Surprise Cuts?

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

I think we're gonna draft a QB, I just don't see it being before the 3rd round. Most likely IMO, it'll be a developmental guy in rounds 3-5. BA and TB aren't wasting a premium pick on a QB in this two year window we essentially have with both of them. They have the control over majority of this roster composition in this window. I think Licht will be the voice of reason for the future, but has to take a backseat until those rounds...

If Brady goes down for more than a handful of games, we're screwed anyway. Griffen is one of those guys you can cut and then find off the street/ another PS in an emergency if need be...

I m fine with 3rd rd, day 3 I have an issue.  For me, it s not even so much if Brady goes down.  Really old Qbs when they go down, they just don t get up anymore.  So I m not concerned if Brady twists an ankle.  I m preparing for when the physical decline happens suddenly Manning brothers or the injury where they just dont get up Montsna, Favre and Young come to mind.  I just think it is prudent to draft a Qb because the starter is really a yr to yr guy.  A great Qb no doubt, but still yr to yr.  I understand he wants to play to 45.  However, outside of Elway injury or physical decline decides when a Qb is done.

12 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Is Ryan Griffen really an upgrade on a rookie? He knows the system, but the talent us still devoid IMO...

Like you said, if Brady goes down we're screwed regardless, so I'd rather keep the cheaper, younger and hopeful upside guy instead...

Well with the whole Covid19 stuff going on, Griff knows the system 

I do think Griff would be an upgrade over a day 3 guy honestly 

When Jameis kept throwing pick after pick I almost wanted to give Griffen a shot

Edited by BucsDraftGeek47
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I m fine with 3rd rd, day 3 I have an issue.  For me, it s not even so much if Brady goes down.  Really old Qbs when they go down, they just don t get up anymore.  So I m not concerned if Brady twists an ankle.  I m preparing for when the physical decline happens suddenly Manning brothers or the injury where they just dont get up Montsna, Favre and Young come to mind.  I just think it is prudent to draft a Qb because the starter is really a yr to yr guy.  A great Qb no doubt, but still yr to yr.  I understand he wants to play to 45.  However, outside of Elway injury or physical decline decides when a Qb is done.

My personal thought, I agree with you. I want a succession plan in place for the future and most QB prospects that pan out are found in rounds 1-4 statistically...

I just dont think that's the direction the team will go given what I said above. They're all in on this two year window and are going to be spending their premium picks on guys they think can upgrade or win now...

If Brady went down for more than a game or so, I think we're calling off the hook to find a vet QB outside the organization...

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I do think Griff would be an upgrade over a day 3 guy honestly 

When Jameis kept throwing pick after pick I almost wanted to give Griffen a shot

I think you're in the minority here. If this FO thought anything more of Griffen than a clipboard holder, he would've gotten his shot by now...

8 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

My personal thought, I agree with you. I want a succession plan in place for the future and most QB prospects that pan out are found in rounds 1-4 statistically...

I just dont think that's the direction the team will go given what I said above. They're all in on this two year window and are going to be spending their premium picks on guys they think can upgrade or win now...

If Brady went down for more than a game or so, I think we're calling off the hook to find a vet QB outside the organization...

This is what I'm thinking too.

We had ample opportunities to talk to a bunch of QBs at the bowl games and combine and we didn't.

Even before everything went on lockdown and the NFL cut off all travel, we didn't really invest the time to meet with QBs this year.

Stanley as a fifth/sixth round pick or Davidson as a priority UDFA seems to be about what we've prepared for this year.

We've got Brady for two years. Brady, BA, and Licht believe that's our window to win a Super Bowl. A backup QB this year isn't gonna help accomplish that.

And with two years, we can spend the time next year to evaluate and interview QBs and still have him sit for a year or two.

I ll finish it this way.  This organization can t develop a drafted Qb because they lose a lot.  Arguably they have the greatest Qb winner now starting.  I don t get not spending a little higher draft pick to get a better prospect right now.  Arians tried the route of late rd Qbs in AZ.  How did Ryan Lindley and Logan Thomas work out?

The last time this team had a consistent winning culture was the SB team.  After the SB victory, they drafted a Qb in the third rd.  That Qb sat behind Brad Johnson and led the team to a home playoff game.  His career looked very promising until his ruptured spleen when he almost died.  Chris Simms being drafted and developed is how good teams conduct business.

