg 6.2 from 2015-2018), a tied amount low of just 6 passes defense, and a career high 7 missed tackles. He did have a career high in tackles for losses with 6 though.

That said, he was always a solid player and for his play to drop off that quickly and as steep as it did.....I have a hard time believing that this past season wasn't closer to being an anomaly than it was to being the expected norm for him. 

I think that's why it's just a one year deal. It's good for both people. He gets a chance to prove last year was a fluke and they have a chance to possibly get a good cb on the cheap. 

7 hours ago, bomont said:

Correct all the Rivers signing does is give them false hope as he's a short-term answer at best and well on the decline. Really I guess it's mostly that and the Rhodes signing, but the way people are talking  they're SB contenders. I see a pourous secondary, iffy aging QB, and injury-prone, thin WR corps. I have nothing against them but I don't see a contender, at best a tease who will just give them lower draft picks next year to really rebuild in the wake of the post-Luck era. 

Who would you rather they signed? The draft is still ahead and this class has a really deep wr group. They can still get their qb of the future in this draft. Plus Rock Ya Sin and Moore are really good cb's. Sin started off with a lot of issues but he corrected them towards the end of the year. Plus he was a rookie. He's going to get better and Moore is one of the best slot cb's in the league. I agree about the wr's though. It's their weakest position right now. I just think you saying Ballard has fallen off because he signed a qb they think could possibly give them a chance to compete this year and a player for a one year deal is a little bit of an over-reaction. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bomont said:

After the season, Chris Ballard was asked about Brissett and the future of the QB position. Ballard said that if you take the wrong QB you could set the team back 4 years. The trading of the #13 overall pick and the signing of Rivers tells me that he doesn’t want to give up the capital to move up to get his QB and isn’t thrilled with the other QBs in the class that could be available. I wasn’t a big fan of the Rivers signing because I don’t know he is that much of an upgrade over Brissett but  it’s only a one year deal. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

his performance declined in more than just this past year.

It has been a long time, since my team valued the LB and interior D-line positions. Ballard has drafted more LB's than any other position since he took over. I think that the entire Colt secondary will benefit from the additions of Buckner, and Day. He now has some legit strength and power defending the A and B gap. I expect a top 5 O-line ranking, and a top 15 defensive ranking. We'll see. 

Edited by Warhorse
  • Like 2

On 3/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, seriously27 said:

The funny thing is that Desir was also really high on this list as well. 

I heard he was limited by a hamstring which for a CB is crippling.  Desir is also elite in the run game though which helps.  Head scratcher why INDY would dump Desir for Rhodes IMO.  I'm happy considering my Keys were desperate for decent CBs.  Much better chance that Desir bounces back.

I remember think Tru would bounce back last year too under his old coach and we saw how that worked.

Edited by Rockice_8