Goodell wants draft to continue outside Team venues

Johnny Nix

25 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I imagine they'll do a mock run or two beforehand.

Oh I bet they'll do a dozen lol Things will still happen that are unforeseen, at least I feel they will be. I just hope that this goes on as normal though b/c we need something. Trying my best not to sound selfish right now

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Move it back to when?

I understand the GMs frustrations, but it is almost like they think somehow 2-3 months from now the opportunities they don't have now will be available.  It's possible, but unlikely if you are looking at trends (ie Italy and the growth we have seen in this country in just the last week or so).

Exactly...move it back to when? Some people are still under the delusional impression that this is not much of anything and will be gone within a few weeks. Certain segments of the media condition their audience. This time it mattered.

Good decision by Goodell. The teams need to take it further by consulting with health experts.

You can see the corporate clumsiness in the statement when Goodell says the top priority is a level playing field for all teams. Some of these guys just don't get that they are supposed to present a sentence or two regarding health as top priority, even if they don't mean it and are trying to rescue as many dollars as possible. 

• Like 1

But most teams don't trade (granted some ask around but it doesn't pan out). And they have months before the draft to know the draft order, other team needs, and likely players and about where they're expected to go, and what they're willing to give up for Player X at various points. If they aren't all over pretty much any scenario by draft day, I doubt a few more minutes will help. I love the draft in general but God it moves slow.  How anyone can actually watch it live non-stop, even just the first round never mind the rest, I'll never know. Slower than a baseball game.

16 hours ago, NJerseypaint said:

I vote Ray Romano.

"And with the 11th pick, the Jets pick Derrick Brown, Auburn"

giphy.gif

Or Michael :-)

Sorry I thought this was a 22 second clip, not sure what happened here. 

Edited by vikes635

9 hours ago, bomont said:

Theatrics didn't slow down the event.  Excessive time rules (10 mins per pick to start? really?) did.

That time was decreased from what it had been in the past. I remember when the draft was a two day event and round 1 would start at noon and go until possibly supper time. If you give the decision makers x amount of time no matter what x is, most every pick will be submitted at the last second, often trying to talk teams into pulling the trigger on a trade or tweaking the values or trades then trying to get it approved. Take it from a fan base that ran out of time, we need every minute lol 

17 hours ago, bomont said:

Theatrics didn't slow down the event.  Excessive time rules (10 mins per pick to start? really?) did.

it definitely did. why do you think picks are leaked way in advance sometimes? or how the first pick in the draft always takes the full time, even when it's been decided 100% weeks beforehand?

the draft is a tv production, they need time to go over the past pick and analyze the fit, interview the player, etc., time to preview the upcoming pick and go over the team's needs and fit in commercials as well. if a team makes their decision one minute into the clock then the tv broadcast isn't just going to skip an entire segment they've prepared, they delay announcing the pick so they can go over everything.

it's even more blatant in the later rounds, when pick 163 has been leaked but the selection for pick 160 is just being televised.

8 hours ago, vikes635 said:

That time was decreased from what it had been in the past. I remember when the draft was a two day event and round 1 would start at noon and go until possibly supper time. If you give the decision makers x amount of time no matter what x is, most every pick will be submitted at the last second, often trying to talk teams into pulling the trigger on a trade or tweaking the values or trades then trying to get it approved. Take it from a fan base that ran out of time, we need every minute lol 

Yeah it was 15 mins before the primetime move. Honestly a good thing. Forced more teams to be decisive. The extra time was really just used to wait longer for a trade if needed.

• Like 1