These are the Bucs and I am fully aware it is probably going to be "we got Brady, we re good this yr".  We need to win now, we can t hedge our bet with the most important position on the field.  That s why the Bucs are where they are in the NFL pecking order as nobodys except for brief stretches.  

I m off my soap box, I just have this feeling the Pats in 2 yrs will be farther ahead then the Bucs with the same amt of Super Bowl victories over that span.  I really hope I am wrong.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I ll finish it this way.  This organization can t develop a drafted Qb because they lose a lot.  Arguably they have the greatest Qb winner now starting.  I don t get not spending a little higher draft pick to get a better prospect right now.  Arians tried the route of late rd Qbs in AZ.  How did Ryan Lindley and Logan Thomas work out?

The last time this team had a consistent winning culture was the SB team.  After the SB victory, they drafted a Qb in the third rd.  That Qb sat behind Brad Johnson and led the team to a home playoff game.  His career looked very promising until his ruptured spleen when he almost died.  Chris Simms being drafted and developed is how good teams conduct business.

These are the Bucs and I am fully aware it is probably going to be "we got Brady, we re good this yr".  We need to win now, we can t hedge our bet with the most important position on the field.  That s why the Bucs are where they are in the NFL pecking order as nobodys except for brief stretches.  

I m off my soap box, I just have this feeling the Pats in 2 yrs will be farther ahead then the Bucs with the same amt of Super Bowl victories over that span.  I really hope I am wrong.

which QBs would you like to draft then? I'm assuming in the 2nd round? Or what

2 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

which QBs would you like to draft then? I'm assuming in the 2nd round? Or what

Been an Eason guy from the beginning, not changing now.  I could see them having interest in Love and Morgan.

Optimally sitting 2 yrs from the GOAT would be only a positive.  If I m a Glazer, I would need to see a real Qb prospect drafted this yr, not a day 3 or UDFA.  Maximize that 50 million on the field, but potentially for another decade plus going fwd.  Have we lost faith the Qb Whisperer can t recognize Qb talent coming out of college?  

59 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Been an Eason guy from the beginning, not changing now.  I could see them having interest in Love and Morgan.

Optimally sitting 2 yrs from the GOAT would be only a positive.  If I m a Glazer, I would need to see a real Qb prospect drafted this yr, not a day 3 or UDFA.  Maximize that 50 million on the field, but potentially for another decade plus going fwd.  Have we lost faith the Qb Whisperer can t recognize Qb talent coming out of college?  

I totally agree and I've been on Eason since the beginning too

Only problem I see is, I believe to really make sure we got Eason , I think we'd have to take him with our 2nd

So, with that said , would you pass on let's just say; swift (mayyyybe), Edwards-Helaire, Blacklock, Jonathan taylor, ezra Cleveland  for Eason in round 2??

Love is more than likely going round 1, if somehow he was there at our 2 then you gave to take him there, its slightly a no brainer  (which happened to be the case in Walter footballs new mock which has us taking Love in rd2 )

I just dont think I'm sold on taking Eason in round 2 when there are better prospects that can help us ASAP

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

I totally agree and I've been on Eason since the beginning too

Only problem I see is, I believe to really make sure we got Eason , I think we'd have to take him with our 2nd

So, with that said , would you pass on let's just say; swift (mayyyybe), Edwards-Helaire, Blacklock, Jonathan taylor, ezra Cleveland  for Eason in round 2??

Love is more than likely going round 1, if somehow he was there at our 2 then you gave to take him there, its slightly a no brainer  (which happened to be the case in Walter footballs new mock which has us taking Love in rd2 )

I just dont think I'm sold on taking Eason in round 2 when there are better prospects that can help us ASAP

I would have zero issue taking a Qb in rd 2.  Draft the right Qb. and the spot is filled for the next 12 yrs.  Granted, this organization hss shown zero ability to do so, but the streak has to end some time.  At most, you ll be getting an elite RB for 4 yrs.  The likelihiood is the RB drafted is going to be in a rotation.  Important piece yes, critical piece no.

My dream scenerio

14.  Wills 

45.  Eason

I would move back in the 3rd if I could to round out the roster.  If the big 4 is gone, move off 14 if you can, unless Brown or Kinlaw is there.  Keep in mind, they may be higher on Haeg then we are as fans.  Guys like Dot or Peters can be signed after the draft to add depth.  In theory. they may have Haeg as more competent then anyone they could draft after the big 4   

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I would have zero issue taking a Qb in rd 2.  Draft the right Qb. and the spot is filled for the next 12 yrs.  Granted, this organization hss shown zero ability to do so, but the streak has to end some time.  At most, you ll be getting an elite RB for 4 yrs.  The likelihiood is the RB drafted is going to be in a rotation.  Important piece yes, critical piece no.

My dream scenerio

14.  Wills 

45.  Eason

I would move back in the 3rd if I could to round out the roster.  If the big 4 is gone, move off 14 if you can, unless Brown or Kinlaw is there.  Keep in mind, they may be higher on Haeg then we are as fans.  Guys like Dot or Peters can be signed after the draft to add depth.  In theory. they may have Haeg as more competent then anyone they could draft after the big 4   

Ok. I agree with almost everything.  

My dream scenario would be :

14. Wills/Brown

45. Swift

What I disagree with, is your last sentence in the first paragraph. The counter point would be that: 

1 - a rotation back / pass catching back IS a critical piece in a Brady lead offense and that a backup QB, that if everything goes well, will NEVER  see the field is the important piece and not the critical piece.

^ this ,  which I find myself more inclined to be in favor of.

39 minutes ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

Ok. I agree with almost everything.  

My dream scenario would be :

14. Wills/Brown

45. Swift

What I disagree with, is your last sentence in the first paragraph. The counter point would be that: 

1 - a rotation back / pass catching back IS a critical piece in a Brady lead offense and that a backup QB, that if everything goes well, will NEVER  see the field is the important piece and not the critical piece.

^ this ,  which I find myself more inclined to be in favor of.

Let s look at the Brady offense.  Outside of Branch and Moss, how would you characterize the outside WR talent that Brady has had?  Safe to assume average.  The talent seemingly was always slot WR, TE, and RB.  

Fast fwd to the Bucs.  2 elite outside WRS with a sure handed TE.  We ll see what Howard becomes.  So with this roster, how critical is it to find the next James White?  An upgrade over Dare, sure no problem.  Dare was pretty much a safety valve player.  Pretty sure I can find a better Dare after rd 2.  I would luv to find another James White, but it is not critical because it would be negligent not to throw half your passes to Evans and Godwin.  And please don t tell me the outside WRs cant run more slants, drags and shallow crosses.  They were in the playbook, Leftwich found that part of the playbook sometimes. Pass catching RB in this offense is important, but in the pecking order of pass distribution on this team not critical.

Edited by ravishingone

10 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

Let s look at the Brady offense.  Outside of Branch and Moss, how would you characterize the outside WR talent that Brady has had?  Safe to assume average.  The talent seemingly was always slot WR, TE, and RB.  

Fast fwd to the Bucs.  2 elite outside WRS with a sure handed TE.  We ll see what Howard becomes.  So with this roster, how critical is it to find the next James White?  An upgrade over Dare, sure no problem.  Dare was pretty much a safety valve player.  Pretty sure I can find a better Dare after rd 2.  I would luv to find another James White, but it is not critical because it would be negligent not to throw half your passes to Evans and Godwin.  And please don t tell me the outside WRs cant run more slants, drags and shallow crosses.  They were in the playbook, Leftwich found that part of the playbook sometimes. Pass catching RB in this offense is important, but in the pecking order of pass distribution on this team not critical.

alright i see your point here, i cant disagree. But only because there will be alot of good backs after round 2 ala Akers, Moss, etc. But for me i guess it just depends on who is there with our 2nd round pick. If Swift is there, im sorry but hes the pick for me hands down. But if Swift  is gone and  its Eason or Edwards-Helaire, i could could see a case where im happy to go with Eason because we could most likely get Akers or Moss in the 3rd.

Lets say Love and Swift are there at our 2, itd really be a toss up for me and id be happy with which ever of those two

but lets say its our 2nd round pick and Eason/ Love are both gone as is Swift/Taylor, then id rather go Edwards-Helaire or BPA DL/OL so it all just comes down to which prospects will be there

• Like 1

I think part of the reason the Pats utilized TEs, slot WRs, and RBs is because Revis was with the Jets and BB wanted to tweak the offense so it didn't matter when they played.

They tweaked things for Moss into a vertical, most prolific in league history, stretch the field and hit anything on any level offense.

They've had Edelman, Gronk, and White the last few years. So it made sense to get them the ball.

They ran the ball when they had Dillon. Tried it with Maroney. Did it with Blount.

Most of the concepts stayed with each version of their offense. But it changed quite a bit over 20 years